KotOR named Best of '03

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
KotOR named Best of '03
« on: 5 Jan 2004, 06:53 am »
TechTV's XPlay program named KotOR the best game of 2003.  I haven't played this one yet, although my brother does own it.  I may have to borrow it from him (I just bought an Xbox for my bedroom system-now I have DC, Xbox & P2 all in my room! :o ).

Prince of Persia was a 'runner up' that they also spoke very highly of.  I'd like to try that one too.

Lastly, their award for Best Graphics went to Crimson Skies:  The High Road to Revenge.  I did see a demo for that one that looked really cool.

Woodsea

KotOR named Best of '03
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2004, 05:38 pm »
The graphics are a toss up between The Prince and Crimson.  Both are gorgeous.  Crimson is a real quick game, but with Online it is sweet.  I am about 33% of the way through The Prince of Persia.  It rocks.  But nowhere near as engrossing as KoTOR.  I am waiting for the upcoming downloads of a new world and gear before playing as a Sith.

mcrespo71

KotOR named Best of '03
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2004, 07:59 pm »
KOTOR clearly deserved GOTY.  With the proliferation of ho hum shooters in videogames, it's nice to see a classic RPG win.  I may also add that, like Woodsea, I think PoP is a masterwork as well, though I think that I ultimately liked Legend of Zelda WW a bit more.

You have 2 Xboxes, Rob?  Dang!  Get a GCN!  You are missing out on some fabulous games(e.g., Metroid Prime, Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness,etc.).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
KotOR named Best of '03
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2004, 08:14 pm »
I had a 'Cube but I sold it.  Just didn't care much for the machine, controller or the games.  Now there are a couple I wouldn't mind having, mostly the new Star Wars one, but I dunno if I'll ever buy one again.

mcrespo71

KotOR named Best of '03
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2004, 10:19 pm »
I hear you on the controller for the GCN, though it does work extremely well for Nintendo first party titles.

If you already owned one and sold it, then I guess I understand not  buying one.  

What games did you have for the GCN?  I can't think of any system, aside from maybe the Atari Jaguar, that didn't have enough good games to warrant keeping it.  All 3 of the big ones (PS2, Xbox, and GCN) each have their own killer apps.  And don't get me started on the downfall of the DC, which I feel put out an astonishing number of awesome games in like a 1.5 year lifespan!  Too bad no one was paying attention.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
KotOR named Best of '03
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2004, 01:50 am »
Hey, I still love my DC! :)   I think even Soul Calibre 2 for the 'box can only claim to equal the DC original, maybe edge it graphically by a narrow margin.  There's lots of good ones for the DC- I can't believe they threw in the towel at the mere mention of the P2.  Sega was ahead of their time, but they shoulda waited another 8 mos to 1 yr so they could've incorporated DVD, etc.  Oh, well.

I only ever had a couple games for the Cube.  I bought it to play Resident Evil, but that one blew chunks unfortunately.  My favorite game franchise brought to GameCube ruin! :x   What horrible f'in control!  That wasn't ever a strong suit of RE, anyway, and it was unbearable on the 'cube.

Still, I would like to be able to play Rogue Squadron, so someday I may relent and give it one more shot.  They're pretty cheap now, after all.

mcrespo71

KotOR named Best of '03
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2004, 04:59 am »
Too bad you didn't try Metroid Prime or Zelda WW- they were great games.  The RE games control poorly whenever I've tried them- I didn't notice that the control scheme was that different then when I played it on DC.  

Rogue Squadron is a fun game, but I've never tried the new one.