Name this speaker

jsalk

Name this speaker
« on: 16 Sep 2021, 07:11 pm »
About four years ago at an audio show, I was approached by a couple of young engineers who showed me a prototype of a new AMT tweeter.  The concept was a tweeter that was on-axis over 160 degrees.  So we waited and waited to see if they could actually get them into production.  This past year, they finally started manufacturing and we received #'s 24 and 25 off the assembly line.

By that time, Purifi came out with a new series of mid-woofers that were extremely low in terms of distortion.  The drivers were an immediate hit in the DIY market. 

We thought they would be a great combination with this new AMT tweeter.  Unfortunately, the frequency response of the tweeter made it impossible to cross at around 1000Hz which was another of its intended benefits.  The result was that if we crossed at 2kHz, we could use a normal passive crossover.  But considering the cost of the drivers (about $3000 per pair), we already had a great candidate (Satori Be tweeter) that would work equally well.

So we produced a one-off pair using a plate amp with an active crossover.  The fact that our customers have never warmed to active speakers, we did not feel it would be worth marketing.  So those speakers are now sitting in a friends house and he is enjoying them, so much so, that we decided to do a version of it with the Be tweeter and passive crossover.  Here is the result...

Now we just need a name for them.  If you have any ideas, we'd love to hear them.  If your proposed name is adopted, you will not win anything other than the pride of saying it was your idea.

So fire away!

- Jim

« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2021, 03:42 pm by jsalk »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Name this speaker
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2021, 07:51 pm »
Purity

Samac

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2021, 07:51 pm »
Those look sharp. As for a name, how about Tenacious Be.

Cheers,

Scott

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2021, 07:52 pm »
For laughs, I suggest Betweet. Or to riff off of Scott's suggestion, 10B.

mhconley

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2021, 08:10 pm »
PS Be

Martin

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2021, 08:19 pm »
In a tongue-in-cheek homage to Cardi B*, I suggest Puri Be.

* I know she's a popular artist, and I know nothing of them, but the name is short and sweet.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2021, 09:44 pm »
I have always thought that womans name for loudspeakers is very attractive.

johzel

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2021, 11:27 pm »
I'm thinking "Anthem" or "Rhapsody" . . . could see this being the first of a series - adding a monitor etc. So the Anthem Series or Rhapsody Series . . . . . this speaker would be the Anthem Tower or the Rhapsody Tower.   :thumb:

Or how about "Sonnets".  Shakespeare had his Sonnets . . . now Salk Sound does too!!
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2021, 04:37 am by johzel »

Gyosa

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2021, 12:53 am »
Purillium

Bk

mh720wake

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2021, 01:21 am »
Be Axis

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2021, 01:21 am »
Too easy:

Be Mary

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2021, 02:05 am »
Be fi (Be for the tweeter and fi from Purifi which is fidelity)

decal

« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2021, 02:13 am »
Clarity or Clarity Be

SlushPuppy

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2021, 02:21 am »
Stratos

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2021, 03:32 am »
Berylliant

jd3

« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2021, 12:20 pm »
So these are my speakers!  I'm picking them up in about 10 days so I hope they have a name by then!

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2021, 01:06 pm »
So these are my speakers!  I'm picking them up in about 10 days so I hope they have a name by then!

And no-one is surprised that JD3 is getting new speakers! 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2021, 01:34 pm »
And no-one is surprised that JD3 is getting new speakers!

No. He's addicted and needs intervention. :lol:

JDoyle

« Reply #18 on: 17 Sep 2021, 02:28 pm »
…and there you have it: The New Salk JD3

jd3

« Reply #19 on: 17 Sep 2021, 02:31 pm »
No. He's addicted and needs intervention. :lol:

I probably do Pete!  This is my last pair, really; I promise!  :icon_lol:  When I picked up the last pair (BeAT's) in December I asked Jim if he'd thought about building a bookshelf/monitor with a Be tweeter and a Purifi mid woofer.  I told him if he decided to do that I'd be interested.  About a month or so later he got hold of me and told me he was building a floor stander similar to the active speaker he'd built with the AMT and wondered if I'd be interested in that.  I thought about it a bit and decided to go ahead provided I could sell the BeAT's.  He graciously sold them for me and here we are!