Axpona 2011 Show reports

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Axpona 2011 Show reports
« on: 15 Apr 2011, 02:20 am »
Got to Axpona today.   Met up with Songbird and did some looking around.  Met up with Danny, The Carnegie Acoustics folks, PI Audio Group, Mach2 Mini folks and got a great listening session.

I am posting this pic for Dave Elledge from Darrell in the room of the new diffusors that look sweet with the Carnegie Acoustics speakers!

TrungT

Re: Axpona 2011 Show reports
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2011, 02:54 am »
HAL
Thank you  :thumb:
More picture please.  :wink:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:16 am »
Trung,
Have the wife's Canon with me and will take pics tomorrow.   

Now to see if folks can use my SSD drive to play music!  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:17 am »
Got to Axpona today.   Met up with Songbird and did some looking around.  Met up with Danny, The Carnegie Acoustics folks, PI Audio Group, Mach2 Mini folks and got a great listening session.

I am posting this pic for Dave Elledge from Darrell in the room of the new diffusors that look sweet with the Carnegie Acoustics speakers!

Thanks for the post, Rich.  I couldn't get the new, improved Internet Explorer 9 to get along with the AC software so I could post the picture.  I think I'll go back to 8 until 9 is debugged.

Remember, folks: these diffusers are for sale at the end of the show so Danny doesn't have to haul them back.  PM me for pricing.

Wish I was there... :cry:

Dave

TrungT

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:23 am »
Dave
LSAF just right around the corner  :wink:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:45 am »
Dave,
Glad to help!  Wish you were here as well.

Had a great time talking to Danny, and all the other folks in the room!  More fun over the next few day's.  WOOHOO!  :thumb:

enjoythemusic

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:48 am »
Look forward to seeing everyone at the show. i just posted today's coverage at www.enjoythemusic.com/axpona_2011/ . Will be posting daily through Sunday of course and, well, if ya want, i am doing a few seminars too so come harass me ;)

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2011, 03:11 am »
Dave
LSAF just right around the corner  :wink:
I know.  I'm pretty sure I'll be there  8)

BTW - I just saw your machined part in an email... Veerrry cool   :thumb:

Dave

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:23 am »
So the question is did Denny (daygloworange) make those speakers? It looks like his work.

BTW - The diffusers look great Dave, may have to talk to you about using them at this years RMAF :eyebrows:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:30 am »
So the question is did Denny (daygloworange) make those speakers? It looks like his work.

BTW - The diffusers look great Dave, may have to talk to you about using them at this years RMAF :eyebrows:
Thanks, Joe.  From what I understand the room sounds very good.  We've got stuff all over the room, but Greg and I are here in Albuquerque.  If someone could just email me a gallon of show sound, that'll work!!! :thumb:

Dave

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:50 am »
Dave,

Any bass traps in the works or already developed? I need to get the bass under control now that our custom power supply is driving the King Sound electrostats. Unbelievable bass but it's over powering the room now and I have to get it under control.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2011, 02:56 pm »
Dave,

Any bass traps in the works or already developed? I need to get the bass under control now that our custom power supply is driving the King Sound electrostats. Unbelievable bass but it's over powering the room now and I have to get it under control.
Joe,

Here is a great place to start:  http://web.archive.org/web/20010803052829/www.headphone.com/EditorialHeadroom/RoomTubes.asp
They are F-U-G-L-Y, but they work great.  There are ways to camoflage them or you can play on the art deco look.

I will be putting some info on my Circle this week about room treatment and bass is where it will begin.

We are considering bass traps, but don't want to simply recycle what is already available.  I have a couple of ideas, but getting the cost to a point that is acceptable is proving to be a challenge  :scratch:

Dave

shadowlight

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2011, 03:26 pm »
Rich,

What are those speakers?  Do not see it listed on Carnegie Acoustics website.

rockadanny

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2011, 07:56 pm »
This was my first audio show. I had a great time. Good thing I skipped work Friday as I had many rooms all to myself. I was quite the front-row-center hog for the day. :green: I am not in the market for any new equipment right now, but am always checking out what is out there in case I find something I prefer better than what I currently have. Then I'd be in the market :eyebrows:
Favorite large speaker rooms, ones I'd GLADLY own had I the means:
Classic Audio Loudspeakers T-3.4 Project - driven by Atmasphere MA1.5 amps;
Adam Speakers Tensor Beta -driven by Accuphase, though the woofers were self-powered;
Legacy Whisper HD (or XD?) - driven by Coda amps.
Favorite monitor speaker rooms, ones I'd own were I to move to a smaller room:
Merlin TSM - driven by ?, but more importantly (says the DCCA manufacturer/engineer), wired with DCCA cables all around.
Soundsmith Monarch - biggest sounding small speakers I've ever heard.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 17 Apr 2011, 04:04 am »
Rich,

What are those speakers?  Do not see it listed on Carnegie Acoustics website.
Deepak,
They are the new Carnegie Acoustics CST-2 speakers that Danny designed.  They sound really good in the room!  He has four servo subs with them. 

The folks from Light Harmonic brought the brand new Da Vinci 24bit/384KHz DAC from their room to the Carnegie Acoustics room on Saturday evening to run with the setup.  It sounded really good on the system with the CST-2's!

Will try to post some more pics, but the dark rooms are not easy to photograph with this Canon.

Another fun day at the show!

Audioclyde

« Reply #15 on: 17 Apr 2011, 12:07 pm »
I got to spend a couple of hours at Axpona Friday afternoon--my first show, so as noted elsewhere it was a bit overwhelming and I didn't see one-third of what I would have liked to see.  The very best part for me was getting to meet, visit with and share our enthusiasm with Dannie, Rich, Kevin & Darrell from Mach2, and others!

The Carnegie Acoustics room, with an incredibly noise floor sounded great. I also sat next to John Atkinson as the DaVinci DAC ran thru its paces. It certainly was impressive. I also really enjoyed a visit to a small room powered by the 845 integrated from Triode Electronics. Recently have moved to a Mastersound 845 amp and really like this tube. Any SET fans considering an 845 should take a look at the Triode amp--it's beautiful & was making beautiful music as well.

Enjoyed a visit to the MBL room, very impressive but of couse with a high price tag too.  Saw a number of high end rooms, including a room with some electrostats I was not familiar with (King?  I can't remember for sure--very impressive and larger sweet spot than most stats in my experience), being powered by VAC tube amps & pres.  Very impressive.

Just a great time and a pleaure to meet some of the AC guys--thanks gentlemen!

Randy

johzel

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2011, 12:47 pm »
Look forward to seeing everyone at the show. i just posted today's coverage at www.enjoythemusic.com/axpona_2011/ . Will be posting daily through Sunday of course and, well, if ya want, i am doing a few seminars too so come harass me ;)

Enjoyed the interview with Robert Lee  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2011, 02:51 am »
Randy,
It was great to meet you as well!

Had a great time at the show the last day as it was slower and I could go back to a few rooms and spend some time listening.  The MBL room sounded very good this time.  Probably the best I have ever heard them. 

The Scaena room with their line array's also sounded very good.  I would put the Super-V's or LS-9's up against them any day!  :D

Will post some other pictures when I am home.  Steve probably already has similar ones at his website. 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2011, 04:37 am »
So the question is did Denny (daygloworange) make those speakers? It looks like his work

Nope. He had nothing to do with them.

I am still waiting for him to ship me flat packs that he cut in Nov. 2009.  :duh: