I am curious about the Linkwitz LXmini

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
I am curious about the Linkwitz LXmini
« on: 2 Nov 2014, 09:55 pm »
I was reading through a thread on another site that had a list of the top ten most innovative speaker designs. Somewhere along the way I ended up reading about Linkwitz Labs and its new LX521 and LXmini speaker designs. I'm really curious about the LXmini, which is available as a kit for about $400. I'm not familiar with Linkwitz but read a few positive reviews about his new offers. Even so, I wanted to see what the members of this circle made of Mr. Linkwitz or his new speakers.

ttan98

Re: I am curious about the Linkwitz LXmini
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2014, 11:22 pm »
Hi,

At the recent Hi-Fi show at Denver the LXMini got rave reviews from listeners. For a total of less than $400-$500( all components and transportations, etc) you get a nice pair of speakers. Like all speakers it has some limitations the pair is more suitable for small to medium size room.
I am confident they will sound very good because I had designed and built a pair of "clones", my design was
very different from the SL's design but the spkrs configuration is similar, ie 750Hz upwards , a dipole using Full Range driver, and below 750Hz I used a sealed woofer, all the drivers I used were different from those chosen by SL. I have built many pairs of spkrs this pair do sound really good. I can assure you that.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm »
I've eyeballed that design with some curiosity, too.

My guess is it's a decent sounding, but I'd challenge myself to finish it off some way that looked less like what it is...plumbing! The biggest hurdle being that Fernco coupling from pipe to bass driver. I wonder if it's success depends on the flexible coupling those fittings likely provide, dunno.

But then, I remodel houses, so maybe it looks less like it should be in the ground to others. That's not a dig, BTW. And that wasn't supposed to be a pun...I'll stop now.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2014, 01:22 am »
I've eyeballed that design with some curiosity, too.

My guess is it's a decent sounding, but I'd challenge myself to finish it off some way that looked less like what it is...plumbing! The biggest hurdle being that Fernco coupling from pipe to bass driver. I wonder if it's success depends on the flexible coupling those fittings likely provide, dunno.

But then, I remodel houses, so maybe it looks less like it should be in the ground to others. That's not a dig, BTW. And that wasn't supposed to be a pun...I'll stop now.

It doesn't look horrible as long as the markings on the pipes are not facing forward.

From what I have read I think the answer is yes the flexibility of the coupling contributes to the sound. Instead of thinking about it as building a pair, think of it as remodeling the design to look better.

IMHO it's decent looking using black tubes with cherry wood pieces or all an all black design with carbon fiber or wood finish vinyl wrap on the pipes. If you sign up for the Orion user group forum you can see pictures of various designs. Using black colored clamps help the looks too.

Here's the carbon fiber one - http://orion.quicksytes.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3260&p=29353&hilit=carbon+fiber#p29353

Changing the shape of the base from a circle to a rectangle or solid U with chamfered edges would help too.  It seems like a tough design radically change the looks, though. I have thought about a Vandersteen Five-ish look. Put the whole thing inside a rectangular box as tall as the upward firing driver and then add a fabric hood to cover the top. But doing something like that has to affect the sound big time.

I have zero woodworking skills so if I build these it's going to be from a fully supplied kit that has all of the bits and pieces.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2014, 01:39 am »
Double J, I agree, it doesn't look horrible. I rather like the industrial/ utilitarian vibe. I can see lots of possibilities.

I've always wanted to build something that looked like a cross between Mad Max and the Jetsons, and I can see that in this. Saturn rings on the big pipe, exposed hex bolts, patina-ed metal, lights & sirens...OK, maybe forego the lights & sirens. Problem for me is more imagination than time or need for more speakers!

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:01 am »
If one could make them look like the speaker stands in the link below with nice wood bit and black crackle finish on the pipes that would be da bomb.

If the upfiring driver cone was black instead of silver that would help the looks too.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/10-best-system-upgrades-under-ps200

One European source for the kit sells a transparent top pipe. If a transparent down pipe was available, one could possibly figure out how to illuminate it from underneath so it had a glow to it.

PRELUDE

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:37 am »
As far it is very reasonably priced and it is a DIY project, all the piping could be made out of aluminum and get it anodized or power coated to any desired color and make the rest out of zebra or blood wood and let 's say you would spend another $300 on it but it would be a very attractive project. Does somebody knows the dimension of that PVC pipe? I might able to give you a approx. pricing for material and anodizing. You just have to find a place to anodizing for you and you can buy the aluminum on line. They will cut and ship it for you.

TrungT

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2014, 03:39 am »
4" for the down tube

Construction

PRELUDE

« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2014, 03:53 am »
4" for the down tube

Construction
Do you know how long is it?

TrungT

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2014, 04:13 am »
If I remember right 33"

PRELUDE

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2014, 04:28 am »
If I remember right 33"
The aluminum can be bought for $120 and to send it out for anodize would cost the same so let's say $250 a little less or more depends on the location.

TrungT

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2014, 04:38 am »
X 2?

PRELUDE

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2014, 05:18 am »

TrungT

« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2014, 05:34 am »
I like the Clear PVC pipe ideal  :thumb:

lowtech

« Reply #14 on: 3 Nov 2014, 07:10 am »
Clear acrylic pipe to better see the Acousta-Stuf inside? 

Not sure I'd use aluminum, either.  The selection of Sch 40 PVC pipe was not arbitrary.

If color choice is important, I think spray paint, Plasti Dip or the aforementioned vinyl wrap is a better way to go.  One could also build a "Vandersteen style fabric frame" to go over them.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:09 pm »
I like the Clear PVC pipe ideal  :thumb:

Hi Trung. Do you think you might like to try this build? What I found interesting was comments about how the LXmini offered most of the performance of the LX521. The LX521 would probably be better for my listening room, but I'm not ready to spend that kind of money.

sts9fan

« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:14 pm »
I think I am gonna have to try these.

mcgsxr

« Reply #17 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:19 pm »
I could envision a Vandersteen approach using a base and "top" and threaded rod, around which goes speaker cloth of your preferred cover.

Could be interesting for sure.

Davey

« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:21 pm »
I was reading through a thread on another site that had a list of the top ten most innovative speaker designs. Somewhere along the way I ended up reading about Linkwitz Labs and its new LX521 and LXmini speaker designs. I'm really curious about the LXmini, which is available as a kit for about $400. I'm not familiar with Linkwitz but read a few positive reviews about his new offers. Even so, I wanted to see what the members of this circle made of Mr. Linkwitz or his new speakers.

When you include materials (excepting a power amplifier) it's going to cost you more than $400.00.  SL estimates $690.00.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Construction.htm

The LXmini is a great-sounding design, but don't expect room-rattling bass.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:55 pm »
When you include materials (excepting a power amplifier) it's going to cost you more than $400.00.  SL estimates $690.00.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Construction.htm

The LXmini is a great-sounding design, but don't expect room-rattling bass.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Yes, that seems like a more realistic price with the bits and pieces factored in. I'm assuming you could integrate a powered sub with these speakers.