New Electrostatic Speaker

BruceSB

New Electrostatic Speaker
« on: 22 May 2019, 01:47 am »
Here is a new electrostatic speaker from Mellow Acoustics.
Looks very distinctive.
Seems to be a number of different finish options.
Assume a review will appear in due course.
Looks like it is pretty room friendly.
Here is the link: http://mellowacoustics.com/home.html
Enjoy.
Bruce

OzarkTom

Re: New Electrostatic Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2019, 12:42 pm »
I like the looks, but made in UK. :cry:

nickd

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2019, 02:02 pm »
Very interesting round driver up top. Would love to hear that.
5.25” woofer? That says a lot about the capability. Might be great in an apartment in Europe, but over here?
For me the kick of 12”- 18” woofers is required to keep me listening for any amount of time.
However, like all products, there are those for whom the Mellow will hit all their buttons.
Nice to see some new ideas from the Brits.  :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2019, 02:04 pm »
Very interesting!  Like the passive topology allowing your choice of amplifiers.

Response is relatively flat, but mid-band efficiency is quite low (84dB), meaning they will need some decent power (high current, actually).  They are limited to 98dB SPL max.  Impedance also goes low (<3Ω) at HF, meaning many amps would not do well with them.  I'm guessing a 60V Cherry STM would drive them nicely, maybe even the 48V version.  Has anyone here heard these speakers?

-Tommy O

dolsey01

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2019, 03:20 pm »
Reminds me of those vintage stand alone fireplaces.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2019, 04:34 pm »
Very interesting round driver up top. Would love to hear that.
5.25” woofer? That says a lot about the capability. Might be great in an apartment in Europe, but over here?
For me the kick of 12”- 18” woofers is required to keep me listening for any amount of time.
However, like all products, there are those for whom the Mellow will hit all their buttons.
Nice to see some new ideas from the Brits.  :D

In that case, it's Sub time (as they mention on their site). The built-in woofer would (as you say) be perfect for apt dwellers.
At any rate, it's nice to see a speaker that doesn't feel like yet another implementation of a design concept I've seen 1000x before.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2019, 02:46 am »
… 5.25” woofer?

We get decent bass out of a pair of 5.25” in Tysen V2, but loudness levels are limited and if you need the real low stuff you will need subs.

My view on the looks: Ugly.

dave

EkW

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2019, 04:16 am »
The AES paper on constant directivity electrostatic speakers is interesting. It shws that Mellows didn't simply decide to throw together a round electrostat just because he was tired of rectangles. I didn't like working with spherical Bessel functions 30 years but now programs such as Matlab, Mathematica, and MathCad make working with them less painful.
From the specs they seem that they would work best in smallish rooms with a sub. The figure eight radiation pattern should mean room placement similar to many open baffle designs.
I think that they look kind of space agey. A set of antennas on top of each would help.

DeeCee

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2019, 01:47 pm »
We get decent bass out of a pair of 5.25” in Tysen V2, but loudness levels are limited and if you need the real low stuff you will need subs.

My view on the looks: Ugly.

dave

Not thrilled with the looks but I guess I'd like them if I was George Jetson...

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2019, 12:53 am »
I can't imagine their smallish driving area would give much slam but I love the aesthetics. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2019, 07:29 am »
My opinion: I would think the bass could sound nice with that small a driver in that large a cabinet will very non-parallel walls, but not be capable of levels that would satisfy many—also would seem to promise a small return for the amount of floor space consumed.

I'm also skeptical about the choice of a round shape for the electrostatic membrane since I think that would give rise to the strongest and most pitch-specific resonances. Maybe the triangular shape should have been employed for the electrostatic element for this reason, although it would be difficult to design that not to look weird, but it would minimize resonant modes in the diaphragm.

The triangular shape is being used to good effect in some microphones these days, e.g.,  https://ehrlund.se/

iFi David

• Industry Contributor
  • iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2019, 09:02 pm »
I can't imagine their smallish driving area would give much slam but I love the aesthetics.

Yup, pleasing to the eye for sure, but that 5,25' bass driver a bit small, ain't it?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jul 2019, 10:57 pm »
Yup, pleasing to the eye for sure, but that 5,25' bass driver a bit small, ain't it?

2 of them can be quite satisfying… Russell want to borrow them?

dave

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2019, 05:19 am »
2 of them can be quite satisfying… Russell want to borrow them?

dave
Thanks for the offer, but I am in the process of extracting myself from passive speakers at the moment, and to that end am selling a pair of Yamaha NS1000s along with their companion amp, a Yam B-2, in favour of these (very active):
http://www.hedd.audio/en/studio-monitors/type20/
which should be here soon.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2019, 06:01 am »
The Hedd’s are supposed to be very good.

dave

BruceSB

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2019, 11:03 pm »
Here is a review.
Here is the link.
https://hifipig.com/mellow-acoustics-frontro-loudspeakers/
Gives the price as 7,500 UK pounds.
Enjoy.
Bruce

BruceSB

« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2019, 01:18 am »
Just a couple of comments.
I actually like the look of these.
Must admit that I am sick and tired of the endless box speakers, and, even with electrostats it is great to see someone thinking outside the box!!
I am completely non surprised about the base lightness of these speakers but it is good to see that the designer realised this and did not try to extract some extra base and make things worse (everything below 40hz is filtered out).
The review indicates that that the manufacturer is working on some subs for these speakers and I am sure that is the way to go.
So pleased that new electrostats just keep popping up.
And, finally I am not at all surprised that they sounded good - would not have expected anything else.
Bruce

BruceSB

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2020, 03:46 am »
Another update.
Some reviews are now out so I thought I would post some links.
https://www.luxurylifestylemag.co.uk/gadgets/are-these-the-worlds-most-luxurious-electrostatic-speakers-ever-made/
This next review is extremely brief, but here it is anyway.
https://www.upscalelivingmag.com/frontro-the-new-9000-electrostatic-loudspeaker/
The reviews give the UK & US pricing also.
Nice to see that the 'planar field' is wider than one might think at first glance!
Think this speaker would suit music lovers who live in small apartments and appreciate some style.
They have also improved their website in the last year or so.
Enjoy the variety.
Bruce

BruceSB

« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2020, 02:05 am »
You know, as I have drawn attention to this new electrostatic speaker company and their speaker,
There has been a thought niggling away in the back of my mind.
Actually make that a couple of thoughts!
This guy, Mr Mellow, is obviously an electrostatic speaker enthusiast who has been able to turn his passion and his hobby into a business.
That is great.
I deeply admire someone who follows their dream.
Two of my three children have done just that - so good!
Come to think of it that is most of the electrostatic speaker companies!!!
But, I am sure that no one needs me to list them because we all know who they are!
And now I come to my question.
My question relates specifically to Jazzman.
I have always admired you from a distance, electrostatic speaker expert, great guy, humble, helpful, producer of great speakers - but I don't want to embarrass you with too much praise!!
So I wonder Jazzman, have you ever considered following in the footsteps of some of the electrostatic speaker greats and setting up your own company?
I am sure that you could make a real go of it.
So, Jazzman what do you think of this?
What are your thoughts?
I am very interested in your response.
Thanks.
Bruce

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2020, 12:15 pm »
Is there any mention if Tim Mellow is attempting to recreate the circular point source concept of the Quad ESL 57?
BPT