Where have you guys been hiding?

hartwerger

« on: 7 Dec 2005, 09:41 pm »
I just bought a used Ultra 4A.  It does have some slight modifications to the original 4a, such as Jensen caps, but I imagine it still sounds pretty close to original.  I had a slight impedance mismatch with my previous preamp, a Bottlehead Foreplay, and a new amp I got several months ago and was in the market for a new pre (a little upgrade fever too, perhaps).  I came across a use Ultra and never heard of Mapletree.  I read Scott Faller's review in TNT and thought that it sounded like something I might like.  After listening for several weeks, I have concluded that I don't like this preamp.  I love it!  This little baby makes music.  I suppose there are many who would complain that the 12sn7 tubes (actually, I'm using some RCA 12sx7s) are too colored or warm, but I find that this is the sound I have been looking for for quite sometime.  This preamp is just so involving.  When I listen to my system I am no longer listening to the gear; I'm listening to the music.  Truly magical.  When I got the Ultra I thought I probably would just use it for the phono stage.  Wrong.  The line stage is equally wonderful.  However, I have been struggling with a power cord problem.  Without getting into details, I no longer have a useable stock power cord.  I have tried a few audiophile cords, such as Harmonic Tech Pro AC-11 and a VH Audio Flavor 2, but preferred the stock cord over both of these.   The higher end cords do make the sonics a little more transparent and neutral, but I seem to lose the midrange sweetness that I enjoyed with the stock cord.  The HT Pro AC-11 does provide a nice midrange but doesn't have the punch the stock cord provided and the bass is bloated.  Has anyone tried other power cords with the Ultra and have any recommendations?  Also, anyone have any opinions on  a comparison between the Octal 6 and the Ultra.  I like the Ultra so much I now want to hear the Octal (I'm not trading in my Ultra as I use the phono stage).  Lastly (as I seem to be rambling here), you guys shouldn't be hiding; you should be out there holding up banners as to what a great product y'all got here.  Many thanks to Dr. Lloyd for designing this great little affordable piece that has brought much musical pleasure to my ears.

srb

« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2005, 11:42 pm »
Run-on paragraphs

are just too tedious to read.

hartwerger

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2005, 12:28 am »
Don't tell my wife.  She's an english teacher.

ryno

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2005, 02:52 am »
Thanks for the review, I'm in the market for a budget pre and am looking at the 2a. I've never had any tube gear before and am looking to try something that represents the "tube" sound. Your review makes me think a MAD would be a good choice.
Thanks, Ryan
oops, a run-on paragraph