What is your go to Brahms?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
What is your go to Brahms?
« on: 5 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm »
Years, decades, scores....In a century long, long ago I studied piano and remember my teacher talking about the Three B's- Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms. No beginning student escapes Bach, intermediates study Beethoven, but I never got to Brahms. 
I just picked up a 1952 recording of Brahms double concerto for violin and cello on Westminster WL 5117.  I've heard it said that Bach represents the mind of God, Mozart the majesty of God, and Beethoven shows His power.  If so, then this piece by Brahms shows the mature reflection of the beauty of God.  This is not especially one of his more celebrated composition, but encourage you to find a copy and listen to the last movement. 
What Brahms speaks to you? 

loki1957

Re: What is your go to Brahms?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:08 am »
His Requiem

rotarius

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:21 am »
Sonata for cello & piano, Op.38
Symphony No. 4

THROWBACK

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:24 am »
Gosh. Hard to pick just one. As a poor but mediocre pianist I find myself drawn to that part of his output, especially his B-min Rhapsody, which I was able to manage in pretty-OK fashion once upon a time. Try his 2nd Piano Concerto as well--Rubinstein or Van Cliburn. I agree about the Double Concerto: you might try the Heifetz/Piatagorski version. Requiem also. The 1st Piano Quartet is also wonderful, particularly the andante movement which may be really a love song for Clara Schumann.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2014, 01:59 am »
String Quartets performed by the Cleveland Quartet.
Brahms Symphonies performed by the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by George Szell
Brahms Sonatas in Eb Major (Number 2) and f Minor (Number 1)  performed by Martin Frost

Regards,

Randy

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2014, 02:03 am »
His Requiem

+1.  I've played most of Brahms' orchestral music and have to admit that I have a hard time 'connecting' with him; I've always felt there's something missing in much of his music.  But not with the requiem.  It's musical perfection!

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2014, 02:05 am »
Ein Deutsches Requiem. In the Klemperer version, of course, though, as in all of his music that I enjoy, I have multiple recordings.

The Double Concerto. Favorite recording: Schneiderhan, Starker, Fricsay on DG

Violin Concerto. Oistrakh, Klemperer on EMI.

I also enjoy all of his symphonies and chamber music.

sounddog

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2014, 03:11 am »
The 1st piano concerto. I first heard it with my wife when we were dating, so in part it is a sentimental favorite, but it is beautiful and compelling.

sbrown

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2014, 04:50 am »
I enjoy all of what he wrote with the exception of the string quartets.  Some of the highlights for me are as follows:  the violin sonatas, the 1st Piano Concerto (Curzon/Szell), the 1st Symphony (Furtwangler), Ein Deutsches Requiem (Klemperer), the Piano Quartets (Festival Quartet), Alto Rhapsody (Klemperer/Ludwig) and lastly Four Serious Songs (Baker).      Scott

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2014, 05:11 am »
For me it's the 2nd piano concerto - the famous Gilels/Jochum recording is probably my favorite recording of anything.

Pycroft

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2014, 12:31 pm »
I am a choral musician, so I may be biased, but I agree with those that have said his German Requiem. I have performed it many times as a singer, and it stands in my top 3 favorite pieces to perform. My favorite recording is Chicago Symphony and under James Levine. The slow, methodical pacing of the second movement is SO difficult and tension filled. The piece also includes some of the coolest fugual passages. Soprano solo is just stunning. I believe it was not originally a part of the final score, and someone suggested the Requiem needed another movement. I also believe it was dedicated to his mother.

Not far behind are Brahms four symphonies. He spent his whole life writing music, and only came up with 4 - because he was a perfectionist and spent many hours on them. The fourth is my favorite.

James

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2014, 05:45 pm »
Pycroft, great post!  I agree the requiem is great and very hard to pull off.  Luckily, you can get a GREAT recording of it by Tennstedt along in the Jochum set of Brahms symphony recordings with the London Symphony on EMI.

Randy

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2014, 07:21 pm »
The horn trio is my favorite Brahms, closely followed by the first sonata for violin and piano.  The first movement's "big tune" never fails to bring on the chill factor for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tsmd6bVKec

steve in jersey

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2014, 03:30 pm »
The Violin sonata#1 in G major

(When I went to reply to this posting , the warning box' came up stating "This topic has not
been replied to for over 30 day" ; Gee , I hope I'm not that only person left still listening to
Brahms. If that's the case I better get as much Brahms as I can find ASAP)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2014, 04:49 pm »

(When I went to reply to this posting , the warning box' came up stating "This topic has not
been replied to for over 30 day" ; Gee , I hope I'm not that only person left still listening to
Brahms. If that's the case I better get as much Brahms as I can find ASAP)
Thanks for this.  I just listened on Youtube to a version with Barenboim and Zucherman.  Stunning.  I'm now searching for a copy.

Randy

« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2014, 05:36 pm »

That's what I said.   :)

richidoo

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2014, 07:51 pm »
My favorite Brahms Violin Concerto is Rachel Barton Pines' version on Cedille Records.

steve in jersey

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2014, 08:26 pm »

That's what I said.   :)

You actually said this only "closely followed" your "go to" choice (& not being that intrigued by the Horn concerto I did'nt read that far.) (Oops, my bad :D)

You mean I have to pay attention now ? The next thing you know is they'll be asking me to take a "Reading
Comprehension" test or I'm booted out of here !

Randy

« Reply #18 on: 27 Mar 2014, 10:04 pm »
You actually said this only "closely followed" your "go to" choice (& not being that intrigued by the Horn concerto I did'nt read that far.) (Oops, my bad :D)

You mean I have to pay attention now ? The next thing you know is they'll be asking me to take a "Reading
Comprehension" test or I'm booted out of here !

Not a problem, but more importantly, your dismissal of the Op. 40 Horn Trio (trio for piano, violin, and horn, not a concerto) is misguided.  It is really one of Brahms's greatest works. You are missing out if you don't know it or only know it slightly.

Randy

steve in jersey

« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2014, 01:24 am »
See I told you I had reading comprehension problems. I do in fact like this Trio.

Don't know where I came up with Concerto As a whole Concertos other than string instruments or piano,
conceptually, very rarely work for me.