BDP-3

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-3
« Reply #40 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:16 am »
So with Roon there won't be any pops and clicks like on BDP-1?

That sounds more like a problem with bandwidth availability, likely a bottle neck somewhere.  Granted I generally don't use roon but I did use it for an entire evening testing it on a BDP-1 before submitting it for certification.  Mostly tidal waves th some highres and DSD mixed in.  If you wish to investigate further you should email us and we can discuss further, your welcome to repost anything exchanged, preferably as another topic.

zoom25

« Reply #41 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:41 am »
During my Roon trial, I got breakups maybe once or twice on the BDP-1. It was the same when streaming from a hard drive connected to the router feeding the BDP-1. BDP-1 didn't lack the juice. It was my network.

zoom25

« Reply #42 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:44 am »
On another note, any pics of the prototype of the BDA-3 and BP-26 combo, or which quarter we're looking at?

Krutsch

« Reply #43 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:40 am »
HI

Sorry I have never use ROON with the BDP-1 so not sure on that count.  Are you sure the ROON server you are using meets spec?

james

I do this daily and it works flawlessly. Although, it doesn't sound as sweet as USB thumb drives directly plugged into the BDP-1.

Hoiman

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2017, 07:05 am »
James in an other topic (about the BDP-2) you said the following: (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110296.msg1589173#msg1589173)
Quote from: Hoiman on 14 Feb 2017, 10:03 am
Also this one has a flyer with it. On this flyer they said that there is a future upgrade coming: extra USB 3.0 ports. From when is this possible and what will the extra cost be?

Hi
That was something we were thinking about but we were not able to implement it.
james

We are going to offer this new CPU circuit board  as a retro fit to current BDP-2’s – I will let you know how that progresses.

But now it's possible? This post is from 1 week ago, I don't get it anymore.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #45 on: 24 Feb 2017, 11:15 am »
I got pretty exited when there was a hope of upgrading my SST2 amps to S3 (cubed). Unfortunately, all the regulatory junk got in the way and it wasn't feasible for  Bryston to offer that upgrade, despite their best efforts to do so.

James, do you think there's any chance that the BDP2 to BDP3 upgrade will fall through also, or is the approval process different/easier since it's not an amplifier?

- Garrett

Hi Garrett - no problem with the BDP-2 upgrade - already looked into it.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2017, 11:19 am »
James in an other topic (about the BDP-2) you said the following: (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110296.msg1589173#msg1589173)

But now it's possible? This post is from 1 week ago, I don't get it anymore.

Its possible now because of the new CPU in the BDP-3.

James

Rod_S

« Reply #47 on: 24 Feb 2017, 01:10 pm »
Any idea as to the price to upgrade the BDP-2's yet? Given the nature of the upgrade that you describe I assume the units would need to be returned to Bryston? And since it's not warranty work we would be paying shipping both ways?

When the units come back I assume they will still be branded as BDP-2's not BDP-3's since there was no mention of changing the front panel, only the rear?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:35 pm »
Any idea as to the price to upgrade the BDP-2's yet? Given the nature of the upgrade that you describe I assume the units would need to be returned to Bryston? And since it's not warranty work we would be paying shipping both ways?

When the units come back I assume they will still be branded as BDP-2's not BDP-3's since there was no mention of changing the front panel, only the rear?

Thanks

Hi Rod

Still looking at pricing and they will probably be called the BDP-2.5 to differentiate between a retrofit and a new BDP-3.

I would say it could be done in the field but in North America I would suggest we do it.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #49 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:47 pm »
Thanks

tomsenko

« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2017, 02:58 pm »
HI

Sorry I have never used ROON with the BDP-1 so not sure on that count.  Are you sure the ROON server you are using meets spec?

james

Pretty sure. It is WIN10 desktop Core i5 computer with 16GB of ram and all software (including roon) installed on SSD.

Grant Hill

« Reply #51 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:01 pm »
It would be nice to be able to use Roon on BDP3 without having a dedicated PC involved. Anyway, I am more interested in an even better sound quality compared to BDP2 and in the capability of hadle DSD.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 24 Feb 2017, 05:15 pm »
Pretty sure. It is WIN10 desktop Core i5 computer with 16GB of ram and all software (including roon) installed on SSD.

Hi

That seems more than capable so not sure what is going on there.

james

Yitshak

« Reply #53 on: 24 Feb 2017, 06:56 pm »
Hi

Quote from sound&vision :

"The BDP-3 is set up for integration with Roon library management/playback software..."

Just to be sure I understand this correctly,
The software will run on the BDP-3 CPU board and organize
the attached Library from with in the BDP-3 no PC needed in the system?

And if so how sound wise results compare to MM so far?

Thanks
Itshak

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #54 on: 24 Feb 2017, 07:17 pm »
Hi

Quote from sound&vision :

"The BDP-3 is set up for integration with Roon library management/playback software..."

Just to be sure I understand this correctly,
The software will run on the BDP-3 CPU board and organize
the attached Library from with in the BDP-3 no PC needed in the system?

And if so how sound wise results compare to MM so far?

Thanks
Itshak

Hi Itshak

No ROON still needs a PC Server.  What we are seeing is if ROON CORE can run on the new CPU on the BDP-3 and if so will ROON allow us to include it.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #55 on: 25 Feb 2017, 12:35 am »
Hi,

Just thinking of a wish list for BDP-3: :thumb:
1) Larger display with colour capacities
2) Video out for a monitor
3) Favorite apps can be saved
4) DSD capable
5) No fan
6) USB - C connections
7) multi-channel playback
8) WiFi capable,  not sure on this one
9) Keyboard or touch screen
10) Networking & control from different locations 
11) Two internal hard drives

All everyone is welcome to add to the list...

Phil A

« Reply #56 on: 25 Feb 2017, 01:02 am »
Hi,

Just thinking of a wish list for BDP-3: :thumb:
1) Larger display with colour capacities
2) Video out for a monitor
3) Favorite apps can be saved
4) DSD capable
5) No fan
6) USB - C connections
7) multi-channel playback
8) WiFi capable,  not sure on this one
9) Keyboard or touch screen
10) Networking & control from different locations 
11) Two internal hard drives

All everyone is welcome to add to the list...

Did I miss something that number 4 is already including in the specs?  http://www.soundandvision.com/content/bryston-unveils-%E2%80%98lightning-fast%E2%80%99-digital-music-player#lcJEJMtskIBvTFi8.97  I did mention earlier about DSD over other than USB and that was answered in reply number 27

gdbalp

« Reply #57 on: 25 Feb 2017, 01:28 am »
Hi,

For DSD capable, the word that I was missing was 256.  They say that DSD 256 is equal to the original master recordings, side by side comparisons...  This feature would be great to have with the BDA-3 that is capable of DSD 256...
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Luigi

Phil A

« Reply #58 on: 25 Feb 2017, 01:32 am »
That explains it.  Not tons of quad DSD recordings at the moment though.

plurn

« Reply #59 on: 25 Feb 2017, 02:58 am »
HI

Yes the BDP-3 is something we decided on very recently and is really just a CPU circuit board that became available last month that Chris found.  So until recently we had no idea of any changes forthcoming.

We are going to offer this new CPU circuit board  as a retro fit to current BDP-2’s – I will let you know how that progresses.  The BDP-3 is still about 2 months away so we were just giving people lots of notice.

james

Interesting. The motherboard looks very much like a Jetway NF9N-2930 from around 2015. Out of curiosity I'll start looking for news of newly released Jetway motherboards that look the same.