AKFest 2012

music_lover_v2

AKFest 2012
« on: 28 Apr 2012, 06:22 am »
Could someone attending AKFest 2012 this weekend please post photos and thoughts here..?
Thanks.

Big Red Machine

Re: AKFest 2012
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2012, 10:32 am »
We'll post in the AKFest thread that was already in existence so as not to proliferate threads.  I can say that the speakers Jim has brought to the show, most of which we set up and tried out on AVA gear, are the ugliest you have ever seen!! :lol:

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2012, 11:22 am »
Linky to said thread?!

Paweeeze :-)

Big Red Machine

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:03 pm »
We'll post in the AKFest thread that was already in existence so as not to proliferate threads.  I can say that the speakers Jim has brought to the show, most of which we set up and tried out on AVA gear, are the ugliest you have ever seen!! :lol:
Pics or it didn't happen. :)

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 04:57 am »
Okay, so what is that monitor speaker with the RAAL and how much does it cost?  Specs!! :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2012, 10:30 am »
Okay, so what is that monitor speaker with the RAAL and how much does it cost?  Specs!! :D

$3500 and it will shame your ST's.

jd3

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2012, 01:23 pm »
^^

Yeah, it is pretty awesome! 

Kinger

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:42 pm »
Does it use the same midrange driver as the ST's?  How does it best the ST's?  Highs, midrange, imaging, soundstage?  Guessing the ST's play a little lower, but crossed to a sub  :wink:

saeyedoc

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:49 pm »
Does it use the same midrange driver as the ST's?  How does it best the ST's?  Highs, midrange, imaging, soundstage?  Guessing the ST's play a little lower, but crossed to a sub  :wink:
I think it was in another thread that it uses a Scanspeak Illuminator.
I would like more details on that as well.  What line does it fit in?

jd3

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:17 pm »
Yeah, RAAL/Illuminator.  Jim said he got a request from a customer to build it, so it's not part of an existing line.  He didn't put it on the website as he felt there weren't too many people interested in a $3500 monitor.  Seemed to be a lot of interest at AKFest though once folks heard it:icon_lol:
Jim had the WOW1's hooked up first, and their bass output is unreal for their size;  I swear I could feel the bass and I was in the back of the room(!), but when he hooked these up there was a collective "wow' in the room.
Room wasn't great but to me they presented a big soundstage.  Highs were typical RAAL, and hey, it's one of Jim's speakers, so the midrange was typical Salk.
I'll let others that were there chime in with their impressions.  In my mind Jim's got another winner!

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:20 pm »
$3500 and it will shame your ST's.

Really?  WOW - you've given me something to think about.  Do you know their impedance and sensitivity?

saeyedoc

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:55 pm »
I've been looking at monitors in that price range, would also like some details.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2012, 10:08 pm »
I've been looking at monitors in that price range, would also like some details.

They got a lot of play time on Sunday.  Typical Salk sound, just less bass.  In a small room it might have enough bass depending on taste, genre, etc.

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2012, 04:31 pm »
First, let me say thanks to all who visited our room at AKFest.  We had a great time meeting old friends and making new ones.  I get to hear our speakers all the time, so for me, the best part of the show is being able to interact with a great number of individuals who share our passion for high quality sound.

Looking back over the last couple of days, I have to admit that I may have underestimated the demand for high quality bookshelf/stand mounted monitors.  As I mentioned to quite a few people at the show, we never posted the RAAL/Illuminator design on our web site as I thought the demand for a $3500 bookshelf speaker would be quite limited.  Based on the show responses, I may have been wrong.  Both this design and the even smaller WOW1's were very well received.

Since the only thing the RAAL/Illuminator share in common with any of our other speakers is the tweeter, we will need to come up with a name for these.  Any ideas would be welcome.

As for specs, they are 14" tall, 8" wide and 11" deep.  They weigh 26 pounds each (fairly heft for their size).  They are front ported with a slot port.  They are about 84db sensitive.  They have an F3 of 45Hz and an F6 of 40Hz, which is surprising for a monitor with a 5" driver.

Let the naming begin...

- Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2012, 04:37 pm »
Let the naming begin...

- Jim
Salk Mini

saeyedoc

« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2012, 04:41 pm »
Since the only thing the RAAL/Illuminator share in common with any of our other speakers is the tweeter, we will need to come up with a name for these.  Any ideas would be welcome.

As for specs, they are 14" tall, 8" wide and 11" deep.  They weigh 26 pounds each (fairly heft for their size).  They are front ported with a slot port.  They are about 84db sensitive.  They have an F3 of 45Hz and an F6 of 40Hz, which is surprising for a monitor with a 5" driver.

Let the naming begin...

- Jim
So about the same size as the Song surrounds? Do they share a cabinet with any other model? Supercharged song surrounds? Mini soundscape monitor?

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2012, 05:04 pm »
So about the same size as the Song surrounds? Do they share a cabinet with any other model? Supercharged song surrounds? Mini soundscape monitor?

They are 1" taller than the SongSurrounds and 1" deeper.  They would be roughly the same size, except that some internal volume was added to accommodate the front-firing slot port.  The cabinet is unique to this design.

- Jim

coke

« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2012, 05:11 pm »
Not exactly sure how RAAL is pronounced, but The Ralminator or Raalminator would be a cool name  :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2012, 05:20 pm »
Not exactly sure how RAAL is pronounced, but The Ralminator or Raalminator would be a cool name  :thumb:

LOL, I was thinking of the same name. :thumb: