The Monolith open baffle planar speakers

HAL

Re: The Monolith open baffle planar speakers
« Reply #180 on: 5 Aug 2019, 12:19 am »
Have the latest pair of planar baffles with the GR-NEO3's and BG NEO10's setup on the 2x12 OB subs for listening.

Saturn94

« Reply #181 on: 5 Aug 2019, 02:02 am »
Any noteworthy differences compared to what you were using?

HAL

« Reply #182 on: 5 Aug 2019, 02:06 am »
Going to put some hours on them first to see. 

Heard the planars change during AXPONA2019 when they were new like these.  Will see in a few days how they are doing.

HAL

« Reply #183 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:42 pm »
One advantage of having a dspMusik crossover is that with speakers like The Monoliths, you can place the planar tops and servo subs in different positions in the room and use time delay to adjust for the distance offsets.

This way if you get better bass response with the subs in different positions than the planar mains, it can be compensated.

Saturn94

« Reply #184 on: 16 Aug 2019, 02:24 pm »
Nice! 👍

HAL

« Reply #185 on: 2 Oct 2019, 03:07 am »
Experimenting with The Monoliths and separating the planar baffle from the subs. 

Put the subs back 3' from the rear wall and moved the planar tops on stands closer to the listening position.  I am setup in my larger listening room, so using 1/2 of the 6x12's (3x12) with the HX300-12OB servo amps.

The dspMusik 2x8 is being used to compensate for both the distance offset and SPL drop from the subs since the two pieces are in different locations in the listening room.   

This is working really well!  :D

HAL

I still have stock of new BG NEO10 and GR-NEO3 planar drivers for making The Monoliths speakers as kits or build speakers. 

PM me for more information.

Zitoun

« Reply #187 on: 29 Feb 2020, 01:06 pm »
SoCalWJS,

The best way for me to describe The Monoliths sound is that they are like a really good pair of planar headphones with real low frequency response you feel.   

Having response down to below 20Hz really adds to the sense of music in a venue.

Since you have the S-7's, which I have heard as well, reminds me of a small version of those.
Hello,
I have 2 questionsl on these speakers, great work BTW.

How does the planar top pane perform compared to the Otica MTM ?
Also, can you reuse the Parts (drivers, and crossovers) to upgrade to a Super 7 later down the road ?

Thanks,

HAL

« Reply #188 on: 29 Feb 2020, 02:12 pm »
Zitoun,

Thanks!

I have not heard the Otica MTM to comment on differences in sound.

The BG NEO10 and GR Neo3 planars are the same as the drivers used in the Super 7. 

The Monoliths use the 16 Ohm OB version of the 12" servo subs with Rythmik HX300-12OB servo amps with the 2x12's.  I believe the Super 7's use the Rythmik A370PEQ and 8 Ohm OB drivers.  The Monoliths with the DSP crossover need a balanced input servo amp.

The dspMusik or dspNexus can be reused in the system for other speakers digital crossovers, but I would have to develop a Super 7 crossover, and I do not have them to measure to do the digital design.

Zitoun

« Reply #189 on: 1 Mar 2020, 12:39 am »
Zitoun,

Thanks!

I have not heard the Otica MTM to comment on differences in sound.

The BG NEO10 and GR Neo3 planars are the same as the drivers used in the Super 7. 

The Monoliths use the 16 Ohm OB version of the 12" servo subs with Rythmik HX300-12OB servo amps with the 2x12's.  I believe the Super 7's use the Rythmik A370PEQ and 8 Ohm OB drivers.  The Monoliths with the DSP crossover need a balanced input servo amp.

The dspMusik or dspNexus can be reused in the system for other speakers digital crossovers, but I would have to develop a Super 7 crossover, and I do not have them to measure to do the digital design.

Thanks for all the very detailed answer,do you think itMs possible to build a monolith version with subs compatible with a futur upgrade to a Super 7, and could you use the part from the crossover to reourpose the top panel ?

Also what is the cost of the top panel parts and flat pack ?

Thanks

HAL

« Reply #190 on: 1 Mar 2020, 01:13 am »
Zitoun,
This is a full 3-way active kit version of The Monoliths speaker system with a DSP active crossover. There are no passive crossovers. I do offer a fully built version of the speaker system as well with the DSP crossover.

I do not sell the open baffle flat packs and planar drivers separately.

I do not have the 8 ohm version servo drivers or A370PEQ servo amp here to use for a different crossover development, so the kit is as explained in the earlier post.   

I suggest you just start with the GR Research passive Super Mini system and upgrade later to Super 7's planar tops on the 2x12's since they are both passive crossover designs.  Danny can tell you if the passive crossover parts from Super Mini's can be used later with the Super 7's.