Help me understand differeneces of M5 Sapphire vs M3 Sapphire and X5 vs X3

split-cane

Thinking of purchasing some Spatials. Need some assistance from people who have heard them. Thanks in advance.

So, thanks to New Day Record, I believe I have a good idea what the differences are between the M3 Sapphire and the X5. What I can't seem to get my head around is what are the differences between the two Ms and same for the two Xs. On paper the Ms are very similar to each other except for impedance. Same driver types. Same freq resp. Same sensitivity. Same, same. The M3 has an extra driver but doesn't seem to affect anything...on paper. Same goes for the X series. The only apparent difference is that the X3 has 12" and 15" drivers and the X5 has two 12s.

Why would anyone spend more money for the M3 when it is harder to drive than the M5?

Why would anyone spend more money for the X3 for no apparent improvement?

Thanks for your insights.

sockpit

I own, on Clayton’s recommendation, M5s.  Why didn’t he direct me to th M3s?  I’m pretty sure because of my small room size of 11 by 13.  The M5s have the advantage in my situation of not exciting the small room bass modes. If my room were twice as big I’d have gone for the M3s or even X5s.  I think the idea is that each speaker has its appropriate application, and those with second and larger woofers do better in larger spaces.  I’m inferring this from my conversation on phone with him before my purchase. The M3s second woofer just gives the speaker more umph below about 90 hz.  Clayton will certainly correct me if I’m off “bass.”

Mr. Big

M3's are not hard to drive at all, over the 5's you add more foundation to the music, the X series works best in a room where there can be more distance between you and the speaker, Clayton helped me pick the M3's due to my room and going from Quads and wanting more bottom end. Clayton designs them so take his input and go with it. The budget also plays a part for many also.

Desertpilot

• Retired
M3's are not hard to drive at all, over the 5's you add more foundation to the music, the X series works best in a room where there can be more distance between you and the speaker, Clayton helped me pick the M3's due to my room and going from Quads and wanting more bottom end. Clayton designs them so take his input and go with it. The budget also plays a part for many also.

Agreed.  Aside from room size, you need to consider the tweeter designs as they are radically different.  M series, a more traditional, but heavily modified, tweeter: "Spatial M100 Uniwave® Broadband Tweeter, Synthetic Sapphire Ceramic diaphragm".  The X series, a more directional wave guide tweeter: "Air motion transformer-studio grade-wideband design with waveguide".  People will have a preference for one over the other.

Marcus

geerock

Agreed.  Aside from room size, you need to consider the tweeter designs as they are radically different.  M series, a more traditional, but heavily modified, tweeter: "Spatial M100 Uniwave® Broadband Tweeter, Synthetic Sapphire Ceramic diaphragm".  The X series, a more directional wave guide tweeter: "Air motion transformer-studio grade-wideband design with waveguide".  People will have a preference for one over the other.

Marcus

I chose my X5's over the M series because of the Beyma AMT and the ultralam baffle.  The AMT is touted as a world class tweeter / upper midrange driver.  And I learned from owning Magnepans the importance of having a stiff and dense baffle when using dipole speakers.  There were several DIY tips to improving and strengthening the Maggie baffles and i was surprised of the differences it made when i "fixed" mine.  Sooner than later though the difficiencies in the Maggie's just wore on me and i went to X5's.  Worth every penny... and I got mine right before the price increase.