Linear tube audio

jmolsberg

Linear tube audio
« on: 20 May 2019, 07:23 pm »
Is anyone using the LTA z10 mk2 amplifier with omegas? Currently I run an LTA MZ2-s pre into decware zen and it is pretty damn blissful. I loaned the decware to my buddy and my omega 3xrs HO's have been quite Impressive with the LTA pre and it's one watt! To my ears, the LTA offers a purity and realism the decware just can't match. The noise floor is just so low.... While one watt is Devine I would love more headroom. I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences with the LTA amps and omegas.

doggie

Re: Linear tube audio
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2019, 12:07 pm »
I have a pair of Super Alnico High Output XRS tower speakers. Over the past two years I have moved from an LTA MZ2 + Z10 amp to the LTA Preamp + Ultralinear amp.

Although using the MZ2 certainly can work as a speaker amp you will want very efficient speakers in as close to a near-field setup as you can manage in order to get the best from them. The MZ2 + Z10 is a very big step up. Much more power on tap and all around better sound.

The LTA Pre + Ultralinear is an end game setup. Remarkable clarity, tone, and layered soundstage. Large orchestral pieces and massed choral voices are moving and realistic. I do realize that one would certainly look for excellent sound at that price point :-)

I still keep my original MZ2 for headphone listening. It sounds great.

BTW. LTA now has an integrated amp that basically combines a Berning designed preamp, the Z10, remote control with an updated case. I heard it at the LTA store near DC. It is a great sounding compact solution. It would be perfect for a pair of Omegas.

jmolsberg

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2019, 02:24 pm »
Thanks doggie. Mark recommended the z10 with the newly improved power supply amp since I have the MZ2. He did mention the ultralinear is the end all end too. It will not be easy but I will exercise some patience while enjoying the MZ2 and 3xrs HO sound!

Jorge

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2019, 04:10 pm »
Hi,

I do enjoy a pair of HO XRS with ZtOl10 + MZ2. I have also a Leben 300xs with a pair of CAM. LTA brings clarity silent and very natural sound. Ideal with Omegas, honestly.

jmolsberg

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2019, 05:23 pm »
Thank you Jorge. The little taste of what the MZ2s provides with the omegas is just incredible. Your speakers are gorgeous 😊

unitygain

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2019, 08:00 pm »
jmolesberg, aside from "less forward," how would you say the Ultralinear stacks up with the Z10s on your Omegas?

I am running a pre-production Ultralinear (with internal stepped resistor volume control) direct from my DAC into my O/93s right now. It sounds FANTASTIC but I am deliberating getting the new Z10 integrated because of the possible impedance mismatch.

Finding it hard to choose between Ultralinear / Passive Pre & Z10 / Active Pre.

Any insights appreciated!!

I guess if I like the Ultralinear / Passive combo better, I might then spring for the ZM3 for it.

THANKS!