Hi, I am new to audio forums

bobbybaner

Hi, I am new to audio forums
« on: 16 Jul 2018, 07:41 pm »
Hi;

I am new to audio forums but have been an enthusiast for several years now. I recently purchased the Focal Clear headphones and I am driving them with a Violectric V280. I find the Violectric a bit too strident with the Clears, especially compared to a tube amp I borrowed from a friend. I'm not sure I want to go down the tube rolling rabbit hole as I have been there before. I have heard that the SPL Phonitor X or E are less strident than the Violectric. Has anybody compared the Violectric V280/1 with the Phonitor X or E? Perhaps I should be asking this question in a separate post or forum.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi, I am new to audio forums
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2018, 08:43 pm »
Welcome Bobby :thumb:

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2018, 03:15 am »
Welcome !! :thumb:
Try the headphone circle on here. Are you familiar with headfi forum? Tens of thousands of headphone freaks over there!!

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2018, 12:46 pm »
Welcome!

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2018, 01:33 pm »
Ahhh, that elusive synergy... Have you tried other SS amps with your Focals? I know the Violectric and Phonitor brands only by reputation (the Phonitor looks like a ham radio  :lol: ) Do you live within reasonable distance of any shows? What are the other elements in the chain (source, DAC etc)? Maybe the problem is there and only revealed by your Violectric/Focal system.

If you get a tube amp and are satisfied with the sound, leave the tubes alone. Problem solved. For SS, Burson may be another one worth looking at.

Welcome to the forums.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2018, 02:21 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC BobbyB   :thumb:

bobbybaner

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2018, 03:33 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I will check out the headphone circle and Head-Fi.

To dB Cooper's points, I am using a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC with the Violectric, which is somewhat dull sounding and if anything tames the Violectirc's stridency. It's just that the Focal sound is so dynamic and punchy that it can become fatiguing after a while when coupled with an amp like the Violectric V281.

There was an audio show in the spring where I live and I missed it so I will have to wait until next year. It is becoming increasingly more difficult to audition audio gear as brick and mortar stores are disappearing and the ones that do exist tend to carry gear that they know they can move - Beats, home theater systems, wireless speakers, etc. and "hifi" stores tend to not carry brands that compete for the same market. For example, I have never seen any two of the following speakers sold at the same store: Harbeth, Graham, Falcon, Rogers or Spendor. Going from store to store, listening in different acoustic conditions, with different components in the chain whilst trying to remember what you heard in the last store is painful. Which is in part why this hobby is so expensive and why forums like this have become so popular.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2018, 08:16 pm »
One can get very lost in headphone forums. Sounds like your best bet is to travel to a headphone show. Unfortunately, that may mean a bit of waiting.