The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers

HAL

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #40 on: 11 May 2016, 11:52 am »
Today is the next status meeting on The Megaliths baffle build.  Will be talking to the wood craftsman about status and see if I can pick them up.  Will have an SUV just in case they are completed. 

Then install the BG Neo10 drivers and wire them up to the amp modules.  Everything else is ready!

The 18 month project is getting close to operation!

HAL

« Reply #41 on: 11 May 2016, 07:54 pm »
Meet The Megaliths baffles in my favorite color scheme.  Built by a local Amish wood craftsman.

Next up installing the BG Neo10 drivers and wiring them to the amp modules.

HAL

« Reply #42 on: 11 May 2016, 09:20 pm »
Test fit of the 8 - BG Neo10 drivers in The Megaliths baffle.  Just have to modify the gasket to fit on the rear of the drivers to mount on the baffles.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #43 on: 11 May 2016, 10:46 pm »
Those look amazing.......can hardly wait for your critique.

HAL

« Reply #44 on: 12 May 2016, 11:19 am »
PDR,
Thanks.  Once I get them fully built, will do another write-up.

Today's task is making screw hole positions for the Neo10's and drilling 64 pilot holes for the square drive #4 wood screws.

HAL

« Reply #45 on: 13 May 2016, 09:31 am »
To do a better job of drilling pilot holes decided to get a drill guide.  Will still use the hand drill, but at least it will be vertical.

Should be here early nest week to start the 64 mounting holes for the BG Neo10's.

HAL

« Reply #46 on: 13 May 2016, 09:51 pm »
Went to Harbor Freight and picked up this drill guide for the 240 pilot holes for mounting the BG planars.

HAL

« Reply #47 on: 14 May 2016, 12:24 pm »
Will try a Big Gator Tools Mini V-Drilling guide with the angled drill guide to drill the 240 pilot holes for the BG planars in the baffles. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #48 on: 14 May 2016, 03:21 pm »
I thought of an observation/question for you:

The front baffles look to be fairly lightweight and not capable of supporting much weight. Will they securely hold all the drivers, and will they not tend to flex (or vibrate) during play? [I have no idea how heavy the PDR drivers are.]

Thanks,

Michael

P.S. The speakers are beginning to look pretty interesting.  :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #49 on: 14 May 2016, 03:31 pm »
Michael,
The weight of the drivers total is 28.6lbs.  Since there are 16 screws for the Neo10's and 44 screws for the Neo3-PDR's per side, the hope is that the steel planar housings will add the stiffness needed for the baffles to be rigid. 

I also plan to use a 10' piece of 0.5" copper pipe bent into a angle to attach to the frame to act like a foot and stiffener.  This should add to the stability of the baffle and add stiffening to the outside edge that does not have the wing and hinge for stiffening. 

I like the look.  Glad you find it interesting.

HAL

« Reply #50 on: 15 May 2016, 11:36 am »
Using Wolfram's Mathmatica on the Raspberry Pi 3, have the notebook working that calculates the time delays required for the dspMusik digital crossover for the BG Neo10 planar drivers. Will do another section in the code for the BG Neo3-PDR's.

The normal home PC version of Mathmatica is $249. The Raspberry Pi 3 is $35, SMPS is $8, The Raspian OS is free for download and $13 get you a 64GB MicroSDXC boot drive. Total cost is $56. That is a very good reason to me to get one.

Building the last 18 moded ChipAmp modules and 9 power supply PC boards as the toroidal power transformers should all be here Monday. Then start drilling holes in heatsinks to mount the amp modules to test them. Will be using the new drilling guide for these to get nice vertical holes!

HAL

« Reply #51 on: 16 May 2016, 07:17 pm »
The final batch of Avel toroidal power transformers arrived.  Time to build 12 more AC power supplies.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 17 May 2016, 01:47 am »
Rich,

I'm enjoying following your journey vicariously.

Mike

HAL

« Reply #53 on: 17 May 2016, 02:34 am »
Mike,
Glad you are enjoying the journey!  This is the fun part, before the fun part of listening to them.    :D

HAL

« Reply #54 on: 17 May 2016, 12:17 pm »
The drilling guides for the pilot holes all arrive Thursday.

Thinking about using a set of L brackets bolted to the drilling guide to have the 0.370" offset needed for drilling the Neo10 pilot holes.  This maybe simpler than the aluminum plate template.  Will have to see when it all arrives what will work.  Just need to get batteries for my calipers to do the measurements.

HAL

« Reply #55 on: 18 May 2016, 01:18 pm »
Took this out of the model building equipment.  Dremel Tool drill press.  This should work very well with the V-Mini drilling guide.

Everything should be here today and will see if I can start the Neo10 installs.

HAL

« Reply #56 on: 18 May 2016, 07:27 pm »
The mini drilling guide arrived today.  Got to get my digital calipers back and should be ready for some pilot hole drilling with the drill press.

HAL

« Reply #57 on: 19 May 2016, 12:13 pm »
Digital calipers located.  Also the V mini drilling guide and nail set.

Calipers need a new battery and then off to the measurements!

HAL

« Reply #58 on: 20 May 2016, 01:13 am »
New 357 battery installed and the calipers are working again! 

Now to set the drivers in the correct positions to start the measurement and marking process.

HAL

« Reply #59 on: 20 May 2016, 09:10 pm »
With the 8 - Neo10's in place, found the offset distance from top and bottom to center the planars in the slot.  Set and locked the calipers for that offset to use as a check during placement of the first driver for marking the holes. 

The 1/2" thick aluminum plates arrived to make the drilling template for the BG Neo10's and Neo3-PDR's.  If someone local can do the cutting, drilling and alignment marks for the drivers, will use those to do the pilot holes.  Check things 25 times before drilling the first hole.  Going to do it correctly the first time and try not to have to fill any holes and redrill with this finish.