McIntosh XR230 Speakers

bside123

McIntosh XR230 Speakers
« on: 12 May 2013, 03:28 pm »
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with McIntosh XR230 Speakers? I'm trying to help a friend put together a modest 2 channel system, but he already happens to have a pair of these. Sadly, no vintage McIntosh gear though. I've already started the google search process, but I am looking for some direct experience. Thanks!  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: McIntosh XR230 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2013, 04:06 pm »
A somewhat vanilla speaker from the early 90's.  I've heard them a few times as a friend back then was a Mac dealer and they sound pretty much like all McIntosh speakers sound, like they're recreating the sonorous 50's console sound, in a good way.  Low distortion, accurate frequency response, powerful and dramatic bass, does nothing wrong, but nothing spectacular either. 

I think they'd be a good starting point for a non-audiophile's system as they have a pleasing tone, are built like tanks so should still be working with no issues, are 8 ohm nominal so are amplifier friendly, and that period in Mcintosh history was marked by a reduction in wiz bang technology so there's no missing or non-working equalizers or interfaces to deal with.  No need for subwoofers as they'll be pretty full range.  They are fairly inefficient so I would match them with something over 100 watts, preferably closer to 200.  I don't know why you'd need to match them with McIntosh gear, unless there's some aesthetic reason, any good amp should work fine.