NX-Studio Build *** No Clamps or Shop **** Shear

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: NX-Studio Build *** No Clamps or Shop **** Shear
« Reply #40 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:21 am »
It's almost a shame to cover it with norez.

mikeeastman

« Reply #41 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:26 am »
Why is there no by-pass cap on the woofer cap?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:38 am »
Why is there no by-pass cap on the woofer cap?
Probably because bypass caps are intended for high frequencies, and putting a highpass filter on the woofer circuit wouldn't do anything since the Inductor removes high frequencies. And the capacitor connects directly to ground, so it would just be a waste of money.

daveshear

« Reply #43 on: 1 Aug 2020, 11:12 am »
It's almost a shame to cover it with norez.

Tyson, yeah thats my thoughts exactly. Every time I take a look at the speakers I think I don't want to put a grill cover up top but then I realize I have to install the norez in there.

daveshear

« Reply #44 on: 1 Aug 2020, 11:59 am »
Tube Connectors: Danny sent me this for those who just want to confirm installation technique.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=94014.0

Also, drill bit size for the tube connector installed into the cabinet: 7/16", It is a common drill bit size.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2020, 01:43 pm by daveshear »

mikeeastman

« Reply #45 on: 1 Aug 2020, 12:07 pm »
Thanks Hobbsmeerkat, I thought it was something like that.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #46 on: 1 Aug 2020, 12:42 pm »
Here is the crossover with labels for the wiring. Danny confirmed this is good.

This is awesome, thank you!

daveshear

« Reply #47 on: 1 Aug 2020, 01:46 pm »
When Building the Crossover you need to be concerned about orientation of the coils.

Danny sent this:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #48 on: 1 Aug 2020, 01:51 pm »
@daveshear

In your picture of your crossover, what gets connected to the positive input in the upper left?

daveshear

« Reply #49 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:02 pm »
@daveshear

In your picture of your crossover, what gets connected to the positive input in the upper left?

Tomy2Tone, the "Inputs" are connected to your "Tube Connectors" which are connected to your amplifier

maty

« Reply #50 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:03 pm »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #51 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:15 pm »
Tomy2Tone, the "Inputs" are connected to your "Tube Connectors" which are connected to your amplifier

I see, so the positive input in upper left is for the positive speaker binding post  and lower right is for negative speaker binding post along with tweeter negative and woofer positive. Thanks!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:25 pm »
I see, so the positive input in upper left is for the positive speaker binding post  and lower right is for negative speaker binding post along with tweeter negative and woofer positive. Thanks!
Not quite, the input in the upper left feeds both the woofer and tweeter circuit, which breaks out to independent positives for each driver. Then the negative leads from the drivers connect to the negative ends of both the Woofer and tweeter circuit, and continues down to the tube connector or binding post.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #53 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:37 pm »
Not quite, the input in the upper left feeds both the woofer and tweeter circuit, which breaks out to independent positives for each driver. Then the negative leads from the drivers connect to the negative ends of both the Woofer and tweeter circuit, and continues down to the tube connector or binding post.

So the upper left should be labeled tube connector/binding post positive input along with woofer positive and tweeter positive?

daveshear

« Reply #54 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:53 pm »
So the upper left should be labeled tube connector/binding post positive input along with woofer positive and tweeter positive?

Tomy2Tone, Danny CONFIRMED my labeling. I think you are getting confused by the last comment.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #55 on: 1 Aug 2020, 02:53 pm »
No, the upper left connection is the input from the tube connection, which feeds the signal to both halves of the crossover circuit.
Upper right is the crossover output to the tweeter.
Bottom center between the large inductor & bottom sonic cap is the output to the woofer. Then the two connections in the lower right are connected to the negative leads of both drivers and then to the negative/return tube connector.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 1 Aug 2020, 03:12 pm »
Hopefully this will make more sense :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #57 on: 1 Aug 2020, 03:31 pm »
@Hobbsmeerkat

Thanks, I think that’s what I was trying to say originally. Then I probably misunderstood what you were trying to explain.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 1 Aug 2020, 03:34 pm »
You're welcome, glad I was able to better clarify my explanation :P

Argoncat

« Reply #59 on: 2 Aug 2020, 12:18 am »
The schematic I got with my sudio-kit shows the positive feed line from the tube connection connected to the negative terminal on the tweeter and the positive terminal on the woofer; with the two drivers appearing out of phase, if I were an electrical engineer and not a chemist I'd probably understand why there is phase shift though the network.  The edited picture by Hobbsmeerkat seems to suggest the drivers are in phase where Tomy2Tone's original text in white shows the phase matching the included wiring schematic.  Would be good to get clarity on phasing...