Super 10 Alnico Monitor!

zmaggio

Super 10 Alnico Monitor!
« on: 3 Sep 2020, 05:30 pm »
OK, I've been holding my tongue waiting to see if anybody would chime in with more information about these new beauties Louis is offering, but since nobody's posted, I'll break the silence... what does anybody know about these?  Anybody have them on order?  I'm thinking about talking with Louis about the possibility of doing these new 10" drivers in an XRS cabinet.

Super excited to see this latest direction Louis is going in, I have been thinking how much I would like my SAM with a slightly larger driver...

Doody

• Troublemaker
Re: Super 10 Alnico Monitor!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2020, 08:30 pm »
i saw something on facebook or whatnot that louis posted about this.

10" is a big driver. can it have the PRaT that the 6" driver does?

doody

Maven86

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2020, 08:04 pm »
I was about to pull the trigger on the 8XRS for the basement but thought that maybe the drivers might be a little small for the space (~30x35).  These look like they might be a perfect fit if they packed those 10' drivers into a pair of towers.

Docere

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2020, 10:50 am »
Ooh, lovely. They should sound effortless with a wide range of music. Curious to hear what is gained and lost relative to the smaller AlNiCo.

Tempting.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2020, 03:29 am »
Are these available for order? I don't see any info on the website. I'd love some specs and thoughts about how they compare. I'd seriously consider a pair.

Factorz

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2020, 09:49 pm »
Looks like Louis has created a tower version of this speakers as well. Looks nice.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2020, 10:33 pm »
Looks like Louis has created a tower version of this speakers as well. Looks nice.

Any photos or pricing information?

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2020, 11:27 pm »
for pete's sake, somebody listen to the damn things and report back on how they compare!

:popcorn:

doody.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2020, 02:09 am »
+1

zmaggio

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2020, 03:47 pm »
Drooling over these beautiful speakers.  Louis suggested they will be available on the website starting next week.  A couple of people have asked him on social media about the price point; he won't say publicly, but instead says they should call him to discuss.  If I had to guess, I would say that these XRS model will come in at $3,395 or $3,500?   I could be wrong, pure speculation on my part.

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2020, 04:19 pm »
zmaggio,

Thank you so much.

Can anyone offer an opinion on any negative aspects of the 10” version as compared to the 8” or smaller speakers?

I’m leaning towards the 10’s but hopefully will hear a pair of Louis’s speakers soon.

jmolsberg

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2020, 02:01 pm »
looks like that big ol driver is countersunk - pretty cool looking

AvsFan

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2020, 07:18 pm »
Those look amazing!

zmaggio

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2020, 08:01 pm »
Well, Louis just listed this pair in the "Buy Now" section of the website with a matching 10 inch subwoofer at the pretty amazing price of $2,995.  I had been checking the site obsessively waiting for this pair to post, and my heart sank when they did, because that price is so good for that system but I just didn't want the sub.  So I wistfully watched as someone else bought them within about five minutes of them being posted. 

I hope whoever the lucky person is who bought them reports in with some observations after they get them! 

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2020, 09:07 pm »
Agree, I don’t want the sub now too. The pair looks beautiful though.

FireGuy

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2020, 01:01 am »
I've never been a fan of white but wow, those are marvelous.  Facing wood veneer over white in this case is stunning.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #16 on: 19 Oct 2020, 03:38 pm »
Well, Louis just listed this pair in the "Buy Now" section of the website with a matching 10 inch subwoofer at the pretty amazing price of $2,995.  I had been checking the site obsessively waiting for this pair to post, and my heart sank when they did, because that price is so good for that system but I just didn't want the sub.  So I wistfully watched as someone else bought them within about five minutes of them being posted. 

I hope whoever the lucky person is who bought them reports in with some observations after they get them! 

So I'm the one who purchased this set. I was looking into getting a pair of CAM's and saw the post about this set a couple days ago. When I saw them become available I just decided to place the order. It just seemed like way too good a deal to pass up. However, I'm not 100% sure these will work in my room. I'm talking to Louis before they ship to discuss. My listening area is about 11' wide and 10' deep and opens along the right side to about 1200 sq ft of living area. My current speakers are about 9' apart and I sit about 9' from them so a good triangle. However one speaker is in a corner and one is on the open side of the room, so not ideal. The wall behind me is a half wall for some stairs going down, so I have some room behind me before reflections so that helps. I also already have a pair of REL T5i subs, so I don't necessarily need the sub. However, since it matches the set and the price was unbelievable I could use it and sell the REL's or put them somewhere else. My wife may also shoot me when this stuff arrives but I'm hoping the looks will win her over. We'll see!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2020, 04:14 pm »
So I'm the one who purchased this set. I was looking into getting a pair of CAM's and saw the post about this set a couple days ago. When I saw them become available I just decided to place the order. It just seemed like way too good a deal to pass up. However, I'm not 100% sure these will work in my room. I'm talking to Louis before they ship to discuss. My listening area is about 11' wide and 10' deep and opens along the right side to about 1200 sq ft of living area. My current speakers are about 9' apart and I sit about 9' from them so a good triangle. However one speaker is in a corner and one is on the open side of the room, so not ideal. The wall behind me is a half wall for some stairs going down, so I have some room behind me before reflections so that helps. I also already have a pair of REL T5i subs, so I don't necessarily need the sub. However, since it matches the set and the price was unbelievable I could use it and sell the REL's or put them somewhere else. My wife may also shoot me when this stuff arrives but I'm hoping the looks will win her over. We'll see!

Congrats, they look amazing and I'm sure they will sound amazing too!  :thumb:

jmolsberg

« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2020, 04:23 pm »
congrats! you're probably a dead man  :lol:

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2020, 05:24 pm »
Well done on the Alnico 10’s. Congratulations!