Any disc golfers around here?

BillB

Any disc golfers around here?
« on: 25 Apr 2009, 07:56 pm »
My wife and I played quite a bit when we lived in Newport News VA but there was nothing up in Ballston Spa NY so we stopped. Well, there are quite a few in Atlanta and we have started playing again.

All these years we just used our drivers (Gazelle for me and Stingray for her) but we recently picked up a bag and some putters (Birdie and Aviar) and some real distance drivers (Tee-rex and Archangel) and absolutely love the putters...don't know how we lived without em!!

Either way, we just played Redan park here and loved it...gonna do East Roswell tomorrow. We also have a new county park opening soon with a dedicated 26 acre course!!

We suck but have a ton of fun and this seems like a sport that audio people would like.

kgturner

Re: Any disc golfers around here?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2009, 09:28 pm »
oddly enough, we just got back in from playing a round of disc golf. we're not very good either, but i did make a few holes at par, the rest were 2+ over. :lol: what discs do you use? i'm not much for mixing things up so i end up playing the entire course with an innova cobra multi-purpose disc. my wife uses a spider and the kids use whatever cheapies we picked up at wal-mart last year when we first started playing.

kevin t

BillB

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2009, 10:06 pm »
I use tee-rex, gazelle, birdie
Wife uses archangel, stingray, aviar

I would highly recommend the putters (birdie and aviar). We went years without them and then I read that you can still throw up to 50 feet or so with them but they are sloooooow and straight.

I was hitting the pole at 30+ feet today and that NEVER happens!

kgturner

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2009, 10:28 pm »
I was hitting the pole at 30+ feet today and that NEVER happens!

that's what she said!  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2009, 09:09 am »
I've never heard of "disc golf"... :scratch:

So I had to look it up...... :thumb:

" Play Disc Golf - It's in the Air!!! "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0045KxpV8eE   ....in action.

BillB

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:11 pm »
It's good fun and cheap...discs are like $8 and you can get by on just having one but will want more when you get better!

We played at East Roswell yesterday and were about to tee off while some guys were teeing off on an adjacent hole...they both threw side arm and easily threw 400'+ through the woods...wife and I tried it and easily made it farther than we ever had.

Today at lunch we decided to drive to the park up the street from work and get on a baseball field and see how far we could throw...I threw her driver over the fence and almost onto the road from home plate...probably 400+ feet...wow! (I don't think I have ever thrown over 150').

I need to get a disc like hers...

BTW if you want to look for local courses:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:43 pm »
I have been playing for years.

I have played at coarse's all over Texas and Oklahoma, plus Chicago, Indianapolis, Portland area (several coarse's), Arvada Co. (two different coarse's), Seattle (several coarse's), and some I don't even remember by now. Anytime I travel and have time to play, I look for a coarse.

I'd say I am an advance novice to expert level player. I even have a portable Mach 2 type pole hole in my back yard for practicing putting.

It's great fun, and highly recommended.

BillB

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:47 pm »
I was thinking about putting one in the woods in my back yard...it would give you about a dozen different approaches to practice.

:green:

kgturner

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2009, 12:47 am »
picked up a birdie putter disc and a cheetah fairway driver this weekend. hopefully i can find some time in the next few weeks to "hit the green".

kevin t