Perfect recordings

Russell Dawkins

Re: Perfect recordings
« Reply #20 on: 2 Mar 2015, 07:33 am »
Usually Proprius recorded analogue tape at only 15ips, not 30 as Sheffield and AudioQuestMusic (Joe Harley);
15 ips is preferred to 30 ips by many tape buffs for reasons to do with the quality of the bass, as I understand it.  :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2015, 11:28 am »
Doesn't matter what tape speed.  Still sounds amazing.
I have some Proprius SACDs w/solo organ works and it dont sound amazing, yet have alot of tape his.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2015, 11:30 am »
15 ips is preferred to 30 ips by many tape buffs for reasons to do with the quality of the bass, as I understand it.  :scratch:
I would like to hear more about it, very eccentric feature.

steve in jersey

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2015, 02:59 pm »

I think this has more to do with the particular tape recorder you happen to be using as the Tandberg,Revox,Amperex(sp?), etc..
machines & when the different machines were made . (& how well calibrated the deck is; this is as important as anything)

I don't know how it is now, but I don't think, other than Commercial tape decks, that 30ips consumer decks were widely available, but
that's not to say that some decks aren't as capable at 15ips  (you'd be surprised at how good some music sounds at even 7 & a half ips)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2015, 05:23 pm »
On reflection, I think it may be associated with the fact that tape saturation is the mystery element. Any machine capable of both 15 and 30ips will saturate more readily, or at a lower level at 15 ips than 30. Saturation produces a specific kind of compression in the signal which is interpreted as thickening or fattening it, both broadly desirable in certain types of music. This I think, explains the occasional use of the tape deck in mastering, i.e., a digital signal is put through the analog tape record/replay cycle for this effect. In a similar vein, while in the analog domain, sometimes the signal is sent through a tube buffer or another device which emulates one.