Soundscape 10s Arrive

herb999

Re: Soundscape 10s Arrive
« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:52 pm »
I'm the SF area guy that Jim referred to. I'm in the east bay hills.
System has VAC pre and 160 mono amps, various CD/SACD players including APL NWO-M. Email at herb@email4us.net or call 510/339-3974.

Herb

K Shep

« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:18 am »
Gorgeous speakers, great ideas all around by you guys and Jims group, they are really beautiful!!!

Kshep- Hey there!!!  Good to see ya!! Keep popping in would ya.... :thumb:

Thanks Ed.

K Shep

« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:18 am »
Ditto on welcome back Kshep :D
Thanks David.

K Shep

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:20 am »
I'm the SF area guy that Jim referred to. I'm in the east bay hills.
System has VAC pre and 160 mono amps, various CD/SACD players including APL NWO-M. Email at herb@email4us.net or call 510/339-3974.

Herb

Are the speakers you have the pair Jim left behind from CA Audio Show 1 ?

stew

« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:33 am »
Hi Bob

Congrats my friend! Can't wait to hear them in Jan. I see my bro Kshep has already signed me and him up. Excellent, as he is driving :) Gotta think now what toy to bring... Maybe my new power conditioners? Still gotta bring those to Ksheps to try out too.

Stew

herb999

« Reply #25 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:04 pm »
Are the speakers you have the pair Jim left behind from CA Audio Show 1 ?
Yes they are, but with crossovers that were updated this year at the time of CAS2.

K Shep

« Reply #26 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:18 pm »
Yes they are, but with crossovers that were updated this year at the time of CAS2.

Good to know the new xovers were installed, I heard those speakers at Tracy's with the 1st interation xovers which were lacking, IMO. I'd love to visit your room, I love VAC's equipment, look and sound!   

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:25 pm »
I wonder what Dennis changed on the crossovers. :scratch:

jsalk

« Reply #28 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:47 pm »
I wonder what Dennis changed on the crossovers. :scratch:

That pair was the first pair produced and were due to be my personal pair.  The crossover was still under development at the time and was since fine-tuned.  No changes have been made to the basic crossover since we began shipping.

- Jim

herb999

« Reply #29 on: 13 Dec 2011, 09:53 pm »
Good to know the new xovers were installed, I heard those speakers at Tracy's with the 1st interation xovers which were lacking, IMO. I'd love to visit your room, I love VAC's equipment, look and sound!
Just contact me using info from earlier post so we can arrange something. I enjoy meeting fellow addicts and always seem to learn good things in the process.
We may have met at one of Tracy's sessions that my wife Jane and I attended. As a result of what we heard there, we arranged to bring the SS10s here for an in-home trial. They haven't left since.
And you are correct; the redesigned crossovers are superior because Jim and his team know their stuff and only settle for the best they can do.

taoggniklat

« Reply #30 on: 13 Dec 2011, 11:37 pm »
I'm in San Jose and I will plan another GTG sometime in January.  PM me if you can't wait...

If you make it the week before Christmas maybe I can come too  :p

K Shep

« Reply #31 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:45 am »
we arranged to bring the SS10s here for an in-home trial. They haven't left since.

Jim is a great guy and quite generous, as you know.  I will grab my pal Stew, who you may have met and schedule a visit. 

I heard the SS10s at RMAF 2010 and they impressed.  Team Salk had them dialed in at that point, with the revised xovers.

vintagebob

« Reply #32 on: 14 Dec 2011, 07:27 am »
If you make it the week before Christmas maybe I can come too  :p

Doh!  I'm booked that week.  It would have been fun to see you again.

(W)KRP

« Reply #33 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:46 am »
I hope to join you soon. It's good to hear Nikki is all in. You are doing your part to help the economy.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2011, 08:32 pm »
Bob

now that you have had some time to listen to the Sound Scapes... 

what are your impressions?

vintagebob

« Reply #35 on: 27 Dec 2011, 11:35 pm »
Bob

now that you have had some time to listen to the Sound Scapes... 

what are your impressions?

Sorry audiotom, I've been busy with the holidays!

The speakers still sound great.  I had one friend over who plays guitar in a jazz band and he was VERY impressed with the improvements over the HT2-TLs.  He noticed the same things others have noted with the added detail, clarity, imaging and improved soundstage and overall "realism" of the instruments. 

I have found that diffusion behind the speakers works wonders.  I'm currently using some GIK D1s but will order some of the new GIK versions soon.  The diffusion adds to the width of the soundstage and in my case the clarity of the vocals.

I'm still playing with speaker location, trying to find the best soundstage presentation.  I had to place the HT2-TLs for proper bass and so never tried to tweak the soundstage presentation on them.  I just got some sliders to put under the SoundScapes.  They are heavy and not easy to move around.

I'll add some more when I get the system tweaked some more. 

My jaw still drops everytime I start the system up now!

Happy New Year!