"Rite of Spring" recommendation?

dB Cooper

"Rite of Spring" recommendation?
« on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:02 am »
Not too much of a classical listener on an orchestral scale (I do like chamber music.) Recently had my curiosity stirred up while reading about Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" though. Looking for a recommendation of a CD release. Thanks!

jonbee

Re: "Rite of Spring" recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2012, 02:49 am »
Yoel Levi and Atlanta SO  has a great sounding disc on telarc. I'm not savvy enough to comment on the performance, but it seems well considered.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2012, 01:09 pm »
I've got a few recordings.  I've got the Levi/Atlanta, the Boulez/NYP, and the Paalo Jarvi/???(SACD) and others I can't remember right now.  Of course the SACD sounds the best, the Boulez sounds the worst (but is probably the best interpretation I have) and the Levi is a good balance of both.  I usually pull out the Levi.  Will look through my collection for the others later.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2012, 03:27 pm »
I have the '61 recording with the composer conducting on vinyl and like it a lot.   I think it's still available on CD although I don't know if I would like it on  CD with presumably different mastering.  I listen to the Abbado recording on CD.

Q.C.B.

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2012, 05:09 pm »
Hi, I can recommend the 1947 version performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Esa-Pekka Salonen dirigidapor (gramaphon) performance is quite good and the quality of the recording so is (beware drums).

greetings.

rbbert

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2012, 09:01 pm »
I think there is a relatively inexpensive Solti "Rite" on CD which is an exciting performance.  Any Boulez "Rite" is worthwhile.  There is a new one by Adam Fischer on Channel Classics which has amazing sound and is also available as SACD, DSD download and PCM download (24/96 or 24/192).

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2012, 09:13 pm »
There is a good recording with Lorin Maazel conducting The Cleveland Orchestra.  I believe it is fairly inexpensive and it is available as an SACD recorded by Telarc.

Randy

Scottdazzle

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm »
I had Gergiev's at some point and enjoyed it ...

http://www.amazon.com/Igor-Stravinsky-Alexander-Scriabin-Orchestra/dp/B00005NIF6/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1352327670&sr=1-5&keywords=right+of+spring

Gergiev's is a very Russian performance.  Solti's on Decca/London is very powerful. I also like Bernstein's and Abbaddo's.

sounddog

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:30 am »
I recommend Bernstein's performance, which really shows off the colors of the various instruments and reflects what strikes me as Bernstein's holistic view of the piece. We actually use this CD as one of our references when auditioning components and cables. I haven't heard other Rite of Spring CDs, however, so I can't compare it to other performances.

Photon46

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2012, 03:20 am »
Arkiv music has 199  :o versions of "The Rite" available today. Sixty two of them have received positive critical reviews, so it's impossible to recommend a definitive version. I've made it a bit of an obsession to collect the Rite in as many versions as I can find. All the recommendations so far are good ones. I really like Markevitch & Chailly myself. Here's a link to the critically recommended recordings available; http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=11684&name_role1=1&comp_id=2942&genre=55&bcorder=195H&album_group=5&start_list=1

coverto

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2012, 03:51 am »
Why not consider Stravinsky's own recording with Columbia? Outstanding performance with outstanding sound quality. That said, the 1958 Bernstein version is the one to seek out.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2012, 01:23 pm »
Thanks all. I will look into these. I guess the Stravinsky Columbia could be at least considered a reference from an interpretation standpoint.

firedog

« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:52 pm »
I have several. the Stravinsky is good. I like Boulez better, actually. The Fischer sounds wonderful, but I think the pace is a little odd in some places.

firedog

« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2012, 02:56 pm »
Ah, forgot this: Stravinsky: Firebird, Petrushka, The Rite Of Spring, Pulcinella / Kreizberg, Monte Carlo Philharmonic

Also very good with good sound; as a package it is a really good deal

simoon

« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2012, 11:49 pm »
Ah...

One of my favorite pieces, ever.

I really like the '75 Deutshe Grammaphon recording with The Berlin Phil with von Karajan conducting. Very good combination of performance quality and recording.

Of course Stravinsky conducting is a must have, just to hear the conductor's own interpretation.

coverto

« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2012, 01:13 am »
Remember that when Stravinsky heard Bernstein's 1958 version his one-word review was "Wow." And in a good way. The truth is that the piece as written is a savage mess to untangle. Bernstein, in his first effort, brought out the savagery without making a mess. In fact, he managed to bring out the beauty, too. He was made to conduct that piece.

saisunil

« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:36 am »
Remember that when Stravinsky heard Bernstein's 1958 version his one-word review was "Wow." And in a good way. The truth is that the piece as written is a savage mess to untangle. Bernstein, in his first effort, brought out the savagery without making a mess. In fact, he managed to bring out the beauty, too. He was made to conduct that piece.

I remember reading somewhere how Bernstein's reading made Stravinsky think - gee, hmm, wow - err that is better than my own ... lol

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 9 Nov 2012, 02:52 am »
I have the '61 recording with the composer conducting on vinyl and like it a lot.   I think it's still available on CD although I don't know if I would like it on  CD with presumably different mastering.  I listen to the Abbado recording on CD.
Hi, Wood.  I have the Abbado on DG vinyl and am about to give a listen.  It's been awhile.  Also have the Maazel on Telarc vinyl and may catch it tomorrow. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:41 am »
Just ordered the Bernstein on CD, largely on the recommendations of sounddog and coverto. Gonna see how that goes. If it whets my appetite, there are lots of versions available on half.com, some only a couple dollars, so I could collect like Photon46  :)

Who knows, I may even look into Frank Zappa's favorite composer, Anton Webern...

Appreciate everybody's input. After a lifetime of almost entirely a rock/jazz/blues diet, I am broadening my tastes. So far, I find chamber music more accessible to my brain than orchestral-scale works- seems to be more room for interplay and improvisation with smaller ensembles. Started with the Meridian Arts Ensemble and their excellent brass quintet arrangements of Zappa and other modern composers, and some other avant garde players like the Turtle Island Quartet. I will see how Rite of Spring hits me.