New Sensation M901 finally here, burning it in...

PSB Guy

Re: New Sensation M901 finally here, burning it in...
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2010, 02:48 pm »
The PSB Image B5s I use are rated at around 88dB. With my One, I rarely went past ten o'clock, but the Sensation has the same volume level at around twelve, for what it's worth.

Light-Echo

« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2010, 05:56 pm »
Any opinions on the best way, or some good ways to burn this amp in?
It would seem intuitive that you actually need to run it through the speakers. At what volume level then?
I bought one of Stereophiles test cd where there are several tracks that just have tone variations and apparently this is good?
I assume as long as it's not getting very hot that I can run it 24/7 (circumstances permitting. You know. The wife)

Regards
Dave

srb

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2010, 06:34 pm »
Any opinions on the best way, or some good ways to burn this amp in?
It would seem intuitive that you actually need to run it through the speakers. At what volume level then?
I bought one of Stereophiles test cd where there are several tracks that just have tone variations and apparently this is good?
I assume as long as it's not getting very hot that I can run it 24/7 (circumstances permitting. You know. The wife)

Yes, you can run your test CD through it 24/7.  You don't have to turn it up real loud, but I wouldn't use real low volume either.  Many hook up one speaker out of phase and place the speakers face to face (with some space between them!) which results in sound cancellation and a much lower audible volume.

Steve

Light-Echo

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2010, 08:06 pm »
Also, wouldn't just a 4-8 ohm resistor work as well?
I'd obviously like to use my speakers but they aren't built quite yet.

Regards
Dave

Occam

« Reply #24 on: 27 Mar 2010, 08:12 pm »
That is one lovely looking component. Well done!

-Paul

srb

« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2010, 08:16 pm »
Also, wouldn't just a 4-8 ohm resistor work as well?
I'd obviously like to use my speakers but they aren't built quite yet.

Sure, as long as they are power resistors of sufficient wattage rating to be able to dissipate the heat.  Maybe something like these 8-Ohm 20W resistors: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062288

You would want to make sure that you don't overdrive them and cause them to burn up.

Steve

classicjt2

« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2010, 02:07 am »
Power resistors are just the ticket to break in amplifiers without annoying spouses or neighbors. You don't have to run them at high levels. I use the XLO break in track (#9 I think) set on infinite repeat. Since I ran them through the speakers instead of resistors [my speaker cables reputedly takes close to 1000 hours to break in (!)], I just ran sound (sometimes the XLO disc, sometimes real music) at low volumes. I think the Sensation may take over 100 hours to break in and sweeten up, but when it does, it's worth it.

James

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #27 on: 28 Mar 2010, 08:31 am »
You can always run resistors in parallel to get a higher (and therefore safer) rating. Here is what I use (the values combine to make 8 ohms). Just make sure that you don't get any shorts!

oskar

« Reply #28 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:37 pm »
Getting back to listening impressions.... my impression is that the Sensation is on a rollercoaster. I'm trying to discern whether it's the particular cd thats spinning or my ear-brain (spinning). i'd say there's 20+ hrs now. Maybe I'm trying too much to listen to the amp. Some cd's sound VERY good; others not as much. It all sounds different for sure. I think it has something to do with expectations. I assumed I'd be hearing this or that differently from what I was used to. Hell that's why I bought it. Maybe what I'll do is pretend that I don't have a beautiful new amp and just throw on the tunes as always and see what hits me.

PSB Guy

« Reply #29 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:50 pm »
I think it's just natural when you get a shiny new piece of gear for it to drive you a bit bonkers for a while. You stop listening to the music and start listening to the gear, which loses the point of the exercise. We are all guilty of it from time to time to varying degrees, aren't we? I guess it's just part of the hobby.
That being said, here I go on again about the gear...I was using a Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer with my One, I thought it helped "soften" the sound, for lack of a better term. When I got the 901, I took it out of the chain, and I haven't looked back. Albums that used to sound harsh to me through the One without the buffer (John Hiatt's "Bring The Family" comes to mind), no longer do through the Senation. This amp is a different animal altogether, make no mistakes...
Finally, 20+ hours is still early, especially for this amp. With 200+ hours needed for break-in, you've got quite a while to go, enjoy the ride.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #30 on: 28 Mar 2010, 04:31 pm »
Gentlemen.  If you don't want the roller-coaster let the amp burn-in.  Auricaps are NOTORIOUS and the VirtuCaps half as bad.

PSB Guy

« Reply #31 on: 28 Mar 2010, 04:59 pm »
Someone wise once told me regarding burn -in - "Just listen to your favourite music and enjoy the sound as it changes". Gonna go with that. Cheers all.

oskar

« Reply #32 on: 28 Mar 2010, 05:58 pm »
I remember when I bought the rs-6's. I was pretty excited having read so many positives. They were new and when I 1st hooked them up I had a small panic attack. I'd sold my sweet sounding Orbs because I wanted more resolution and I was done with surround. Well the resolution drove me out of the room. Literally. I thought 'what a dumb-ass! These are unbearable'. They sounded so aggressive and bright at normal listening levels I didn't know what to do. So I'd hit repeat on the player and let them go all day. Eventually and after buying good cable they settled down and now I'm happy. Personally I  don't have a single audiophile friend but when I get visits they all want to hear music. Then I started to think 'these speakers deserve better'. Enter Virtue. Now I'm re-tuning my ears to the virtuous sound. I'll be patient.
Zman, which came 1st your rs6 or the Virtue? What made you think they'd be a good match?  And, what are those blocks you have them sitting on? What's your impression of the sound?

Light-Echo

« Reply #33 on: 28 Mar 2010, 07:48 pm »
srb   and NUUK

Back to the resistor trick burn in thing for a sec ... srb links to an 8ohm 20w resistor. Are resistors like batteries where you can put them in parallel for greater wattage but the same resistance, and in series to change their resistance?

Regards
Dave

srb

« Reply #34 on: 28 Mar 2010, 08:03 pm »
srb   and NUUK

Back to the resistor trick burn in thing for a sec ... srb links to an 8ohm 20w resistor. Are resistors like batteries where you can put them in parallel for greater wattage but the same resistance, and in series to change their resistance?

No, you would have to use a combination of resistors in both series and parallel to increase the wattage while maintaining the same resistance.

The power rating for resistors is additive, whether series or parallel.  The series resistance is also additive.  The parallel resistance is 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, etc.

2 - 8 ohm/20W resistors in parallel would be a 4 ohm/40W load.

2 - 8 ohm/20W resistors in series would be a 16 ohm/40W load.

4 - 8 ohm/20W resistors in series and parallel would be an 8 ohm/80W load.

Because you don't have to have an 8 ohm resistance, as your amplifier can acommodate a 4 ohm load, you could use 2 of the resistors in parallel on each channel, for a 4 ohm/40W load (but not 4 in parallel, as the resultant 2 ohm load would probably be too low.)  You could also use 2 resistors in series for a 16 ohm/40W load, which you might want to do on some lesser amplifiers that can't drive a 4 ohm load.

Steve

PSB Guy

« Reply #35 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:43 pm »
Got my JT Dynamic power supply today! Took almost a month, but it's HERE!  :dance:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:58 pm »
I swear about a third of my international shipments get sent to the moon first and then back  :scratch:

srb

« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:02 pm »
I swear about a third of my international shipments get sent to the moon first and then back  :scratch:

I know that if you send a FedEx package to someone across the street, it most likely will go through the main FedEx hub in Memphis, TN first.

Perhaps your international shipper has a main hub on the moon (or somewhere else out of the way it has to go through first?).

Steve

PSB Guy

« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:12 pm »
Not to worry, Jason, stuff happens, I don't care  :D. Just glad it's here safe and sound. It's a thing of beatuty, suits the Sensation very well.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #39 on: 31 Mar 2010, 05:20 pm »
I usually ship international via USPS flat rate box.
I have done a few via FedEx and they do seem to go a little faster once they have the paperwork right ... :x

Cornelis I'm glad you like it  :green: