Eastern Electric DAC

Gopher

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #360 on: 3 Mar 2010, 02:14 am »
I know I'm patiently awaiting the release of the Squeezebox Touch which is capable of doing the higher samplings and reportedly (from beta testers) has a much better digital out.

Till that comes out I'm using a Duet primarily and plugged in an HD DVD player tonight--I'll probably swap that for my PS3 though.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #361 on: 3 Mar 2010, 05:51 am »
Photo taken by Levi of the Eastern Electric DAC from the Feb. Rave last Saturday..... :thumb:

srb

« Reply #362 on: 3 Mar 2010, 06:53 am »
Some more info on the Airport Express N and the ESS Sabre DACs in the Peachtree Audio products:

From David Solomon of Signal Path/Peachtree Audio/Era Design:
"We have uncovered the problem w/AE (N) version... The Nova works fine w/ AE (G).  Apparently, the new AE, N has more jitter than the ESS DAC allows at its highest performance level so it takes about a quarter note for the DAC to kick in and sometimes even drops out during the song.

We have a free software mod that allows for more jitter into the 2nd set of digital inputs.  This will solve the problem, but the 2nd input will not sound quite as good as digital input 1 from both coax and toslink. Don't get me wrong, it will still sound very good, but if you have a unit w/less jitter, use input 1."

From 6 Moons (apparently quoting Peachtree Audio):
"We found that many devices have more jitter than we initially allowed as acceptable. This could cut off the first few milliseconds of a recording. On the Nova, we wrote a software upgrade so that digital input 2 (opt/coax) allowed more incoming jitter so the beginning of the song would not cut off. On the Decco 2 and iDecco, we instead put a switch on the back to accommodate such devices."

Steve

sfox7076

« Reply #363 on: 3 Mar 2010, 04:29 pm »
Bill,

I don't mean to sound overly negative, but right now, the DAC is largely a paperweight for me because it does not support the AEX.

Shawn

Gopher

« Reply #364 on: 3 Mar 2010, 04:44 pm »
I'm curious, would something like a Monarch DIP in between the AEX and EE resolve your issue?  I've gotta imagine using an external clock would bring the jitter down to a level the Sabre could work with.  That would probably result in a better sound than modifying the unit to accept more jitter as it sounds like the Nova's with that modification suffered SQ wise.

How are the AEX's as transports with other DACs in general?  Is jitter really that high?  If so I can't imagine they work out well...

srb

« Reply #365 on: 3 Mar 2010, 04:51 pm »
Shawn,

It's unfortunate that the Airport Express N has a problem with the ESS Sabre DAC, but I see it as more of an Apple problem than an EE/ESS problem.

Yes, I know the AE-N works with most other DAC's optical inputs, but on the other hand, most other optical sources (so far) do work fine with the EE Minimax DAC.

Perhaps there is a solution, but keep in mind that Peachtree Audio's solution resulted in a slightly degraded sound.

If someone will verify that the AE-G works fine, I think acquiring one of those (either trading someone your N for their G, or selling the N and buying a G) might be the best solution for now.

I know that is a small hassle, and I'm sure that Alex, the engineers and Bill will look further into what could possibly be done, but if it is likely that the fix results in minor degradation and the AE-G will work, then that might still be the best way to go.

Steve

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #366 on: 3 Mar 2010, 05:14 pm »
Bill,

I don't mean to sound overly negative, but right now, the DAC is largely a paperweight for me because it does not support the AEX.

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I just don't see in the near future a fix using the Apple Airport Ex-N. I know Alex and his engineers are looking into it but I'm highly doubtful they will find a cure for the high rate of jitter that the Apple EX-N seems to put out thru its optical.
 One of the great things about the EE DAC and incorporating the ESS9018 chip is its jitterless application.

I will be more then happy to refund your purchase of the DAC.

Kindest Regards,
 Bill O'Connell

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #367 on: 3 Mar 2010, 05:19 pm »
............................I will be more then happy to refund your purchase of the DAC.

Kindest Regards,
 Bill O'Connell

What great customer service that is, Bill.   :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #368 on: 3 Mar 2010, 08:38 pm »
I am going to try a TOSlink to Coax adapter box first.  I want to keep the DAC, but I want it to work with the AEX as well.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #369 on: 3 Mar 2010, 08:49 pm »
I have a New Airport Extreme. So far I have been using the oppo BD 83 and Bd83SE as a source and comparing them to the DAC. I am now wondering if I too will have a problem.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #370 on: 4 Mar 2010, 04:38 am »
I just sent my AEX-G to someone in the mail last week. I'll see if someone at work has one.

sfox7076

« Reply #371 on: 4 Mar 2010, 01:36 pm »
I have the AEX-N, so I guess that is my issue too.  Any progress Bill? 

Shawn

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #372 on: 4 Mar 2010, 03:59 pm »
Hi Shawn,

I just don't see in the near future a fix using the Apple Airport Ex-N. I know Alex and his engineers are looking into it but I'm highly doubtful they will find a cure for the high rate of jitter that the Apple EX-N seems to put out thru its optical. It will take more then 24 hours to try and figure out what the AAEX does.
 One of the great things about the EE DAC and incorporating the ESS9018 chip is its jitterless application.

I will be more then happy to refund your purchase of the DAC.

Kindest Regards,
 Bill O'Connell

PS; please look in your message box here at AC also

Gopher

« Reply #373 on: 4 Mar 2010, 04:31 pm »
I've seen those monarchy dips go as cheap as $100 used.  I'd probably be more inclined to try that route than the tosh to coax box you were contemplating. 

I imagine actually lowering the jitter to an acceptable degree would result in better sound quality.  If its a no go, I can't imagine you'd lose money reselling it.

srb

« Reply #374 on: 4 Mar 2010, 04:45 pm »
Since Bill has repeated himself (!) (Bill - when you find for some reason your reply is erroneously contained within the quote, like your previous post above, you can simply edit it so that the ending (/quote) tag is at the end of the quote and not at the end of your reply).

To repeat myself - If someone who has the EE Minimax DAC could test it with an Airport Express - G (A1084) and verify it works, we could possibly get beyond this problem.

I am purchasing one right now for $25 shipped.  Unfortunately I don't have the EE DAC, but I'm trying to solve my problem of distortion when using a Y-connector on the analog output.

Steve

Levi

« Reply #375 on: 5 Mar 2010, 05:22 am »
I received my EE DAC today and I thought a had a problem with the USB input.  I had to toggle from 48KHZ to 44.kHZ and back to 48KHZ in my MacBook Pro's Audio Midi Setup seems to have solve the problem.  I this normal?  I have to do this process everytime I powerdown the EE DAC.  It is still on the break-in period to soon to judge it's character.  So far so good.

Some pictures that I took:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #376 on: 5 Mar 2010, 05:44 am »
Levi,

Once you set your Macbook Pro to go thru the USB in the Midi Setup it should be good to go. Now if you use the optical out you will have to go to the Applications/Utilities/ Midi again and set the MAC up for the optical output, it's a pain in the butt to do if your trying to A/B the two as it takes about 30-45 seconds to change the configuration of the Macbook Pro unless your really quick.

Levi

« Reply #377 on: 5 Mar 2010, 05:47 am »
Thanks Bill. 

Levi

« Reply #378 on: 5 Mar 2010, 01:47 pm »
Is it true that the OP amps can be replaced? 

sfox7076

« Reply #379 on: 5 Mar 2010, 02:28 pm »
Yes, the Op Amps can be replaced.

I was talking to a person that deals with MACs and Airport Express generally.  I have a few things to play with this weekend.  The issue may be the way in which the newer AEX deals with sending the TOSlink signal generally and not really a jitter issue.  I will let you know what I find with my experimenting. 

Shawn