Signature 16 impressions

Sense63

Signature 16 impressions
« on: 26 Sep 2013, 02:39 pm »
I wanted to give my impressions regarding my purchase of the RWA Signature 16 integrated after I've put about 120 hours of play time in so far.  In one word, WOW!  I usually don't write reviews of products, but I felt compelled to in this case. 

This "tiny" integrated packs an unusually big punch.  I'm using it with PMC fact.8 speakers that are 89dB efficient and it has absolutely no problem driving them.  In fact, the 16 plays them effortlessly at 10 o'clock with no need to go further in volume.  I was a little concerned about power and was thinking of getting the Signature 57, but that's not even a thought now.  I suppose if you have really inefficient speakers, you may want for more power, but you may be surprised with this little "powerhouse".

What strikes me most about the 16 is how it just plays music.  With almost all previous integrateds I've owned, I felt like I was listening for this cymbal or that guitar string.  With the 16, I find myself getting lost in the music as everything is just right.  The music is clear, not an ounce of graininess, pace and timing are perfect, soundstage is full and utterly believable and bass is tight and right.  Vocals are amazing!  I just picked up Sarah Jarosz's new cd "Build Me Up From Bones" and I feel like she's in the room with me.  Cellos, violins, guitars, bass, etc all sound as they should....natural.   I haven't thought of tube rolling as the stock tube sounds perfect.  I probably will experiment down the road with different tubes, but I'm just enjoying music right now.

I did get the headphone amp option and without reservation, it's one of the top 3 headphone amps I've heard.  It's right there with the Leben CS300X.  My AKG 701's have never sounded this good.

Switching back and forth between charging and pure battery power is extremely easy and straightforward.....fun too.

I also wanted to say something about the packaging.  It's excellent and protects everything well enough for several shipping trips.  Along with the packaging being excellent, so is Vinnie's help over the phone.  He is a true gentleman and was extremely helpful each time I called.  This kind of customer service goes a long way with me and I'm sure it does with others who have questions about his new amps.

Anyway, this is my first RWA purchase and I've never felt this good about buying a piece of audio equipment.  If you're on the fence about trying out the new RWA gear, jump off and do it.  You won't be disappointed.

Scott

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
Re: Signature 16 impressions
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2013, 02:52 pm »
I also wanted to say something about the packaging.  It's excellent and protects everything well enough for several shipping trips.  Along with the packaging being excellent, so is Vinnie's help over the phone.  He is a true gentleman and was extremely helpful each time I called.  This kind of customer service goes a long way with me and I'm sure it does with others who have questions about his new amps.

Anyway, this is my first RWA purchase and I've never felt this good about buying a piece of audio equipment.  If you're on the fence about trying out the new RWA gear, jump off and do it.  You won't be disappointed.

Same experience goes here  :thumb:  Congratulations!
[/quote]

HPDJ

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2013, 05:15 pm »
Kinda took the words out of my mouth Sense63!....though I'll have plenty of words about the Sig 16 in a couple days. Been working hard on an extensive review!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2013, 05:46 pm »
Hi Sense63,

Thank you for posting your Signature 16 impressions! 

I was a little concerned about power and was thinking of getting the Signature 57, but that's not even a thought now.  I suppose if you have really inefficient speakers, you may want for more power, but you may be surprised with this little "powerhouse".

I'm glad you found this to be the case.  The thing about the Signature 16 is that it's sweet sounding and packs a punch!  The circuity is kept simple, the wiring short and clean, the parts quality high.  It's also a high current design (no problem with 4-ohm loads) and I have found this to be important because many speakers do have impedance dips down into the 4-ohm range (some lower!) at at least a few regions in their response, so being able to maintain the correct output voltage in these regions means a flatter response under load. 

The added headphone amp stage is a no-brainer, and we can offer this kind of sound at a lower price because it shares the same tube stage, LiFePO4 battery pack and SMART board as our Cassabria and Bellina HPA models. 

The packaging will last a while (it better because it costs us quite a bit - but worth every dollar) and I recommend that our customers save it because it nearly guarantees that your gear will be shipped without any damage. 

Thanks again for mentioning all of this!

Hi mytubes211 and HPDJ,

Thank you - much appreciated!

All the best,

Vinnie