Is FAT32 better than NTFS for the BDP-1?

JfTM

Is FAT32 better than NTFS for the BDP-1?
« on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:26 pm »
My shiny new red WD 1TB Passport SE just arrived.

Which triggered the question (probably for James and/or Chris).  Now that the BDP-1 will handle both NTFS and FAT32 is one better?  Does the BDP-1 "like" one better?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Is FAT32 better than NTFS for the BDP-1?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:29 pm »

Which triggered the question (probably for James and/or Chris).  Now that the BDP-1 will handle both NTFS and FAT32 is one better?  Does the BDP-1 "like" one better?

Fat32 :thumb:

james

JfTM

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:35 pm »
Fat32 :thumb:

james

Thanks James,

Is there a reason?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:42 pm »
Thanks James,

Is there a reason?

Yes - because I said so :lol:

james

JfTM

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2011, 05:45 pm »
Yes - because I said so :lol:

james

Well of course, I should have known that  :duh:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2012, 11:47 pm »
hi, all!

someone told me that FAT32 is now called XFAT... :scratch:

true?

al.
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2012, 10:52 am by alexone »

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2012, 11:45 am »
hi, all!

someone told me that FAT32 is now called XFAT... :scratch:

true?

al.

No. Extended FAT (exFAT) was introduced in Vista SP1 and removes the 32-GB volume and 4-GB file size limitation of FAT32. Disadvantage of exFAT is limited backward compatibility. Choosing exFAT as your format option probably should be avoided. I use NTFS format over FAT32 largely for home network security and reduced vulnerability to disk errors.
Cheers,
Ned

alexone

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:03 pm »
thanks, Ned! :thumb:

so FAT32 or exFAT should be used with sub sticks etc as they have no moving parts? and NTSF is better for large hdd (because of their moving parts?!?!).

al.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:39 pm »
thanks, Ned! :thumb:

so FAT32 or exFAT should be used with sub sticks etc as they have no moving parts? and NTSF is better for large hdd (because of their moving parts?!?!).

al.

No. When it comes to formatting for the BDP FAT 32 is the best option on everything.

ExFAT is not the same as FAT 32.
NTFS comes with lots of security issues.

so: FAT 32.

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:50 pm »
No. When it comes to formatting for the BDP FAT 32 is the best option on everything.

ExFAT is not the same as FAT 32.
NTFS comes with lots of security issues.

so: FAT 32.

Agree, exFAT is not the same as FAT and most consumer electronics can only handle FAT formatted USB drives. Support for exFAT outside Wndows and Mac OS X environments is minimal due to non-free license from Microsoft required to make and distribute exFAT implementations.

For a USB flash drive FAT32 is the preferred choice. Since NTFS is a journaling file system, reading and writing files on NTFS disks involves more disk input/output than similar operations on FAT32 disks (which I suspect is the reason James recommends FAT formatting). Flash drives have a finite number of reads/writes before requiring replacement and will have longer life under FAT32 than under NTFS.

I use a hard drive connection to the BDP-1. It is formatted as a NTFS volume due to reliability. Since NTFS is a journaling file system, NTFS volumes can recover from disk errors more readily than a FAT32 volume. NTFS volumes can dynamically remap clusters that contain bad sectors and mark those clusters as bad so that they are no longer used. I realize that NTFS disks involve more disk input/output, but I have not heard this as a problem with the BDP (perhaps I am wrong as I have not done a direct comparison with a similar FAT32 formatted hard drive). I use a extreme speed 2 TB hard drive (Barracuda XT 7200 RPM with 64 MB cache) and this might mitigate read/write overhead. With 2171 albums and 27,440 tracks using 914 GB of drive space, I just chose NTFS as safety against disk errors (yes I have 3 backups - hate to have to reload all that music).

Has anyone done a direct comparison of a large library (pushing 1 TB) on FAT32 and NTFS formatted identical hard disks? I am not certain I want to undertake the test.
Cheers,
Ned

fado

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2012, 03:13 pm »
I have a temperamental OCZ 240GB SATA III Vertex 3 Max IOPS SSD.  What are the pros & cons of SSD format choices - NTFS vs FAT32 - for the SSD itself and for its use as the dedicated BDP-1 music file external storage?

alexone

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2012, 08:11 pm »
i have two 3tb hdd (3,5" CN Memory, both NTSF). the one hdd is almost full with music files and i am thinking about formatting the other one to FAT32. so what am i supposed to do :o?

al.

RLL1

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2012, 12:37 am »

I just picked up a couple of these drives myself, 1 black and 1 silver. What are people using to reformat these to FAT32? I know it was mentioned on an earlier post, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Rick

gil99

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2012, 04:23 am »
I just picked up a couple of these drives myself, 1 black and 1 silver. What are people using to reformat these to FAT32? I know it was mentioned on an earlier post, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Rick
I use guiformat.exe, just google it and you will found it (it's free).  It's just a file and is very easy to use.  I have tried the other one that was mention on previous post but can't get it to work on my computer.

RLL1

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2012, 05:20 am »
I use guiformat.exe, just google it and you will found it (it's free).  It's just a file and is very easy to use.  I have tried the other one that was mention on previous post but can't get it to work on my computer.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Rick

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"

Heckler75

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2012, 10:04 pm »

ronman

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2012, 02:19 pm »
I have two 2TB 3.5" hard drives attached to the BPD-1. One hard drive is formattted in FAT32, the other in NTFS - haven't heard any difference between them, and they are both almost full. Only time FAT32 is a problem is with video files on my media player, mkv files bigger than 4GB wont show or play, so I keep those hard drives NTFS. Flash drives (thumb drives) I alternate the format depending in the single of the large single file that needs to be copied onto it. A simple click on the right hand mouse button then select format (I use windows 7) is quick and reliable enough for my uses.