d200 mk2 with PS Audio PWD?

spreadspectrum

d200 mk2 with PS Audio PWD?
« on: 16 May 2013, 08:32 pm »
I am looking to replace the power amplifier in my main system, and have had my eye set keenly on the D200 mk2's. 

While I have no real reservations in their performance with either my Thiel CS2.4's or the mark 2 version of PS Audio's DAC, I thought I'd inquire as to the experience of readers here, particularly with the DAC.  Information is generally free, after all...   I plan in running the amps directly from the DAC.

Looking forward experiencing CIAudio products for the first time.  Thanks in advance.

CIAudio

Re: d200 mk2 with PS Audio PWD?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2013, 09:32 pm »
Hi Spread,

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have any experience with the PWD, but maybe others can chime in.
The D-200 MKII's should work great with the Thiels.

-Dusty

spreadspectrum

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2013, 12:02 am »
Very gracious of you to reply, Dusty.

Indeed, it seems that your amplifiers and the Thiels would make a superb combination.  As I said, based on my experience with the PWD, I don't expect anything but goodness there either.  Certainly compelling enough to audition.

Will see if anyone has anything else to add on the subject here...

Thanks.

stu

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2013, 12:21 am »
Hi Spread,
I have been using the PWD with D500's for a few years now. I upgraded to the MKII version of the DAC when it became available.  I run the DAC  straight into the amps, and the combination sounds marvelous!  I am sure your experience will be the same.  Dusty's amps are outstanding.

Mark

spreadspectrum

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2013, 01:07 am »
Thanks Mark, that's great to hear.

I presume you have the lower gain variants of the amplifiers.  Out of sheer curiosity, what is your typical range of volume settings on the PWD ?  While I definitely prefer going amp direct, I start to notice the reduction in dynamic range when I get below 40 or so, depending on the media's resolution.

(For fear of being forever likened to a topping), Ryan.

stu

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2013, 01:40 am »
Spread, (it's too late to change now!) :D

I have ben using a preamp until recently, so I have the normal gain on the amps. I may go back to a preamp someday. As for volume settings on the pwd, it is all going to depend on your speaker's efficiency, room size, and how loud you like to listen.  I have a dedicated room and like to listen at live levels, so I am usually in the 48-60 range on the volume. most of the time it is around 51-53.  it will vary with the recordings too.  I have had some classical disc up in the 70 range in order to get the volume right. If you go much below 45 you may notice a loss of dynamics. Another option would be a nice passive preamp.  Then you can set the volume on the pwd in the 60-70 range, set the passive volume where you would normally listen, and then tweak the volume as needed with the pwd remote. Dusty makes a really nice little passive, and I have one. (Another shameless plug for Dusty)
Mark

spreadspectrum

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2013, 02:00 am »
Topping or no, thanks for the information. Obviously, there are lots of variables at play regarding the volume. Much as in your situation, I had been using a preamp for a while. All things considered, I prefer the increased transparency and three dimensionality without the preamp, even with what I perceive as a small hit to dynamics at relatively low volumes. Even so, I often find myself a bit bothered by it (the dynamic issue).

Now, if Dusty made a balanced passive pre-amp...

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2013, 04:31 pm »
If you are using balanced, I'd go with the 26dB version of D-200 MKII as you will have an extra 6db of gain over single-ended.

spreadspectrum

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2013, 05:11 pm »
Indeed, all talk about pre-amplifiers aside, that has been my plan as I suspect the 26 db version of your amplifiers would be a reasonable combination with the PWD.

Will be placing an order in the near future, as funds become available.