Recommend a smaller bookshelf speaker?

nyc_paramedic

Recommend a smaller bookshelf speaker?
« on: 25 Aug 2013, 09:00 pm »
With our second child born just last month and our first being 20 months old, we rarely get a chance to fire up the HT-2 TLs in the house anymore. That, and I need to keep the tube amps covered.

But I miss having some decent music playing and I was thinking of assembling a small system comprised of a mid-range vintage am/fm receiver (Realistic, Yamaha or Sony) and a decent pair of smaller bookshelf speakers. This would be placed on top of a short book shelf we have in hallway perpendicular to the listening room. I could have the local NYC classical station playing or an MP3 player attached.

Salk doesn't make the the Jordan Single driver speaker any more. And the Song Surround I's are a little too big and both were over budget for a casual system such as this.

If it can't be a Salk, what you recommend for decent sound in a smaller package? Max $400/pair.

geowak

Re: Recommend a smaller bookshelf speaker?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2013, 09:10 pm »
I tend to like the British speakers. I have had a few pair of Monitor Audio speakers that I liked. The Bronze series are for the most budget minded consumers, but sound stellar. FWIW  Also some of the older Marantz speakers are nice too. Imperial I think...

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2013, 10:22 pm »
Speaking of British speakers,  check out Flat Earth Audio's sale of ATC Entry line.  The SCM-11, which is an excellent bookshelf speaker, is 40% off while stock lasts.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2013, 10:28 pm »
Speaking of British speakers,  check out Flat Earth Audio's sale of ATC Entry line.  The SCM-11, which is an excellent bookshelf speaker, is 40% off while stock lasts.

Do you have a link? Only one I could find lists the speaker at $1745.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm »
Here is the link to Flat Earth Audio website:

http://www.flatearthaudio.com/

The website does not reflect the sale prices, but everything they have left is 40% on the Entry line.  They also have the smaller SCM-7, which is less coin.  Send a email to Teresa at Flat Earth and ask her about it.   She told me she was hoping to clear inventory by the end of the month.  I know of one other AC member who just a pair of SCM-11's at 40% off and is very happy with them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:01 am »
Have you considered powered/active speakers?  With internet connection/control you'd have internet 'radio' and everything on your hard drive available in a simple/small form factor.  Powered speakers have a 2 channel amp (matched to the drivers/crossover) inside one cabinet to serve both speakers.  Active speakers have one channel of amplification per driver for better matching/control and allowing for a more sophisticated/energy efficient crossover resulting in more dynamics, flatter frequency response, and more/deeper bass output.  Note that most active monitors are for studio use and are dry sounding, designed to reveal the warts versus to provide enjoyment.

If you own an iDevice for control you're 1/3rd of the way home.  Add Airport Express for $100 (you have a computer available, right?) and one of the following (all meant for home use):

For low volume/casual listening (all small and powered):  Audioengine A2 ($200 - easy/laid back sound, mid/bass hump); Audyssey Media ($210 - dynamic, good mid/bass punch, mids recessed, highs can be rough, good imaging, includes DAC); NuForce S3-BT ($300 - smooth warmth, pristine treble); PSB Alpha PS1 ($300 - wide sweet spot, clean, clear, delicate)

For more serious use (all active designs unless noted):  Adam F5 ($500 - highly resolving, full bass, open/forward/up-tilted sound, refined/non-fatiguing); Emotiva 4 ($350 - good value, detailed sound, big soundstage); Paradigm A2 ($600 - DSP extends bass at lower spls, multiple connection options, lacks warmth for acoustic instruments); Vanatoo Transparent One ($550 - cherry finish, DAC, multiple input options, serious bass, honest use of DSP, powered - not active)

bummrush

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:08 am »
Well it's hard to go wrong with the little Pioneers.

DRSmith

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:16 am »
You might consider a NHT SuperZero system.  I know that Dennis M. recommends them for surrounds on the cheap.  I am using them for surrounds and they seem to do well.  I have a friend who just built a 7.1 theater system with 7 of these and a Rythmik sub.  He loves it.  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  They don't play much below 100Hz, so you might want to put an inexpensive sub with them.  NHT pushes the Super8 sub which gets you into the upper 30Hz Range (37Hz -3db).  But, that is about $550 with 2 speakers and a sub.  Maybe there are better bargains on a small sub to hit $400 price target.

yetis

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2013, 01:55 am »
My suggestion, get a new amp and fire up the primary speakers. Music is an incredible and important development tool for kids. From 6 months old, my son has completely enjoyed all the music in the house. Now at 2 years two months, sits and plays, listening and occasionally getting into it. I can remember when I was very young, listening to the orchestral Peter and the Wolf, a memory that has stuck with me.

Just my $0.02

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:32 am »
Have you considered powered/active speakers?  With internet connection/control you'd have internet 'radio' and everything on your hard drive available in a simple/small form factor.  Powered speakers have a 2 channel amp (matched to the drivers/crossover) inside one cabinet to serve both speakers.  Active speakers have one channel of amplification per driver for better matching/control and allowing for a more sophisticated/energy efficient crossover resulting in more dynamics, flatter frequency response, and more/deeper bass output.  Note that most active monitors are for studio use and are dry sounding, designed to reveal the warts versus to provide enjoyment.

If you own an iDevice for control you're 1/3rd of the way home.  Add Airport Express for $100 (you have a computer available, right?) and one of the following (all meant for home use):

For low volume/casual listening (all small and powered):  Audioengine A2 ($200 - easy/laid back sound, mid/bass hump); Audyssey Media ($210 - dynamic, good mid/bass punch, mids recessed, highs can be rough, good imaging, includes DAC); NuForce S3-BT ($300 - smooth warmth, pristine treble); PSB Alpha PS1 ($300 - wide sweet spot, clean, clear, delicate)

For more serious use (all active designs unless noted):  Adam F5 ($500 - highly resolving, full bass, open/forward/up-tilted sound, refined/non-fatiguing); Emotiva 4 ($350 - good value, detailed sound, big soundstage); Paradigm A2 ($600 - DSP extends bass at lower spls, multiple connection options, lacks warmth for acoustic instruments); Vanatoo Transparent One ($550 - cherry finish, DAC, multiple input options, serious bass, honest use of DSP, powered - not active)

Actually, I did. Being a Linux geek, I envisioned a a smaller version of my Alix/MPD server attached to powered speakers via one of those USB DACs on a cable. But my better half would appreciate something where she could hit the power button and tune the dial to 105.9Mhz WQXR. And the idea of a vintage receiver with a classy lit dial appeals to both of us. We could always attach and iPod to the Aux input if we wanted to.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:41 am »
My suggestion, get a new amp and fire up the primary speakers. Music is an incredible and important development tool for kids. From 6 months old, my son has completely enjoyed all the music in the house. Now at 2 years two months, sits and plays, listening and occasionally getting into it. I can remember when I was very young, listening to the orchestral Peter and the Wolf, a memory that has stuck with me.

Just my $0.02

Buying a new amp would be very expensive. We just got our Quicksilver mono blocks a few years go. And I tend to keep gear for quite some time before upgrading. Last speakers lasted me 12 years before I go the Salks; last amp over 8 years. I usually don't suffer from upgradeitis.

I can't justify powering the amps for casual, all day listening. Much less the hours on the tubes. And risk of the kids getting burned or damaging the amps.

So this little system is my answer to having music in the house for all of us. But I don't want it to be too crappy sounding. And I'm posting hear 'cause Salk owners are a discerning bunch.

I do appreciate the reply.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:44 am »
You might consider a NHT SuperZero system.  I know that Dennis M. recommends them for surrounds on the cheap.  I am using them for surrounds and they seem to do well.  I have a friend who just built a 7.1 theater system with 7 of these and a Rythmik sub.  He loves it.  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  They don't play much below 100Hz, so you might want to put an inexpensive sub with them.  NHT pushes the Super8 sub which gets you into the upper 30Hz Range (37Hz -3db).  But, that is about $550 with 2 speakers and a sub.  Maybe there are better bargains on a small sub to hit $400 price target.

Thanks, I'll look into them. I also read about the Music Hall Marimba(sp?) which has some really good reviews. About $299.

Andre2

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:49 am »
^^ Please check the Cheap and Cheerful HiFI circle for some other options.

Mudslide

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2013, 03:15 am »
Aperion makes a really nice speaker for the price.  And they're blowing out their Intimus line.  Here are a nice pair for $375.  Free shipping to boot.  http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-home-theater-speakers/intimus-5b-bookshelf-speaker 
Their 4" stand mount speakers are even cheaper.

Also, if you like vintage electronics, here's a decent Sansui receiver, analog meters and all!
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/receivers-sansui-model-7000-classic-receiver-2013-08-11-vintage-equipment-19057-levittown-pa
(No relation to seller.)

Good luck with your search.  A guy has GOT to have tunes!   :D

Mud

yetis

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2013, 05:24 am »
Buying a new amp would be very expensive. We just got our Quicksilver mono blocks a few years go. And I tend to keep gear for quite some time before upgrading. Last speakers lasted me 12 years before I go the Salks; last amp over 8 years. I usually don't suffer from upgradeitis.

I was once in a similar situation. I owned an Art Audio Px-25. Loved the amp, but it kept me from using and listening to my stereo. I eventually sold the amp.

Good luck on the speaker search.

Chris

milford3

« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2013, 05:46 am »
Oh yeah.  Either the Axiom M3's or the unbelievable M2's.  FYI, James Tanner of (Bryston) uses Axiom drivers in his new line of speakers.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m3-bookshelf-speakers

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2013, 10:07 am »
Actually, I did. Being a Linux geek, I envisioned a a smaller version of my Alix/MPD server attached to powered speakers via one of those USB DACs on a cable. But my better half would appreciate something where she could hit the power button and tune the dial to 105.9Mhz WQXR. And the idea of a vintage receiver with a classy lit dial appeals to both of us. We could always attach and iPod to the Aux input if we wanted to.

In that case, I love my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's (currently $300/pair, 2-way monitors), not much to look at but content and sound values are outstanding.  Search for vintage dealers and look for Marantz 22xx or Pioneer x2x or x3x series.

wisnon

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2013, 10:27 am »
Vanatoo Transparent One powered (active) speakers (with built in Dac and DSP) or the Martin Logan Motion 4 (Heil ribbon), or the smaller new Emotiva Heil Monitors.

Or you can go Peachtree Audio DeepBlue bluetooth active/DSP speaker system with 5 drivers and 40hz bass. $399.

JLM

« Reply #18 on: 26 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm »
Or try a Grace Mondo ($170, internet radio/music server/alarm clock).

If that doesn't cut it plug it into one of the non-DAC powered/active monitors I listed above for a killer/family friendly little system.  (I have very similar needs and have been considering much of the same for a 2nd system.)

mick wolfe

« Reply #19 on: 26 Aug 2013, 04:54 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into them. I also read about the Music Hall Marimba(sp?) which has some really good reviews. About $299.

Yes, I'd give the Marimba a serious look. Anything from Roy Hall seems to be consistently musical in my experience.