Static in Speakers at low volume and when adjusting

TKonrad.NOLA

Static in Speakers at low volume and when adjusting
« on: 18 Dec 2019, 07:10 pm »
I just added two new components to my system.  A Schiit DAC and an Auralic Streamer.  I am using the balanced inputs on my Yamaha AS2100.  I hear static at low volumes and when adjusting from low to medium.  Once at a normal listening volume, the static is no longer present.  Any idea how to troubleshoot this?  J

Wind Chaser

Re: Static in Speakers at low volume and when adjusting
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2019, 07:30 pm »
If you didn't have the problem before the Schiit and Auralic, unplug them both and listen again. Then plug in and test one unit at a time to see which of the two is the source of the problem.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2019, 08:38 pm »
If you didn't have the problem before the Schiit and Auralic, unplug them both and listen again. Then plug in and test one unit at a time to see which of the two is the source of the problem.

I switched from the Balanced inputs to single ended inputs and the issue is gone.  now to figure out if it is the cable, the inputs on the DAC or the inputs on the Amp.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2019, 09:48 pm by DigitalDude »

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2019, 10:38 pm »
if the issues is in both channels - I doubt the cable.  Have you cleaned the contacts?

Maybe Paul79 can weigh in.  PM him.  This is his specialty.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2019, 01:32 am »
Volume controls get old and make noise exactly as you describe. USually they an be cleaned with a shot of fader lube (usually found with guitar stuff, ir common electronic cleaning stuff.
Other types may be nore 'elegant. but fader lube is the stuff you need, or like it.
Where the volume control is, inside it.., spray fader lube.
After ten years my Bryston BP-26 volume is making noise when moved. But is perfect when not turned.
PS. turn it off.. and turn the volume back a forth a LOT many times. the turn on. Is the noise gone??? Then fer' sure you should get fader lube. as the noise will be back in a few days..