A Must Have: Audiophile Fuses

SHV

A Must Have: Audiophile Fuses
« on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:23 am »
"The new line of Supreme fuses is handmade, tip-to-tip of 99% Silver combined with 1% 24k Gold, similar to the material used in the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold Capacitors. Mundorf also developed for HiFi-Tuning, a special Silver/Gold solder for use in the Supreme fuses. HiFi-Tuning's 99% Silver + 1% Gold melt wire, used exclusively in the Supreme fuses, is resonance-optimized to control vibration. "

http://www.revolutionpower.com/p/HiFi-Tuning+Fuses+-+Large+Supreme+SLOW+Blow+T/352/

Control of vibration is critical for fuses; well worth $79.99 USD per fuse.

Steve

Pez

Re: A Must Have: Audiophile Fuses
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:28 am »
Used all sorts of hi end fuses. Hifi tunings (though not these exact ones), furutech, Acme. The best of them all by far are the AMR fuses. They just sound so clean and laid back. Warm even. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2012, 04:59 am »
Pez,

Did you buy them in the US? Where are they sold?

And what did you find the strengths and weaknesses of the other brands to be?

Any component you found to benefit more than others? Start with amp, preamp source?

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:07 am »
By far the BEST fuse I have tried is a Audio Magic Nano-Liquid fuse !

These new fuses will send "SHOCK WAVES" through this whole market !   8)

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:47 am »
Roscoeiii,
I have tried them exclusively in my SET amps. The main disadvantage I found with the acme and hifi tuning ones were they really didn't do anything positive in the mids. Most benefit was heard on high frequency. I thought it odd that they were marginally better than RadioShack slow blows in mids. Also the biggest beef I have with the Acme fuses is that they actually blew for no reason sometimes when I'd turn on my amps. I can understand if I had te wrong value or if it blew for legitimate reasons, but these suckers blew for no apparent reason. YMMV.

The Furutech fuses are the best of the bunch if you don't use te AMRs. The only flaw I found with the furutechs was that highs were a touch 'supernatural' sounding. Sort of artificially detailed. The AMRs are detailed, but they don't try to draw attention to themselves of that makes sense.

As far as where to buy I wish I could help you. I bought mine directly from the AMR reps at RMAF in October. I figured they were readily available. :dunno:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2012, 07:35 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85846.60

I have replaced most of my fuses with Furutech ones. It is not a day/night difference, but there *IS* a difference. I think it is enough to spend a few $$$ on.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2012, 07:36 am »
Pez,

Did you buy them in the US? Where are they sold?

And what did you find the strengths and weaknesses of the other brands to be?

Any component you found to benefit more than others? Start with amp, preamp source?
usa distributor:
http://www.avataracoustics.com/home.html#

on line:
http://www.angelsoundaudio.co.uk/ASShop/page134/page22/

(amr speakers look awesome, btw...)

doug s.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2012, 02:25 pm »
I bought high end fuses for my speaker fuses only. Since my Magnepan fuses are actually directly in the signal path, I decided to go for them.
For all others I just get by with the standard 'plain jane' common fuses.
Mainly the difficulty of really getting the exact same type and rating for the particular application.
A lot of the "audiophile' fuses are kind of sketchy about the exact meeting of standards.
Mostly in the fast blow/slow blow area. The amp rating is not in question.. much.
While i will spend a few hundred for a power cord.. I baulk at the cost of one inch of 'audiophile' fuse.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2012, 03:44 pm »
Hi,

The AMR fuse website is http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/goldfuse_specifications.html
I am ordering them from this dealer. He is a great guy.

Jeff  Whitlock

A/V Solutions

www.avsolutionsca.com

925-425-0450 (Voice)

925-846-6295  (Fax)
[/]

gooberdude

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2012, 04:10 pm »
The AMR seem to be the least expensive fuses around.  Not 10 cents each obviously, but 3 fuses for $40 is a good deal.  3x cheaper than the Furutech.

I've used both HiFi Tuning & isolclean fuses, and agree that most improvement is in the treble range. 

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2012, 04:40 pm »
They are a GREAT deal. I think though that they might look really great compared to the way overpriced furutechs and hifi tunings. $80 is a lot for something like this.

SoundGame

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:24 pm »
Has anyone obtained benefits from using after-market fuses with Bryston amplfiers / products?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2012, 07:30 pm »
Well it's good to know that the Revolution Power fuses are:

Finally, the Supreme fuses are treated with a proprietary quantum level process.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2012, 07:34 pm »
Quantum Process or Magic Nano-Liquid?  Or maybe just plain-ass cryo-treated?  Decisions, decisions.

Steve

BrysTony

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2012, 08:23 pm »
Bryston and the other high-end audio equipment manufacturers are in a highly competitive industry -- each is doing everything it can to provide the best sounding equipment.  If an "audiophile" fuse made a difference why wouldn't it come installed as a part of the original equipment?  :scratch: The same can be said about power cords. 

SHV

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2012, 08:57 pm »
Bryston and the other high-end audio equipment manufacturers are in a highly competitive industry -- each is doing everything it can to provide the best sounding equipment.  If an "audiophile" fuse made a difference why wouldn't it come installed as a part of the original equipment?  :scratch: The same can be said about power cords.

For those of us with SS gear who can't enjoy the pleasure and expense of "tube rolling"; I though that "fuse rolling" might provide a similar but cheaper form of audiophile pleasure. :>)

Steve

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:10 pm »
Has anyone obtained benefits from using after-market fuses with Bryston amplfiers / products?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102819.msg1043151#msg1043151

SoundGame

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:29 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102819.msg1043151#msg1043151

Sorry A - this is a circular link - if it means SHV has realized improvements then with what specific models of Bryston equipment and what exactly were the perceived changes / improvements?  Tks.

niels

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:31 pm »
The fuses on the Bryston are not in the signal path but some people report changes anyway.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85846.0

srb

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2012, 09:36 pm »
The fuses on the Bryston are not in the signal path.

Doesn't matter.  Those who have convinced themselves that exotic fuses make an audible difference also enjoy them when used in the power supply.  I suspect that a percentage of those people would also find an audible difference when used in a dummy fuse holder.

Steve