HT3's and a sub or Soundscape 10s with no sub?

grantc79

HT3's and a sub or Soundscape 10s with no sub?
« on: 6 May 2013, 07:10 pm »
I've been considering selling my HT3's, HTC, and Salk Rythmik sub in order to buy a set of Soundscapes and matching center for the media room we are going to have in the next house.

I'm wondering is the upgrade in sound worth it to lose the sub?

Will I miss the sub much for movies?

I'd essentially drop the sub all together and just stick with the mains full range.

Anyone owned both that could shed some light on this? I've gotten Jim's opinion but I'd love to hear from someone who owns or owned both just to get more input.

Nuance

Re: HT3's and a sub or Soundscape 10s with no sub?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2013, 08:42 pm »
I would never go sans subwoofer for movies, so if I was you I'd compromise and get SS8's with a Salk Rythmik subwoofer.  It's the best of both worlds.

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2013, 09:06 pm »
+1. I don't know how good the SS10 is but to beat the SS8 with dual Rythmik subs is not easy. ( in HT and 2 channel stereo)  :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2013, 01:56 am »
I can understand getting a Rythmik sub to use with music, a lesser sub will just muddy up the sound but... if you are just going to use the sub for movies (like I do) get one or two Dayton subs from Parts Express. After a year or two upgrade to a Rythmik if you feel the need.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95

I'll be building a servo sub to match my speakers but I have remodeling bills to pay off first.

Wayne

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2013, 04:41 am »
A powered sub will always deliver a lot more punch than a passive woofer in a tower speaker. I have SS 12s and it's true there too. I have everything under 60 Hz going to the sub. Couldn't imagine going without it for both music and TV/movies.

glangford

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2013, 09:54 am »
Subs are a personnal choice. I decided to go sans sub for a 2.0 system. I was buying songtowers so I went with the lower bass extension supercharged songtowers and don't feel I'm missing anything.  As far as movies go my wife and I are both happy with the SCST arrangement. Loud movies with alot of LFE are not our favorite genre of movie anyway.  For those movies like that I use audyssey dynamic volume evening mode to tone it down anway.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2013, 02:49 pm »
I have SS 12s and it's true there too. I have everything under 60 Hz going to the sub.

With a 60 Hz crossover at all times, I'm curious why someone might pay $4K more for SoundScape 12s instead of SoundScape 10s.

Steve

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2013, 04:08 pm »
^ If you have the money to spend, the question is why not get the SS12's?  If I was rich I'd own the SS12's and four LMS5400 Ultra subwoofers for my music system.  Why?  Because I can. :D

srb

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2013, 04:24 pm »
^ I guess if you're rich it doesn't matter.  But I have also read the musings of several SoundScape purchasers who had to scrimp, save and budget cut to afford larger SoundScapes.  One guy, in order to make it happen, withdrew his kids from Camp Crystal Creek and enrolled them in Camp Stagnant Swamp.

I suppose it could be considered a backup plan just in case your subwoofer(s) one day exploded.

Steve
« Last Edit: 7 May 2013, 06:53 pm by srb »

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2013, 06:14 pm »

I suppose it could be considered a backup plan just in case your subwoofer(s) one day exploded.

Steve

LOL - nice!

Frans

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2013, 04:38 am »
With a 60 Hz crossover at all times, I'm curious why someone might pay $4K more for SoundScape 12s instead of SoundScape 10s.

Steve

Actually it's 50Hz and that's the lowest setting available. I'm looking for a pre-amp that offers more flexibility. Pure Direct sounds awful, but Direct with minimal room correction and Sub sounds really good. This is why I have it set up this way for now, with room for improvement later. My intent is to not have to upgrade speakers - ever again if possible. No regrets.

Now excuse me so I can go supervise the Swedish Swimsuit Team as they wash my Ferrari.

JonnyFive

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2013, 03:26 pm »
Sub or dual subs for sure!!  It'll clean up the bass of the Ht3's and deliver way more punch for movies.

I listened to Jim K's (saturn94) Ht-3s with and without a sub (for music) and I heartily preferred them with a sub (crossed at 60 hz I believe).  Way more articulate in the bass region this way. 

What does a Salk sub run and are there any other options to consider in order to get dual subs?

Jon

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2013, 04:07 pm »
Sub or dual subs for sure!!  It'll clean up the bass of the Ht3's and deliver way more punch for movies.

I listened to Jim K's (saturn94) Ht-3s with and without a sub (for music) and I heartily preferred them with a sub (crossed at 60 hz I believe).  Way more articulate in the bass region this way. 

What does a Salk sub run and are there any other options to consider in order to get dual subs?

Jon

Jim has HT3's now?  He started out with HT2's--did he switch?

JonnyFive

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2013, 04:58 pm »

Sorry, Ht2's!  My mistake, Dennis.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2013, 06:20 pm »
I've been toying with the idea of either upgrading my ss8s to ss12s or just adding a pair of subs into the system. Although I am pleased overall with the sound, there are times I feel the need for some added punch. If I opt for 2 subs am I correct in running the ss8s full and cross the subs actively?

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2013, 07:27 pm »

Jon

Sorry, Ht2's!  My mistake, Dennis.

Ha, I see you guys talking about me. :wink:

Just for clarity, I had HT2-TLs crossed over at 80hz to an SVS 16-46PC+ sub.  Right now I'm Salkless though (sold them; I feel like an orphan visiting this thread now  :( )

Now I'm just waiting for Jon to get his SS8s.  After awhile he's bound to want to upgrade and I'm sure he will offer me an excellent deal. :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2013, 07:38 pm »
I would never go sans subwoofer for movies, so if I was you I'd compromise and get SS8's with a Salk Rythmik subwoofer.  It's the best of both worlds.

+1

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2013, 10:58 pm »
I have both HT3's and Soundscape 10's

The 10's definitely go lower and will take more power to do so. They are so open and euphonic throughout the frequency range, you will get lost in the music. I have mine bi-amped
The low end is more pronounced on the 10's and more than enough for serious 2 channel listening

that said you are going serious home theater
I have V3's and will probably swap in my HT3s in my home theatre room.
I use a JL Audio F113. A 13" small sub with a serious delivery. It works fabulous for movies.
my son rattles the walls when he plays Batman a little too loud

Let us know what amp you are using and your room size

Frankly I wouldn't sub with an SS10

enjoy

Frans

« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2013, 05:09 am »
IMHO there's no "sub"stitute for a good powered sub.

The moment I disable it, by setting all speakers to Large and turning SW to "off" on my receiver, I greatly miss the low-end punch, especially in movies and video games.

I have a dual 12" powered sub (100 watts RMS 350 Watts Peak) FWIW.

MikeC78

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2013, 06:31 am »
I'm waiting on dual JTR S1's and my W16 SCST's.  I'm a little leery on the subs... While they have huge output, im not so sure on how articulate they will be for music.. We'll see here soon.  I'm upgrading from dual SVS SB13's.