bi-amping DDA-100's

Morelia

bi-amping DDA-100's
« on: 3 Jul 2014, 05:18 pm »
Hi all.

Can this be done? Please forgive me if this is a stupid question; I'm not too knowledgable on the ins and outs of audio systems.

With all the amazing reviews I've been reading about the DDA-100, I'm pretty much set on it being my first foray into quality audio... previously I've only ever used second-hand AV receivers.

But like some, I'm worried about the ability to crank it. My speakers are 89dB sensitive. I'll probably upgrade them at some point.

But if I found I needed more power I could buy a second unit...

My question is, can a pair of DDA-100's be bi-amped? My thought was to run an optical cable through a splitter so the signal reaches them both evenly (not sure whether there'd be a data-delay daisy-chaining them with the toslink-out port)
And then I guess to a pair of bi-ampable speakers with one amp running the highs and the other running the lows. Theoretically this would result in a marked increase in power while maintaining the awesome NuForce digital-only sound, and for just a little over $1k. If workable, this option sounds way more appealing than picking up the NAD D7050 which (i think it's direct digital?) seems to be the only similar unit in the price point.

Can anyone see any glaring issues? Am I crazy?

John Casler

Re: bi-amping DDA-100's
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2014, 05:13 pm »
Hi all.

Can this be done? Please forgive me if this is a stupid question; I'm not too knowledgable on the ins and outs of audio systems.

With all the amazing reviews I've been reading about the DDA-100, I'm pretty much set on it being my first foray into quality audio... previously I've only ever used second-hand AV receivers.

But like some, I'm worried about the ability to crank it. My speakers are 89dB sensitive. I'll probably upgrade them at some point.

But if I found I needed more power I could buy a second unit...

My question is, can a pair of DDA-100's be bi-amped? My thought was to run an optical cable through a splitter so the signal reaches them both evenly (not sure whether there'd be a data-delay daisy-chaining them with the toslink-out port)
And then I guess to a pair of bi-ampable speakers with one amp running the highs and the other running the lows. Theoretically this would result in a marked increase in power while maintaining the awesome NuForce digital-only sound, and for just a little over $1k. If workable, this option sounds way more appealing than picking up the NAD D7050 which (i think it's direct digital?) seems to be the only similar unit in the price point.

Can anyone see any glaring issues? Am I crazy?

Hmmmm. . .  Interesting premise.

Not sure why not, since the only area of concern would be "balance" of the volume controls when using the remote.  They may act exactly the same and work "in tandem". 

The good news is even if they did occasionally get out of sync, the read out on the front would tell you 100% what the volume setting was on each. so it could be balanced manually.

Keep in mind, that the DDA-120 is almost here.

Morelia

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2014, 04:14 am »
Thanks for your reply John.

I hadn't even considered the issue of keeping their levels even, but you're right; one remote should work evenly to both of them :)

I read your post about the DDA-120 just after posting my question. Gah! what to do? I may just have to wait and see what magic NuForce have weaved with the new unit.

Thanks again. It's good to know the concept isn't fundamentally flawed.

nivs123

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2014, 09:55 am »
Hi, just to say, have done this, really simple - optical out to an optical in on your secondary amp, job's a good'un.
Am also using old kef 300b - LBF - Speakers (Q Acoustics Concept 20's) bi-amped - sweet as.

Roms

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2015, 01:33 pm »
Hi,

I'm also interested in bi-amping the DDA-100. nivs123, do you control the volume of both with a single remote?

Thx