Dac 10 fuse

alfau7

Dac 10 fuse
« on: 22 Dec 2017, 08:53 pm »
Hello everyone, I would like some help please, I've been reading that replacing fuses improve the sound, so I wonder if somebody has tried it on the nuprime dac 10, would be great to know you experience and hear your recommended fuses.
Also I kindly ask for the specifications of the fuse on the dac 10,  mostly it size.
Thank you
Fausto

Genez

Re: Dac 10 fuse
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2017, 04:34 am »
Hi Fausto ...

Its printed right below the fuse holder on the case.  It takes a 2.5 amp slow blow fuse.   

I have tried several audiophile fuses with it.  I had to stop using the More Than A Fuse - fuse - because the bass it was producing was disturbing my apartment neighbor's wall.  It gave a very rich sounding presentation.  I then switched to a Hi-Fi Tuning Fuse Supreme that tamed it a bit.  Both sound very good.   I also tried the Synergistic Research Black fuse and it did not work well with my system.

Gene

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2017, 04:26 pm »
Any well designed DAC will be totally insensitive to the changes in the AC power line fuse.

Genez

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2017, 05:20 pm »
 Are you saying the DAC 10 is not well designed?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2017, 05:57 pm »
Just the opposite (I hope).

Genez

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2017, 04:05 am »
Just the opposite (I hope).

Well then?    Look at what you said...

Any well designed DAC will be totally insensitive to the changes in the AC power line fuse.

It is sensitive because its transparent!   

The better a component is the more evident a power cord and fuse change will make.  If you're playing with equipment  (speakers.. cables... amp)  that dulls and warms up the sound?  Then you will probably hear none to little difference.

In another forum one guy was nay saying fuses similar in manner to your approach.  When asked what he listens with?   He has Marantz equipment that he could never test an audiophile fuses with!   But he was sure we were imagining things!   

That is the fuse his equipment uses. He never could hear audiophile fuses to try them... but, judged with certainty without knowing anything! 

giordy60

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2017, 02:43 pm »
I did not know that audiophile fuses existed

Genez

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2017, 06:24 pm »
I did not know that audiophile fuses existed

Audio is about learning about one tweak that helps at a time...     

............................     https://positive-feedback.com/Issue74/fuses.htm

....................................... .....     http://singaporehifi.blogspot.com/2014/01/aftermarket-fuses-synergistic-research.html

alfau7

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2017, 03:54 am »
Thank you for your responses,  I just ordered the hifi tunning Supreme,  let's see how it goes,  I will report after some breaking and tests.
Also one Amr audiophile gold fuse for my amplifier.

Genez

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2018, 05:58 am »
Good choice...   The Hi Fi Supreme goes well with the DAC10.

Just remember after you have listened for a while to try the fuse in the other direction.   

Listen for a while to your favorite songs... and then try the fuse again in the opposite direction.  One should sound better to your ears.   

The fuse has a little arrow head printed on its black tube.  That will let you know which direction its sitting.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2018, 07:38 am »
The better a component is the more evident a power cord and fuse change will make.

I see what you are saying, but I think there are some other things worth noting...

In terms of raw power, electricity is a medium, as is water or air. But regardless of the medium, if it's tainted to begin with, that which consumes it will be affected by it. So if you were a criminal on death row facing the electric chair, it might not be a bad idea to insist on the grounds of compassion that the power be conditioned to the highest possible standard for a cleaner death. Seriously! But that's another discussion.  :lol:

The point here is if you're tapping from a dirty power source, you need a filter. Is that what boutique power cords are designed to do? Drinking tainted water or breathing in tainted air is not a good idea. Either one could make you very sick  or even kill you. The quality of electricity matters.

Many people prefer to listen late a night because that's when their system tends to sound best. The reason is there is a lot less activity and draw in the electrical grid, so the power is actually cleaner than it is by day. 

Getting back to power cords and fuses, I think it makes more sense to invest in cleaner power than boutique power cords. Fuses however are different in the sense they are designed to protect the electronics, not filter tainted power. Haven't tried one yet, but I'd like to try one in my DAC-10.  :thumb:

Genez

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2018, 08:30 am »
Maybe I never gave it a thought because I always had some sort of filter in use. Used to use a Furman. I resisted the idea until a friend who designs and mods told me about the benefits of power cords.   He is the same one who years ago recommended to me litz for speaker cables. That was an eye (ear) opener for me in itself.   When changing power cords I could hear them burning in and transforming.  I think it has several factors involved.  One is the power cords I use are triple shielded and use high internal quality wiring....  but the price is kept down.Even uses Cardas copper.   Pangea power cords found over at Audio Advisor (who also sells NuPrime).

I must admit...  fuses seemed like some audiophiles having more money than their own good, went looking for something new.  But, it turns out, they can truly transform the sound of a component.  And, the direction they are placed in the holder also changes the sound.  At least, on my system these tweaks are easy to discern. These tweaks are not for systems that are not highly resolving. They are intended for audiophile level systems.  I have also heard some components that has ordinary power cords that sounded quite good. But there is a clarity of sound that both fuses and power cords will effect in a positive way.

I have tried several brands of fuses, and they all lend their own signature sound. The typical glass fuses are generic crude devices never designed with audio in mind.  For example... Schurter electronics makes fuses.   But, they also make an audio fuse which is not very expensive.  I have some. It improves over the typical glass fuses we typically get in components. I still found the Hi Fi Tuning Supreme fuses a great match for NuPrime and NuForce equipment  They put a certain meat on the bones that sits just right.  The Pangea cords are inexpensive compared to the typical high price ones.... and are made *very* well.  I find that the NuPrime amps are so very efficient that they only need a very good source power cord.   

When I had my Furman power conditioner it had a meter to show amperage usage.   When I told Furman my reading when using my amplifier they thought maybe the Furman was defective!  You do not need big fat cords with Nuprime. I listen with an TDSS modded ST-10 with the following cable... I use the same cable on all my source components as well.  For what its worth... the designer modder I mentioned also discovered that power cords for reasons unknown sound better at at least two meters long. I was not to argue on that one... so instead of 500 dollars I bought a very good power cord for about 70 dollars. Cardas copper!   

Take a peek?    Pangea Power cords...   http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14S2&opt=3634
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2018, 06:00 pm by Genez »

alfau7

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2018, 01:30 am »
Just to let you know that I also bought a Furman 215a, it only has 2 ac outlets BUT allows to put different power cords,  so gives more flexibility to try different cables.
Also interesting to read that  power cords don't make to much difference on the dac 10, I made some test switching 2 different power cords between my amplifier,  CD player and the dac 10,  to resume the best power cord I left on the amplifier,  the Xlo ultra plus,  and my diy Furukawa occ cable on the CD player,  the dac 10 stays with a 16 awg regular cable because there was not too much difference.  I have to mention and recommend that I was very impressed the difference made by putting a high end power cord on the CD player,  I think the better current the lower jitter,  I don't know another reason for such an improvement.
I will report how much could help the Furman and the fuses.
Thanks again for your comments,  it's looks like the hifi tunning Supreme was a great choice.

alfau7

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2018, 03:32 pm »
Just to report,  the hifi tunning fuse do make a difference and it's worth the expense,  for what I noticed the mids,  low and high mids sounds better,  let's say more palpable,  real,  also cleaner.  As reference I tried it with the Xlo ultra plus u10 power cord.
Also the direction of the fuse makes a difference,  the fuse has something like an arrow it has to point up to get the best performance,  pointing down the image gets diffuse.

Genez

« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2018, 06:03 pm »
Just to report,  the hifi tunning fuse do make a difference and it's worth the expense,  for what I noticed the mids,  low and high mids sounds better,  let's say more palpable,  real,  also cleaner.  As reference I tried it with the Xlo ultra plus u10 power cord.
Also the direction of the fuse makes a difference,  the fuse has something like an arrow it has to point up to get the best performance,  pointing down the image gets diffuse.

Out of this fuse controversy we may discover that as color blindness was once discovered.....  so we are going to maybe discover a form of "sound blindness" that some people have which makes them unable to detect certain audio cues, but can hear sound otherwise just fine.  Its possible. For I find the improvement I get from Hi Fi Supreme tuning fuses to be undeniable... yet as some mock the idea.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2018, 08:30 pm »
I have yet to try one but with so many choices, how do go about choosing the right one?

Genez

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2018, 11:56 pm »
I tried spending less.  Well?   I found an instant improvement with a HPA9 using this economical audio fuse.  But, I would not recommend it for an amp.... And, the Hi Fi Supreme Black fuse sounds easily better.  Yet, it was an improvement over the generic glass fuse it came with.  For me, the improvement was like having an instant burning in of the unit.

The Schurter Audio fuse:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOPHILE-FUSE-5X20mm-Audio-Grade-GOLD-PLATED-/271356653809  There is no marker on them to determine direction,  so I marked one end of the tube with a little Magic Marker, so I can know which way its being situated.  For, if you ever drop the fuse when switching, that would prevent a bit of confusion as to how it should go.  I just mark down on a paper how the fuses are to go in my components, so when trying  something different I do not have to waste time experimenting again with what direction to use.

I find the safest bet are the Hi Fi Supreme Blacks.  20x20mm size for every Nuprime I have done this with.  Always enriches the sound I hear.

I found Chris at VH Audio to be excellent to work with.  https://www.vhaudio.com/hifi-tuning.html

joegator81

« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2018, 11:31 am »
I tried spending less.  Well?   I found an instant improvement with a HPA9 using this economical audio fuse.  But, I would not recommend it for an amp.... And, the Hi Fi Supreme Black fuse sounds easily better.  Yet, it was an improvement over the generic glass fuse it came with.  For me, the improvement was like having an instant burning in of the unit.

The Schurter Audio fuse:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOPHILE-FUSE-5X20mm-Audio-Grade-GOLD-PLATED-/271356653809  There is no marker on them to determine direction,  so I marked one end of the tube with a little Magic Marker, so I can know which way its being situated.  For, if you ever drop the fuse when switching, that would prevent a bit of confusion as to how it should go.  I just mark down on a paper how the fuses are to go in my components, so when trying  something different I do not have to waste time experimenting again with what direction to use.

I find the safest bet are the Hi Fi Supreme Blacks.  20x20mm size for every Nuprime I have done this with.  Always enriches the sound I hear.

I found Chris at VH Audio to be excellent to work with.  https://www.vhaudio.com/hifi-tuning.html

I think you meant to say the correct size of Hi-Fi supreme is 5x20mm, yes?

Genez

« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2018, 06:16 pm »

If you look in the wrong places the prices go up.

Try here https://www.vhaudio.com/hifi-tuning.html

Make sure you put in the right size and value.   For the DAC 10 it is:    5 x 20mm and T 2.5A (slow blow).