VMPS RM V-60 any interest in buying the only speaker like this in the world?

OldScott

I am presently 90 years old with an acute hearing loss due to 5,000 hours flying in jet aircraft. MY upper range hearing falls off at about 5,500hz and lower below 30-hz. So I certainly cannot appreciate the qualities of any good speakers. These are almost certainly the only pair of Signature edition VMPS RM V-60's in existance. They are RM V-60's with mid range bass units and with two six foot VLA bass towers which have four 12 inch speakers and two 15 inch passive speakers. I don't remember the published downward extension of the bass towers but I do remember taking a signal generator, microphone, and sound meter and seeing substantial response to 14hz! My good friend, Dave Housteau and I bought the first two regular edition with the VLA's. Talking with Dave and John Casler there may be only a dozen or made by Brian Chaney out there although I think there are one or two others made from cabinets and parts purchased from Brian's estate when he died in 2012. These have the outboard digital crossover and are normally set up three way. I think Dave and my digital OXO may be different as mine have six wires coming out and his may have only three. Perhaps Brian made mine capable of running both three way and one way (don't remember after 12 years). Shortly before Brian"s death he decided to add a second mid-bass unit for better sound and designate that as his "Signature  Edition". He had manufactured one for testing and it was in rosewood matching my speakers. I bought this shortly before he died and thus think I have the only signature edition that there is. So to end this long post -- I am not sure I will sell these and If so it may not be for a few months. Brian considered the RM V-60's as the greatest of all his designs and maintained that the cheapest speaker on the market matching it would cost over $75,000 and there are many would agree. VMPS was never a widely followed speaker as Brian was only interested in making speakers by order for those who really appreciated his work. He wasn't interested in making a fortune and I really think as long as he made enough to money to live on and make speakers he was happy !A main issue is that I almost certainly will predecease my 80 year old wife and if so she would not have the slightest idea how to dispose of them. So with hearing that may not fully appreciate a pair of cheap Bose speakers I would be happy to resolve the issue for a fair price. A further issue might be that I have no way to ship these and the buyer would need to pick them up in Oklahoma city.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2023, 04:11 pm by OldScott »

Early B.

I think there would be a lot of interest in these speakers. Pictures of your speakers along with a sales price would be very helpful.   

OldScott

I will try to get some pictures up. As to price its hard to place a price on a one of a kind object, sort of like putting a price on the Mona Lisa. However, I would think for these which have been lovenly (to say the least) cared for in a dedicated petfree, smoke free room 67% of the original price of $23,000 would be fair. That would be $15,400 but since it would be necessary to pick these up I will take $14,900 and that might be a bit negotiable (but not by much ) otherwise I will keep them and have my wife burry me in them.

RDavidson

I’m sure your wife doesn’t care about the speakers as much as you, so I’m just going to wait it out, then negotiate with her. :wink: :lol:

OldScott

HA HA Well you likely have a long wait as I am in good health and the Dr. says I just might make it another 10 years.

OldScott

Besides in our very uncertain world I may be around longer than you, who knows?

GeorgeAb

Paul,

To many, many more years of happy listening! Yes, many of us are aging out of the hobby.

Thanks again for your assistance on my RM-V60 project. I am smitten with RM-V60's!

I posted a link to this post on the VMPS facebook page in response to someone looking for the RM-V60s. Below is a picture of your speakers you were kind enough to uploaded to assist Shaukat and my builds along with direct links from the VMPS legacy website describing the RM-V60's and the Very Large Array subwoofers. You have the double pedestals in rosewood, very nice.

https://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/RMV60.htm
https://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/subwoofers.htm

« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2023, 03:08 pm by GeorgeAb »

JakeJ

Those are incredible, oldscott!  Here is a link to a pair of just the RM 60's with bass base in rosewood that were advertised on Audiogon.  In that ad he was asking $6500 but do not know if they sold for that.  I do think your asking price is reasonable considering how complete it is and its uniqueness.
Linky

And good luck with your sale!

OldScott

THANKS for the pictures George! Sure saved me a lot of trouble digging them out and posting.

OldScott

erniejade

Beautiful speakers!