"spitting" sound from Stratos Monos

drphoto

"spitting" sound from Stratos Monos
« on: 24 Sep 2007, 05:40 pm »
I have a Tempest driving original Stratos Monos (cap upgrade, but old circuitry) When the system is idling it makes a fairly low level 'spitting' noise. Actually sounds a little bit like one of those electric bug zappers. Not loud, and occurs maybe once a minute. There is also a low level 'hiss', but you have to be quite near the speaker to hear it.

Any thoughts? I thought maybe it was the cheap IC's I use on occasion to listen to DVD, but that's not it.

jgr757

Re: "spitting" sound from Stratos Monos
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2007, 08:13 pm »
I had a relatively loud hum and buzz coming out of one of my Mono Extreme Se's when I first got them.  I sent them both back for review and the repair of one.  Although the noisy amp was "fixed" (bad light on the turn on switch) when returned, I noticed that there is a low level hum from both.  I had to invest in a noise suppressor from the wall sockets.  This eliminated the problem but I feel that the units rectification / regulation from AC to DC is not as good as they should be at the high end.  I also had to pay shipping back to Indy to get them fixed. Klaus told me that the amplifiers are subject to these anomalies with a poor power source.  I would rather see beefed up cleaned up regulation.