Pentax anyone?

ThuanDB

Pentax anyone?
« on: 5 Feb 2015, 02:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

Recently I found and purchased a K5 IIs at discount price, along with a 17-50mm Tamron lens.  For under one grand I've got a walk-around system with good bokeh, weather proof, and sharpness that rivals my 6D, D7000, and 5D mk3.  I am wondering anybody here is also a Pentaxian and wants to share experiences with this newbie.

Wind Chaser

Re: Pentax anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2015, 06:55 pm »
I don't have any more Pentax gear, but I do have a Ricoh GR.  :D

Although I have never had any direct hands on experience with the Tamron 17-50, I've seen plenty of images made with that lens and it is every bit as sharp as one would expect any decent prime lens to be. It is the one lens I regret not owning, mainly on account of owning almost everything else at that focal length.

I have owned a few different Pentax DSLRs and even the Q, which was a total delight. In some ways I wish I had kept the Q, but I had too much money tied up into other systems which were being ignored on account of the sheer pleasure I got from using the Q. Despite having 6 other cameras with bigger and better sensors with several thousand dollars tied up in lenses, the Q was my go to camera.

Long story short, the Q is what led me to the GR. I like small cameras. The GR has an APS-C sensor in a very small magnesium alloy body with a wicked sharp lens that fits into a regular size pocket. It isn't quite as much fun as the Q, but I liked it enough to part with all my other DSLRs and mirrorless systems except for my Nikon 1.

One thing I should mention is while your K5 is weather resistant, your Tammy isn't. In other words, you might want to pick up a WR lens if you plan on using your camera when it is likely to get wet.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2015, 10:22 pm »
I'm a Pentax lover from way back (late 60s Spotmatic). I don't quite know what it is, but I think the lenses may have a lot to do with it, as I always liked the image quality and the operating feel of the Pentaxes I've tried.

I own an almost-unused K-01 (soon to be sold) and a very much used Ricoh GR which I've had for about a year.

I think Ricoh must have some camera enthusiasts on board as they saw the value in Pentax by buying them when they were failing, and the GR is definitely an enthusiast's camera; all function, no flash.

I am watching with great interest the newly-announced full frame Pentax. DPReview will report on it from Japan in a week.
http://tinyurl.com/mkgto6y

ThuanDB

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2015, 10:22 pm »
Thanks Wind Chaser for the heads up.  I will definitely get a WR lens, just a matter of time.

Russell, I too am very interested in the new full range Pentax.  Meanwhile, I'll try to let the new Canon full range 50mp bodies pass by.  They are a bit expensive right now.

It's really good to hear from two veteran Pentaxians.  We will hear more exciting news in the nex few months.