The Official D.M.V. (D.C./Southern Maryland/Northern Virginia) meet thread...

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
This is the official thread for meets/get togethers in the DC/Southern Maryland/Northern Virginia region (D.M.V.).

mix4fix

• Volunteer
We should meet up once a quarter; have it so people can plan it in advance.

pansixt

You mentioned this in the lobby at CAF, and I liked the idea. That was you was it not?

Perhaps as the Glow from the Show wears down, others will be hip to the idea as well.

I'm game anytime , anywhere.

James

Phil A

Probably would be good once the summer ends.  People won't have as much yard work or vacations.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Has anyone considered a D-M-V get together?   :scratch:

Buyakasoundman

Anyone outside DC? NOVA burbs? 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
I'm in Arlington.  New to Audiocircle.  Traffic for MAAC seems pretty thin since 2011.  Too bad.  Always open to visits or visiting to hear gear / or host to listen to gear.  Have good main level & basement spaces for audio / video auditions.  Mix of tube & SS gear, digital & vinyl.    From time to time also borrow stuff for audition from local high end audio dealer Command Performance. Would be happy to host something is there's any left out there.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
I know august is a slow time in the greater DC area, but can hear the crickets sounding in this thread..........

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Hmmm.  Did not see your first posting, I am in the area and would love to have a listen.

I could even bring a Music Server and USB DAC for trials is anyone is interested.

Phil A

Hmmm.  Did not see your first posting, I am in the area and would love to have a listen.

I could even bring a Music Server and USB DAC for trials is anyone is interested.

I'm up for that.  At some point early next year, I have to take everything apart so before then is good.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Sounds good to me.  Always interested in trying out new stuff & meeting new folks & talking gear / music.  Actually trying to figure out what best to do for a music server, so seeing / hearing what you've got would be useful. 

Have used apple tv and airport express as interface from a mac/itunes to a stand alone dac, and currently using a squeezebox duet to dac.  But considering using a stand alone dedicated mac mini, perhaps with some mods, as the source fed into a dac.

Anyway - if anyone wants to through out ideas of when / where / etc.  As I mentioned, I live in Arlington (west), have two good rooms for meetings / trials (living room + basement home theater), and more importantly, work from home so have flexible hours.  Oh - and no wife / room mates / etc to cause problems.......

mix4fix

• Volunteer
We're gonna plan more get-togethers. At the very least we should have more Saturday dinners. Perhaps grab a movie. We can also have during the week dinners for those who live in Virginia to meet up on shorter notice.

With people's schedules (and those who would come in from out of town), every couple of months or so would be ideal.

We could have movie night somewhere like. We could order family pack meals (Boston Market, etc) and hang out.

Doing shootouts is an idea as well.

More to come...

PS: we have to pick out our official NOVA place to eat (like Dogfish is our official CAF place to eat).

Phil A

PS: we have to pick out our official NOVA place to eat (like Dogfish is our official CAF place to eat).

If we're going to accomodate everyone, I'd think that something to eat in the Tysons area would be better if people are coming from Maryland.  I could also pick up pizza and we can listen and chat around the basement bar (plenty of counterspace -see pic) and have the secondary basement system going before we do serious listening on the main system.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
So pick a date and do it.  It should probably be after Labor Day to avoid last getaways in the summer. 8)

mix4fix

• Volunteer
Planning on late September/early October.

Somebody find us a "Dogfish" in Tysons/McLean/Fairfax.

Reach out to the others so they know what's going on. We can get a good turnout like CAF.

Phil A

At certain points in October (I don't know at this time), I may not be around.  Also the later it gets, it may be a time when I have the main system ripped apart for wall patching/painting.  If someone wants Great Falls, there is the Old Brogue.  Irish pub with character.  There are also a bunch of restaurants in the Tysons Galleria and new section of the Tysons mall.  There's also Clyde's right off 123 in McLean/Tysons.  It's probably not as hard getting in and out of mall parking to go some place not in the mall and something like Clyde's is not too far off where 495 dumps into McLean.  However, if we are to do a Saturday, it's probably better to do an early thing and not get a little jump on the dinner crowd (kind of like the early bird specials someone my age goes for :lol:)

newzooreview

i live in mclean, so i'm in (schedule permitting)
i could bring a dB Audio Tranquility SE DAC if that's of interest

Phil A

i live in mclean, so i'm in (schedule permitting)
i could bring a dB Audio Tranquility SE DAC if that's of interest

I have a Bryston DAC in the main system and an Emotiva DAC in the secondary basement system

newzooreview

I have a Bryston DAC in the main system and an Emotiva DAC in the secondary basement system

I've never heard either of those. My Tranquility is fed by a Mach2 modified, battery powered MacMini. The battery also feeds the hard drive where the AIFF files are. The whole front end is more than the sum of its parts, but it's hard to pack up all that gear.

No need to swap out DACs though. It would be fun to hear a different system in any event.