Speakers for the RWA Signature 15: Hoyt-Bedford Type 2 or Tekton Lore-S?

FLG

Hello,

Two months ago I bought a Red Wine Audio Signature 15, which I am enjoying a lot. However, I have noticed that my current speakers, old Scandinas from the 80s, are not that suitable any more in my context.

After further reading of reviews and posts as well as contacting manufacturers, two challengers have come out: the Hoyt-Bedford Type 2 and the Tekton Lore-S. This is the reason why I am now seeking your advice according to the following requirements and details.

The listening room, which is also my living room, is 12 feet deep and 25 feet wide. It has a wood flooring and the setup is a long-wall installation.

I listen to almost all genres of music, including classical, rock, electronic, jazz and world music (e.g. Archive, J.-S. Bach, Cesária Évora, Dire Straits, Mahler, Muse, Pink Floyd, Queen, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Yuksek). However, I do not listen to rap and metal.

As living in a flat, I like low level listening, usually from 8 to 9 o'clock and hardly above 11 o'clock. While listening to music, I am looking for tone, transparency, swiftness with a good soundstage and a good imaging. Single-driver loudspeakers are not known for their big bass. However, I would like to have a fair bit of bass, when it is required for details and soundstage.

With regard to your setup(s) and experience, could you please let me know which of those two can be a perfect match?

I thank you in advance for your advice and recommendation.

Happy New Year,

Greg

genjamon

I found the Lore-S to have pretty surprisingly weighty and punchy bass, especially given the size.  I was expecting less bass than the Lore, which I own, but Lore-S actually had more.  I think Lore goes lower, but has less weight and more emphasizes midrange. 

I owned Omega Hemptone 8" monitors about 5 years ago, and I remember them having punchy bass, but wouldn't go below mid-40 hz with in-room response.  But they were very fun speakers. 

I can't judge the new Hoyt Bedfords, as the last version of Louis's speakers I heard were those Hemptones, and they were even before he ever had any alnico magnets on his Omega drivers - quite a few driver iterations ago is what I'm saying.  But, I do suspect some of the general character to remain.  If that's the case, I suspect the Lore-S would be more suitable for your larger space, better capable of handling more complex music (which the Hemptone's weren't the best at for me), and with weightier bass.  But, if you listen nearfield in that large room, the Hoyt Bedfords might be the right fit, depending on what other characteristics you want.

I would expect the Lore-S to have deeper soundstage and more instrumental separation on more complex music, and a slightly warm sound - at least that's what I heard in my room.  On the Hoyt Bedford, again based on admittedly long ago experience with a different speaker, I would expect a detailed and forward and very coherent and fairly neutral sound, not as "warm" as the Lore-S, but with great coherency and connection to the performers, probably better microdynamic detail and PRAT and probably a really nice midrange.

Just my best guesses...

Good luck!

FLG

Thank you genjamon for this detailed explanation.

As it is not an easy choice to make, I am looking forward to reading feedback from Hoyt-Bedford owners.

FLG

In fact, I am worried that the HB Type 2s will be short of bass. For example, Pink Floyd's bass riffs in One Of These Days and those in Muse's  Knights Of Cydonia, as wall as for soundstage and details in Mozart's Masonic Music and in Bruckner's Symphony no. 8.

According to their specifications, my brain tells me to go for the Tektons however a gut feeling tells me that I should go for the HBs. This is the reason I am seeking more advice and experience from HB Type 2's owners.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
The Tektons have a dome tweeter which I don't tend to like very much.

Personally, I'd be looking at the Omegas with the 6" alnico drivers rather than the HBs since you have a powerful enough amp for them.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
FWIW I have owned Omega Hemptones and H-B Type 1s.
If these were going to be my only speakers I would want subs (or helper woofers) for that small % of my music that wouldn't be completely satisfying without the low bass weight and impact. The marginal difference of the Tekton Lore S would not be enough to change that.

genjamon

I did like a subwoofer with my Hemptones, and I use one with my Lores and also did with the Lore-S.  But I'm of the opinion that there is no replacement for truly fullrange performance.  It needs to be flat to at least 30 Hz, and probably lower, for me to not feel wanting.  Hemptones were punchy and fun down to probably 40 Hz, Lore-S into mid-30's, Lores down to lower 30's, but I still like subwoofer in each case.

FLG

The marginal difference of the Tekton Lore S would not be enough to change that.

opnly bafld, could you please detail your thought? Thank you.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
If I feel both speakers are lacking bass, I would base my decision on which one I like better overall.

FLG

I did like a subwoofer with my Hemptones, and I use one with my Lores and also did with the Lore-S.  But I'm of the opinion that there is no replacement for truly fullrange performance.  It needs to be flat to at least 30 Hz, and probably lower, for me to not feel wanting.  Hemptones were punchy and fun down to probably 40 Hz, Lore-S into mid-30's, Lores down to lower 30's, but I still like subwoofer in each case.

Hi genjamon,

What is your listening room's size?

If I feel both speakers are lacking bass, I would base my decision on which one I like better overall.

Thank you opnly bafld.

As English is not my mother tong, I do not always get the right sense at first.

genjamon

It's about 15 x 22 ft with 8 ft ceiling. Wide opening to dining too at rear right of listening position.

FLG

It's about 15 x 22 ft with 8 ft ceiling. Wide opening to dining too at rear right of listening position.

Was the speakers' placement difficult due to the wide opening to dining room?

genjamon

No. It is to the rear of listening position. Not near speakers.

genjamon

Why don't you just order from Tekton and take advantage of the 30 day return policy if they don't work out.?

FLG

No. It is to the rear of listening position. Not near speakers.

I understand, I have just seen the room in your gallery.

Why don't you just order from Tekton and take advantage of the 30 day return policy if they don't work out.?

Living in the old continent, 30 days are short considering that the delivery takes approximately 7 to 10 days. In addition, it would double the shipping cost if I were not convinced of the speakers' performance. This is why I am seeking feedback and recommendation before I order from Tekton or Hoyt-Bedford.

edn4x4

I have a similar problem.. :?  - have you made a choice?  I would be very interested in your outcome too.
Although I have MMG/12 in the mix as well for my space. I have a small 13'x14'x8' room. 

dc.kundera

I cannot fully answer your question since i dont know the hoyt, but I can say I have the lore s and really enjoy it. I have been driving it with two older amps and just purchased a signature 15. So far so good but ill post more on the combo when I give it a better listen and more hours.

As to the lore s in general, the bass is very good, clear and goes much lower than the size would lead you to think possible. The mids are clear, and the highs detailed. It is revealing, so rich recordings sound lush and poor recordings sound pretty so-so. It needs a long break in - mine really came alive after a month of listening, and I did some break in with white noise and listen for 3-5 hours a day. The only drawbacks a re it is pretty large and I don't have a grille and wish I waited to have one added to it as I'm not crazy about having the transducer exposed. I listen to jazz, classic, opera and a lot of techno and some rock. Is great for jazz. It's supposed to be a rock speaker, particularly good for live recordings. I found its good for that but really shines with jazz combos, is great with reggae and alternative.

stlblue

I cannot fully answer your question since i dont know the hoyt, but I can say I have the lore s and really enjoy it. I have been driving it with two older amps and just purchased a signature 15. So far so good but ill post more on the combo when I give it a better listen and more hours.

Most interested in your findings!!!