BDP-3

Marius

Re: BDP-3
« Reply #120 on: 10 Mar 2017, 06:21 pm »
Pete, (Canadian Maestro),

tried to answer your PM but you're blocking me ;-)

Sorry Board, for this.

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #121 on: 10 Mar 2017, 07:26 pm »
Pete, (Canadian Maestro),

tried to answer your PM but you're blocking me ;-)

Sorry Board, for this.

Cheers,
Marius

Thanks, Marius.

Should be ok now.

Apologies.

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #122 on: 10 Mar 2017, 09:51 pm »
wow that would make the BDP3 a game changer

Agreed !

I love my bdp-1 and haven't seen the need to upgrade to a bdp-2, but if a bdp-3 can run Roon then that's a completely different proposition!

Will wait to see what happens with interest...

Ian

XMAN

« Reply #123 on: 11 Mar 2017, 01:46 am »
The BDP2 will run Roon.  :scratch:

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #124 on: 11 Mar 2017, 03:36 am »
Eagerly awaiting this product. :)

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #125 on: 11 Mar 2017, 03:40 am »
The BDP2 will run Roon.  :scratch:

As an Endpoint (music recipient), yes, but I don't believe it has the processing power to also act as a Core (music server).

If the BDP-3 is powerful enough to do both, it removes the need to have something else on your network - such as a computer or powerful enough NAS - to be left on all the time just to serve the files.

Ian

Rod_S

« Reply #126 on: 11 Mar 2017, 02:11 pm »
It'll be interesting to know if this is truly powerful enough to be a Roon Core.

Phil A

« Reply #127 on: 11 Mar 2017, 04:27 pm »
It'll be interesting to know if this is truly powerful enough to be a Roon Core.

It should be - https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #128 on: 11 Mar 2017, 04:33 pm »
It should be - https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

Chris knows better but as I understand the CPU is more than capable - its just that it needs a storage device for the Library.

james

Phil A

« Reply #129 on: 11 Mar 2017, 05:00 pm »
James/Chris

It is my understanding that running the BDP-2 with Roon basically would amount to network streaming (using a PC with Roon Core) vs. playing from local hard drives?  Some have noted that the playback quality is not as good or different (depending on how one wants to categorize it).  Am I correct in understanding that if the BDP-3 acts as a Roon Core then playback will amount to local drive playback?  Thanks.

Nuz1

« Reply #130 on: 17 Mar 2017, 11:06 pm »
I'm very excited about the Roon Core possibilities on the BDP-3.  It would be the solution I've been looking for.  I'll be watching for more updates!   

XMAN

« Reply #131 on: 18 Mar 2017, 03:06 pm »
Will the BDP 3 be able play 11.2896 MHz DSD?

Hoiman

« Reply #132 on: 24 Mar 2017, 06:30 pm »
BDP 3 be able play 11.2896 MHz DSD?

Isn't this depending on your DAC. I had for 3 weeks a BDA-1, this one doesn't play DSD files but the BDA-3 I got today do play them.

ps. I heard today that I will be the first person in The Netherlands who is going to get the BDP-3, I can not wait anymore. :D :D

Phil A

« Reply #133 on: 24 Mar 2017, 07:09 pm »

ps. I heard today that I will be the first person in The Netherlands who is going to get the BDP-3, I can not wait anymore. :D :D

Looking forward to feedback

Grant Hill

« Reply #134 on: 24 Mar 2017, 07:44 pm »
Isn't this depending on your DAC. I had for 3 weeks a BDA-1, this one doesn't play DSD files but the BDA-3 I got today do play them.

Congrats

XMAN

« Reply #135 on: 24 Mar 2017, 10:24 pm »

My BDA3 can but the BDP2 cannot

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #136 on: 25 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm »

oooOOOooohhh... Let me know when it arrives, I'll definitely drop by for that cup of tea!!!

Hoiman

« Reply #137 on: 26 Mar 2017, 10:52 am »
oooOOOooohhh... Let me know when it arrives, I'll definitely drop by for that cup of tea!!!

Je bent welkom.

Yesterday the BDA-3 already arrived here, Man what a sound!!!!

R. Daneel

« Reply #138 on: 26 Mar 2017, 12:59 pm »
Hi guys!

I have some thoughts on the BDP-3 I would like to share with you.

There are some among you who believe BDP-3 will bring new features to the table. I don't think that's the case at all. File-format support as well as audio quality will surely be the same as on the BDP-2 because nothing in the hardware department will change. What will change is the motherboard which will be of a newer design. But it has nothing to do with the actual audio processing. Rather, it takes care of the management side of things so load times will be shorter.

Also, this 64bit architecture is interesting. It is interesting because if you might remember that first 64bit CPUs came out three years before Microsoft released a 64bit OS and even then there was very little software that supported the specification so ultimately, the CPUs were not put to good use. Some of the potential had gone to waste. In fact, it was even worse than that because by the time there was something that would use these CPUs to their full potential, the CPUs were three years obsolete.

In the context of BDP-3, I wouldn't rush out and upgrade my own BDP-1 or -2 based on the promise of more features. Roon Core functionality sounds nice but I'd rather wait and see whether that becomes a reality or not. By the time it does, there might be a BDP-4.

In any case, there are features I'd like to see added a lot more. For example:

1. BDP could easily serve as a recording device. You could connect an external A/D converter to one of it's USB ports and record in high-resolution. Now that Bryston has a turntable and a selection of phono stages is available, this would seem like a useful facility to anyone wishing to preserve their precious and rare LPs.

2. Parametric EQ would be very useful.

3. Digital crossover via USB would be essential to anyone wishing to build an active system with no unneccessary A/D-D/A conversion. For example, BDP-2 is far, far superior in terms of hardware to some standalone digital crossovers that do precisely that, albeit via S/PDIF. There are companies who could help Bryston with this, just like Aurality helped with the BDP-1.

4. And I still don't see any reason why the actual display cannot show elapsed time within a specific track like an ordinary CD player does. Must we always be reminded we're dealing with a computer?

Right, well, I hope this answered some questions and poses some other ones!

Cheers!
Antun

Hoiman

« Reply #139 on: 26 Mar 2017, 01:11 pm »
it takes care of the management side of things so load times will be shorter.

For me this is very important and because I didn't had a BDP before I ordered the last one build.

Overall: there will be always a better, more beuatifull etc.. one but I settle with this one ;-)