dac and drivers

harley52

dac and drivers
« on: 19 Mar 2013, 01:35 am »
Why is it that a Windows OS has to have a driver installed and a Mc doesn't. Having asked that why would anyone go thru the agravation of  loading a driver when there are dozens of dac's out there for a couple hundred $ that don't need you to load a driver. Pls. explain to me, I don't under stand. :roll: :roll:

I would love to have a system that is battery powered but it seems there are just too many roadblocks. Preamps without a balance control screws 90% of people over 55 years. I generalized there. But if all your components aren't battery powered then you've wasted your money. It only takes one component to be running on ac to mess everything else around. :scratch:
Thanks

embz

Re: dac and drivers
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2013, 08:26 pm »
If you are referring to DAC's that have a USB 2.0 compliant interface; Windows does not support USB Audio Class 2.0.  Apple OSX after a certain version does support USB Audio Class 2.0.  I'm guessing is has to do with royalties, maybe Microsoft doesn't want to pay them, but that's pure speculation.  DAC's that do not need drivers for Windows have a USB 1.0 interface (which are supported) and are limited to 96khz, so people who want 192khz over the USB interface spend the extra 5 mins it takes to install the driver.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: dac and drivers
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2013, 02:26 pm »
Hi embz,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

You are correct - it all has to do with our Bellina Pro using the USB Class 2.0 interface to allow Async, integer-mode conversion of files up to 24/192.  At the moment, Windows requires a driver for this (no matter what dac you use)... and OSX does not.

Hi harley52,

If you go with a Bellina (non-pro), the USB interface is USB 1.0 and does not require a driver for windows.  It runs 16/44.1k or 16/48k over USB. 

But if all your components aren't battery powered then you've wasted your money. It only takes one component to be running on ac to mess everything else around.

I don't believe this to be true.  Ideally, you run your whole system off-the-grid to get the MAXIMUM benefit, but even if you only have, say a battery phonostage, or a dac, or amp or whatever, the benefits of battery power for that component come through into the overall sound. 

I would love to have a system that is battery powered but it seems there are just too many roadblocks.

What are the roadblocks (Besides the cost of upgrading to all off-the-grid components)?  We try to make it easy as possible for our customers with our battery and charging technology.  Feel free to contact me if I can help.

All the best,

Vinnie