Upgrading Speakers?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Upgrading Speakers?
« on: 22 Aug 2013, 06:00 pm »
I have never been to a audio show although I have followed the commentary here on the various shows. I have come a long way since 2009 when I first joined AC. I just now got comfortable with REM and room analysis. My system sounds the best right now it ever has. I am running a Parasound amp A51, with choice of preamps, Van Alstine ultra and a Parasound P7. The P7 gives me HT bypass and subwoofer output with bass management. The bass management is currently my favorite way to go, since I really enjoy my HT2-Tl with a couple of subwoofers for music.
With that being said, I really am interested in the Soundscape speakers. So I hope to attend RMAF to hear and compare speakers mainly. I tend to choose speakers first then amps and other components from there.

Who from the Salk circle plans on attending RMAF ?

jsalk

Re: Upgrading Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2013, 06:21 pm »
I'll be there  :lol:

- Jim

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2013, 06:33 pm »
Vulcan

sounds like you have a nice setup

I attended RMAF in 2011. Heard the Soundscape 12s and rooms full of other speakers, and placed an order for SS10s
I was that impressed

There is always a contingent of audio circle Salk members at the fest, and Jim and Mary are such gracious hosts.
I missed out on dinner with the group as I had prior commitments

The Salks really pair well with the Van Alstine amps and it is quite revealing when Jim and Frank's straight forward systems stand up to and exceed mega buck systems with more money spent in just the cabling and power supply.  The Philistines never had a chance

I also enjoyed meeting other manufacturers that I had bought equipment from - Mehran from ZYX, Thom Mackris from Galibrier, Nick Doshi, Tri Mai from Triplanar, acoustic zen, purist audio, etc.

I am curious to hear the SS8s and the ST Veracitys

Best days are early Friday (less crowds) and later on sunday (lower crowds and rooms dialed in)

If the particular speakers Jim is showing are not accounted for, they sell very quickly
In 2011 the SS12s were bought the first hour of the show!

Don't forget to spend time up in the mountains. It will be the end of the fall colors, spectacular aspen and cottonwoods at 7,000 - 9,000 ft elevations and first touches of snow on the lofty peaks

I highly recommend going.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2013, 06:50 pm »
I've booked my hotel.

Vulcan00

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2013, 07:15 pm »
Thanks audiotom, I appreciate the insight, especially on the best days ( I have a feeling for a massive turnout).

Big'un,  where are you staying?

Jim, I am counting on you being there

JonnyFive

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2013, 07:50 pm »
I was so impressed with the HT2-TLs that I just went ahead and ordered the SS8s, even having never heard them.  I'll be curious to hear your comparison between your HT2-TL's and the Soundscapes.  Have fun at the show!

Jon

Denverhifi

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2013, 09:01 pm »
I'll definitely be there!  Jim will be bringing my SongTowers with him.  I'll be torn between having the new SongTowers at home or checking out the show!

Patrick

resonance

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2013, 01:38 am »
I am the fellow who took home (Jim helped me load them them into my GMC Envoy) from RMAF 2011 the very same SS12s that Jim was demoing at the show and pictured on his SS12 display banner. Actually I bought them the evening before while Jim was setting them up and before anyone else had a chance at them. I was "ready" after hearing the SS12s at the 2010 RMAF a year earlier and pining for a year. I also took home Franks AVA 600R from the same show as well as Frank's equipment rack at the smaller speaker end of the room that year. RMAF was one stop shopping for me that year.

Audiotom, I remember sitting next to you in the sweet spot near the end of the show and proudly claiming that you were listening to "my" speakers. I can tell from all your posts that you are really enjoying your SS10s.

I'll be there at RMAF 2013 after fall color sight seeing around western Colorado earlier in the week. I get there early, guys, but don't worry I have a full quota of Salks, all I need.

David

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2013, 06:14 am »
David

It was a real pleasure meeting you at RMAF. Your SS12s have a really fabulous and unique finish.  A real work of art.
I remember Jim being really proud of how they turned out.

I recall you being there first thing day one, I didn't realize that you had snagged the SS12s the night before and also took a number of Frank's toys too.
Very nice job!

The weekend demo must have been both basking in the glow and anxious to take your new prizes home.
Then again, you had a years worth of patience behind you.

What are you using for a source?

The San Juans and Elk Mountain Ranges should be in splendid fall colors.
I love that area and make the drive every time I am in the Front Range
usually in a rental 4 wheel drive jeep cherokee

I was just there in Early July with my son but may be tempted to head out again

David, post more often, we would love to hear your impressions, and pics in your Salk habitat

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2013, 11:33 am »
Thanks audiotom, I appreciate the insight, especially on the best days ( I have a feeling for a massive turnout).

Big'un,  where are you staying?

Jim, I am counting on you being there

Hyatt - same price as the even hotel and nicer rooms across the street.

audiotom

• for everything music
« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2013, 01:06 pm »
Hyatt - same price as the even hotel and nicer rooms across the street.

I concur with Big Red
less chaos and the Hyatt is a nice place

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2013, 01:22 pm »
I've booked my hotel.

Have to cancel this trip.  Just can't swing it this year.

Vulcan00

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2013, 01:48 pm »
I am having some work issues conflicting with my trip too. I am still hanging in hoping to make it.