PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Stack

Ragnar71

PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Stack
« on: 12 Jun 2019, 01:18 am »
I’m really new to this, the first time I’m venturing away. From an AVR. If I have the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Stack to power my Soatial Turbo M3s’ , could I just buy a Mac Mini and hook it up to the pre-amp to be able to stream from Tidal, Spotify , etc? Man I like some of these dedicated streamers I’ve seen but my budget will be nearly exhausted after buying the M3’s and PS Audio Stack. I watched a YouTube video from PS Sound talking about hooking up a Mac Mimi. Does anyone have any thoughts?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Stack
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2019, 10:07 am »
Your speakers are quite efficient.  While they can handle lots of power, it isn't needed for normal sized rooms and less than live rock concert sound pressure levels.  Some run the M3's on as little as 20 watts.

Why are you looking to move from a AVR?  (There are good reasons, just want to make sure you doing this for the right reasons.)

Yes any modern computer could stream Tidal or Spotify and store ripped CDs.  I use a headless (no monitor or keyboard) mini that is controlled by my MacBook Air (previously used the MacBook Air directly via a 10 ft USB cable).  A cheaper alternative is the look into a Nuc (many versions of a more flexible/DIY Windows version of a mini).

PS Audio is a standup company, but look for lower prices than MSRP.  You might also consider the PS Audio Sprout 100 ($599).  Don't dismiss it's sound quality based on small size and low price, it does nearly everything the Stellar Gain Cell Stack does for $2200 less. 

Might also look into NuPrime (they have a circle here).  Well respected by reviewers and have a loyal following here at AC.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2019, 11:24 am by JLM »

artur9

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2019, 12:42 pm »
I think getting a dedicated streamer might make more sense than getting a Mini.  I mean, I like Apple and all but it's still a computer with all the hassles that entails.

Something like a Muzo Cobblestone may be all you need.  Sadly, that specific thing is discontinued but something along those lines.

Shredder

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2019, 01:54 pm »
I found the Mini to be a good option in conjunction with a streamer. Using a streamer will definitely lower the noise floor. Good less expensive streamers include the Sonore Microrendu, Auralic Mini, and Bluesound Node. My guess is you will be able to find one used at a good price.