AXPONA 2018 Show Coverage Thread

bernardo

Re: AXPONA 2018 Show Coverage Thread
« Reply #40 on: 21 May 2018, 07:45 pm »
Vinnie-
Looking at the photos of the new preamp and amp rear panels I see IEC sockets for power cords. Do I assume correctly that no external power supply will be used for these components? If that is the case will you continue to use an external power for the LIO or will that change in the future?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #41 on: 21 May 2018, 07:49 pm »
Vinnie-
Looking at the photos of the new preamp and amp rear panels I see IEC sockets for power cords. Do I assume correctly that no external power supply will be used for these components?

Hi bernardo,

Yes, you are correct.

If that is the case will you continue to use an external power for the LIO or will that change in the future?

I will continue to use an external power supply for LIO.  This *may* change at some point, but is not currently in the works.

Vinnie

tme110

« Reply #42 on: 22 May 2018, 02:38 am »
No headphone amp?

X1 outs?

Pretty slick looking and can't wait to hear more about it but I have to admit I like the one box solution.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #43 on: 22 May 2018, 03:15 pm »
No headphone amp?

X1 outs?

Pretty slick looking and can't wait to hear more about it but I have to admit I like the one box solution.

Hi tme110,

There are no headphone output or Spatial X1 options.

The L2 Signature Preamp will only have the following two add-on module options:

1) L2 DAC
2) L2 Phonostage

Vinnie

sbj23

« Reply #44 on: 22 May 2018, 09:09 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Exciting always to hear about your new products. 

How much “better” do you feel the upcoming L2 preamp with monoblocks are compared to the LIO DHT?

Thanks!

Theobetley

« Reply #45 on: 23 May 2018, 12:39 pm »
I am not Vinnie but as an owner of a LIO I can tell you Vinnie has moved the transparency needle with the new products. I heard the new stuff at Axpona and all I can say is that everybody in the room had nothing but the highest praise of the new stuff. The dynamics were best I heard that day. Soundstage was walk into and sit down to listen to the orchestra. Clarity on a par with anything I heard at Axpona. If you are thinking of going this way you will not be disappointed.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #46 on: 23 May 2018, 05:28 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Exciting always to hear about your new products. 

How much “better” do you feel the upcoming L2 preamp with monoblocks are compared to the LIO DHT?
Thanks!

Hi sbj23,

Thank you! 

The upcoming L2 Signature Preamplifier + Monoblocks are substantially better than LIO DHT Integrated.  These are not
small refinements - these are both entirely new designs from the ground up (except for the L2 DAC module, which will be based on the LIO DAC 2.0 module).  Once I post all the details, I'll have more to say about them...

I am not Vinnie but as an owner of a LIO I can tell you Vinnie has moved the transparency needle with the new products. I heard the new stuff at Axpona and all I can say is that everybody in the room had nothing but the highest praise of the new stuff. The dynamics were best I heard that day. Soundstage was walk into and sit down to listen to the orchestra. Clarity on a par with anything I heard at Axpona. If you are thinking of going this way you will not be disappointed.

Theobetley's feedback above (thank you, Ted!) is based on listening to a pre-production pair of  L2 Signature Monoblocks (fed from a LIO DHT Preamp) at Axpona 2018 last April.  He and his friend have both been to my room at numerous shows, and immediately heard (as did many other show attendees who are very familiar with LIO) what the L2 Monoblocks deliver... and that was without the L2 Preamplifier! :o

The L2 Preamplifier takes performance a lot higher (Its new DHT circuit is proving to be not only be incredibly quiet with all the compatible DHT's, but it is showing the subtle, and not so subtle, differences between them even more). 

I appreciate all your interest, and especially patience, as I finalize L2.  This has taken far more time than anything else I have designed, and I want to get it all as perfect as possible before going into production.  I hope many of you will be able to experience the L2 System at RMAF in October (in two different rooms this year!).  RMAF 2018 will be my "official" L2 release show.  8)

Back to work for me! :whip:

Vinnie

gene9p

« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2018, 01:28 pm »

Hi lengcm,

I am looking into offering a LIO trade-in program for those who buy a L2 Signature Preamplifier + Monoblock combo.  I hope to have all the details figured out in a few weeks...

Thank you,

Vinnie

HOPE YOU OFFER SOME OF THE TRADED IN LIO'S FOR SALE....!!!!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2018, 03:10 pm »
HOPE YOU OFFER SOME OF THE TRADED IN LIO'S FOR SALE....!!!!

Hi gene9p,

Yes, that is the idea.  :idea:  8)

Vinnie

gene9p

« Reply #49 on: 26 May 2018, 09:14 pm »
 :D

Vinnie R.

« Reply #50 on: 30 May 2018, 04:02 pm »
UPDATES, May 30th

L2 Signature Monoblocks:

- All parts (except for the enclosures) are in stock and we have started production of sub-assemblies.
- Enclosures are expected to arrive at the end of next week.
- Some of the custom hard cases (pictures coming soon) have arrived and more on the way in a few weeks.
- VR website will have the L2 Monoblock page up and ready for processing orders by end of next week.
- Lead-time will be within approx. 3 weeks from when we receive your order (so they'll be shipping by end of June).
- I'm working on taking measurements and will add them to the Specifications section of the website.

- Once the L2 Monoblocks are on our website, I'll start a new thread for them here in the VR forum with all the latest
details.

Please keep in mind that although I'll have the L2 Monoblocks on our website by end of next week, the page (and the entire VR website, for that matter) will be cleaned up more over the summer, and with new images.

L2 Signature Preamplifier:

- L2 Preamplifier enclosures, parts, hard cases, etc. will not be here until end of July.  As we get much closer to this time, I'll have the L2 Preamp webpage / ordering info added, and we should be shipping within approx. 3 weeks from when we receive your order.
- L2 DAC should be ready end of July.
- L2 Phonostage should be ready end of July.

- Once the L2 Preamplifier is on our website, I'll start a new thread for it here in the VR forum as well.

LIO Trade-In's

I'm figuring out the details and hope to have more info next week.  Please email me if you have trade-in questions.

- Be on the lookout for an email newsletter by end of next week regarding L2!  If you haven't signed up already, here
is the link to do so:  https://www.vinnierossi.com/newsletter-registration/

Thank you,

Vinnie

mirekti

« Reply #51 on: 2 Jun 2018, 06:28 pm »
Now when I read there would be a LIO trade in program I think I might be in trouble.
Is the price list for preamp, its modules and monos set?

Also, what is trg button on peamp for?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jun 2018, 08:34 pm »
Now when I read there would be a LIO trade in program I think I might be in trouble.
Is the price list for preamp, its modules and monos set?

Also, what is trg button on peamp for?

Hi mirekti,

I'm actually working on the webpages for both L2 products this weekend.

The TRIG button on the L2 Preamp turns ON/OFF the dual 12V Trigger Output jacks on the rear panel (which can be used
to remotely turn on/off the L2 Monoblocks or any other product with a 12V Trigger Input).

So if one is using the L2 Preamp + Monoblocks, they can turn ON/OFF all together with the press of the PWR button on the remote
handset (or the PWR button on the L2 Preamp front panel).

The L2 Signature Preamplifer will cost $14,995.  L2 DAC will add $3,495.  L2 Phonostage will add $3,495.
The L2 Signature Monoblocks will cost $14,995/pair.

More information on all of the above will be coming soon, along with information on trade-ins (yes, there will be a LIO trade-in policy!).

L2 discussion threads here on the VR forum are also coming soon.   8)

Vinnie

Bones13

« Reply #53 on: 3 Jun 2018, 03:58 pm »
Price is not outrageous. I figure the L2 phono and DAC will cost about the same in the LIO, and my figuring, the L2 is about 5K more than the LIO with DHT + headphone amp. Guess I better sell some gear, because I think I would go the L2 route, even if I have to space out getting the modules.

Dang you Vinnie, I was figuring you would price your new stuff far enough out of my price range that I would not even pay attention.

Congrats on getting this stuff going. I get the feeling you are quite excited about your new products. I will continue to look forward. I have been researching awhile. There are a few DACs with pre-amp function, but one or the other is usually compromised. There are very few good pre-amps with the highest quality phono sections anymore. The industry seems to want you to stay with multiple boxes, just what I am trying to get out of.

Will there be any silver in the L2 series? Or Black only? I like the look of the silver front, with black top and knobs of the LIO.

mirekti

« Reply #54 on: 3 Jun 2018, 07:50 pm »
Well, I have heard the monos and DHT combo at Axpona, and it was really, really great. I could only imagine sound in my room if I upgraded from AVC/Tubestage to L2 combo, but the price is way out of my ballpark. We are talking about Lexus ES price range, and if I trade in, a Toyota Camry.
One thing is sure. I like my LIO, and I bet those who can afford L2 combo will be thrilled.

sbj23

« Reply #55 on: 9 Jun 2018, 03:27 am »
Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for the reply!  Great to hear that the L2s will be a substantial improvement. 

Looking at the design, I’m assuming the preamp and monoblocks can’t be stacked on top of each other.  What do you expect heat generation to be like?  Could they be stored inside a cabinet, as the LIO can?

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #56 on: 9 Jun 2018, 03:55 pm »

Looking at the design, I’m assuming the preamp and monoblocks can’t be stacked on top of each other.  What do you expect heat generation to be like?  Could they be stored inside a cabinet, as the LIO can?

Hi sbj23,

The L2 Preamp and Monoblocks cannot be stacked on top of each other.  You can stack just the Monoblocks
if you are trying to save some space.

You can store them all inside a cabinet -if- there is some space around the units, and the cabinet is not fully enclosed (you don't want to trap heat inside).  Otherwise, I do not recommend doing so.

L2 Preamp's power consumption and heat generation should be somewhere "in the ballpark" of LIO DHT PRE, but much better spread out over a far thicker aluminum enclosure design and much improved ventilation to keep internal temps lower.

L2 Mono's will only get warm if you are playing at sustained loud volumes into lower impedance speakers.  Otherwise, their thick
aluminum enclosure does a good job at spreading the heat so you probably won't even feel them get that warm at all. 

I'll be adding power dissipation specs to both L2 webpages soon enough.

---

Also, I started the L2 Signature Monoblocks discussion thread, here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158150.0

L2 Signature Preamplifier discussion thread also coming sometime this month.

Thanks,

Vinnie