Hobbs X-Statik Rebuild & Upgrade

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Hobbs X-Statik Rebuild & Upgrade
« Reply #60 on: 26 May 2021, 07:18 am »
Hi Hobbs will you have them out into the room for listening and pushed back when not or a variation in between. Have you done your LOTS yet? :)

Cheers
SC

They're not finished yet, sadly. I've been far too busy getting ready to move within the next week.
So chances are, they won't be moving past their current state, like my Studios, they won't get finished until after the move.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #61 on: 15 Jun 2021, 03:32 am »
So the front baffle does not come off!? Hummm I’m looking at a set that will need to be repainted and no res the whole nine. So will be doing the same, I hope soon. I have some questions. Also found some XS-LS was considering picking up. But looking forward to some Statiks, and a Voce! Looking forward to seeing yours done man!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 15 Jun 2021, 04:06 am »
Nah, man they're totally glued in place. The AV models did have 6 bolts, but they're just there to prevent the glue from coming apart when moving the speakers around.
They have a small panel on the bottom that let you get to the original crossover board.

The original stuffing is a pain to remove, esp the last remaining bits...

The X Statiks are a great kit, esp as an entry point into OB.

My moving pod should be here tomorrow morning so I'll be getting my speakers back in hand, finally along with 95% of my stuff.

Should hopefully have my own place by this weekend if all goes as planned. So once im all settled I should be free to work on all my projects over the weekends, weather permitting.

Tho, the copper caps for my Studios are too big and will take up too much air space, so im gunna have to go with an external crossover. Which also means I'm going to have to design a box for them to go into as well. Plus I'm getting orders out the door before I even get my own woofers & kit... :P

Luckily that won't be an issue for my X Statiks, just some touch up in a couple spots, then clear coat them and eventually repainting the bases/plinths.

Ill also be swapping out a pair of regular M-165 woofers for a pair of shielded ones to match the upper woofers from the AV-123 speaker. Gunna look really nice once they're finally all done!  :thumb:

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #63 on: 15 Jun 2021, 11:00 pm »
Awesome man!! Good stuff.

Why I want to start with the AV123 shielded and the cabinet. They are in good shape. I’ll see if I can send uou some photos. But, they will need to be re-painted. Or... I had another idea for solid colors. Maybe wrapping them. Ya know, done so much with cars and other things, why not these. Nice black and white or all black. Matching the original matte. Just an idea I had.

Pack safely!! Lol

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 11 Jul 2021, 11:33 pm »
A small update!

Finally made some time to work on my X-Statiks again.
Attempted to spray them on Wednesday, but my gun developed a bad o-ring and it was leaking like crazy from the trigger. So I ordered a new one and spent the afternoon today spraying them with several coats of clear.

In the process, my tent flipped over in the breeze and broke a leg..

So I did some work in the back of a shipping container.
Probably not the safest way to do it... But I have a pretty solid filtration mask, and took regular 5-10min breaks between sprays to vent out the fumes, and to get fresh air/water.

Gunna let them chill for 24 hours to allow the lacquer to finish curing before I take them home and finally assemble them. :thumb:

I do like the idea of wrapping them at some point. (Or even white plasti-dip so if i dont like it, I can just peel it off later.) :P

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 15 Jul 2021, 01:07 am »
IT LIVES!!!  :icon_twisted:

Got the first MTM section up and playing!

I chipped the area right by the tweeter & I used lacquer thinner to patch it a bit, hence the shiny spot.  :duh:

Only 7 more drivers to go! :P

hawkeyejw

« Reply #66 on: 15 Jul 2021, 02:39 am »
Lol, wiring those things up took me 90% longer than I expected. Worth it though.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 15 Jul 2021, 02:50 am »
For me, it was all the prep work before coating them in lacquer.
But I'm also not 100% sure how to do this sort of thing "correctly"
I just went till it was "good enough" lol

I definitely wanna work on getting better in the future tho. :P

dryan01uk

« Reply #68 on: 15 Jul 2021, 06:35 am »
Mr Hobbs,

They look fantastic.  I assume the bolts you've 'hidden' on the front baffle are 'overkill' and unnecessary in a standard build?

Great job.

David

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #69 on: 15 Jul 2021, 10:19 am »
IT LIVES!!!  :icon_twisted:

Got the first MTM section up and playing!

I chipped the area right by the tweeter & I used lacquer thinner to patch it a bit, hence the shiny spot.  :duh:

Only 7 more drivers to go! :P

Hobbs nothing like sanding down the baffle you thought you had finished. I get the sand, spray, sand, spray and some more sanding again of speaker finishing.  :thumb: Looking good mate.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #70 on: 15 Jul 2021, 12:31 pm »
Mr Hobbs,

They look fantastic.  I assume the bolts you've 'hidden' on the front baffle are 'overkill' and unnecessary in a standard build?

Great job.

David

Yeah, for sure. it was only to help the original cabinet better match the flatpack version, which only used glue.

Thanks! Just gotta finish putting the other one together and im basically finished!  :thumb:

I cant wait to finally get them up and playing again!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #71 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:02 am »
I'll just leave this here for now~  :wink:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #72 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:35 am »
Looking good!   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #73 on: 16 Jul 2021, 05:02 am »
That's quite a nice little system you got there man.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #74 on: 16 Jul 2021, 05:46 am »
Ya That's the set up.

I like "the best speaker stands". Someday soon they will come back, I hope. lol

hawkeyejw

« Reply #75 on: 16 Jul 2021, 07:57 am »
Looks great Hobbs!

Chewbacca

« Reply #76 on: 16 Jul 2021, 12:50 pm »
Awesome little setup you got there! Are you planning on using the bass unit speaker stands with your NX-Studios?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 16 Jul 2021, 01:24 pm »
Thanks guys!

I'm so glad to finally have them done! :thumb:
Ya That's the set up.

I like "the best speaker stands". Someday soon they will come back, I hope. lol
8" subs are on order, so no worries there. :P

That's quite a nice little system you got there man.
I'm gunna be borrowing a pair of 300B monoblocks from Ron to help burn those in while finishing burning these babies in too. Cant wait! Ill definitely need a good day off this weekend to just sit back and enjoy them.  :P

Awesome little setup you got there! Are you planning on using the bass unit speaker stands with your NX-Studios?
Yup! Thats the final plan for those!
My studios still got a fair ways to go tho..  :cry:

mkrawcz

« Reply #78 on: 16 Jul 2021, 01:52 pm »
You’re going to be in for a shock with those 300b monos compared to that little Sprout you have. :-)

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #79 on: 16 Jul 2021, 05:30 pm »
Now before you get too comfortable with them you should loan them to New Record Day for a comprehensive review.