Primary site URL does not work from the top of this page

Bingenito

I frequent this circle to see if there is any news on Spatial. Sadly there has not been anything since December. That said while browsing this circle and the site I noticed that Spatial updated their site a few weeks ago and in doing so the URL at the top of this page is broken.

Advanced Open Baffle Speakers. http://www.spatialaudio.us/.

The new URL is https://www.spatialaudiolab.com/

ServerAdmin

Re: Primary site URL does not work from the top of this page
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2024, 12:02 pm »
Thanks, fixed :)

Mr. Big

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2024, 05:18 pm »
Very nice site now and the build quality looks fantastic and better looking than before. They need to explain the difference between the X4 and Ultra models. Whom each would work best for depending on one's idea of good sound and style of music. 

Bingenito

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2024, 09:19 am »
Thanks for updating the link.

No teaser on what is going to be at the show in 3 days?

doggie

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2024, 07:10 pm »
Very nice site now and the build quality looks fantastic and better looking than before. They need to explain the difference between the X4 and Ultra models. Whom each would work best for depending on one's idea of good sound and style of music.

I too would be curious what the sonic difference is between them since they cost the same and in terms of measured specs only the impedance differs. I would also be interested why they would not just choose the best sounding one at that same price rather carry two models.

If you drill down a bit there is a comparison between the specs of the "Ultra" and the "Ultra 2024". At 88db I would say that they both will sound a lot better with a lot more than the 20 watts minimum. The nice thing about the previous X3/X5 was that with the powered woofer they were much more efficient making them much more friendly to lower powered tube amps. Also, the Ultra has a nominal 4ohm impedance vs 8ohm for the 2024, making it more current hungry. I would imagine you are moving into the need for a quality solid state amp now. If you had a good 20watt tube amp I would think it would not fare well in a medium/large room as the previous models did.

They are also $10K+ if you figure shipping and tax. I am glad that I bought my X5's before the company changed hands. Hopefully their new release will be more affordable and easier to drive.

Thanks for the posts. It has been exceedingly quiet here.

thestatman

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2024, 05:49 am »
So far it looks like the high point for this brand's releases since inception is the X3.   There have been several versions that one could order of that, 250W or 500W woofer amp for example, and at one point SA offered a capacitor upgrade for the tweeter which was this giant Miflex kpcu can (one had to ask CS for it).   I have the cap upgrade and 500w plate amp and honestly it just rocks.   I await the ultimate speaker release from these guys as it should be amazing and of course probably exxy.

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2024, 02:05 pm »
I too would be curious what the sonic difference is between them since they cost the same and in terms of measured specs only the impedance differs. I would also be interested why they would not just choose the best sounding one at that same price rather carry two models.

If you drill down a bit there is a comparison between the specs of the "Ultra" and the "Ultra 2024". At 88db I would say that they both will sound a lot better with a lot more than the 20 watts minimum. The nice thing about the previous X3/X5 was that with the powered woofer they were much more efficient making them much more friendly to lower powered tube amps. Also, the Ultra has a nominal 4ohm impedance vs 8ohm for the 2024, making it more current hungry. I would imagine you are moving into the need for a quality solid state amp now. If you had a good 20watt tube amp I would think it would not fare well in a medium/large room as the previous models did.

They are also $10K+ if you figure shipping and tax. I am glad that I bought my X5's before the company changed hands. Hopefully their new release will be more affordable and easier to drive.

No one speaker sounds the best, they all sound different and the one you like might not be the one I like, some like ultra-detailed and very natural, while others like a speaker more musical, with good midbass and bottom end which would add weight and body to the midrange. As far as pricing their current line is fairly priced compared to many small 2-way speakers costing as much and much more in fact. Clayton is gone but the speakers and their new team continue to build upon and improve the speakers, want a cheaper version than Clayton is selling now on his site, but rest assured he will be coming out with more expensive speakers again, this current one is just a start-up for his new company to get started and cash flow.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2024, 04:58 pm »

Yes.  Far too quiet!  I may begin a "conversation starter" thread just to liven the place up.  I still love my X3s (now three years old).  I have the 250 watt amps supplemented by two SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofers.  I never knew about the crossover upgrade.  Doesn't matter.  The sound I get is superb.

Hello everyone.  I've really enjoyed our conversations over the years.

Marcus

Mr. Big

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2024, 09:27 pm »
well new speakers from Spatial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9KPDZ16e7Q

doggie

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2024, 01:55 pm »
...but rest assured he will be coming out with more expensive speakers again, this current one is just a start-up for his new company to get started and cash flow.

Glad to hear that. For me Clayton has the "special sauce"...

Mr. Big

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2024, 04:32 pm »
Glad to hear that. For me Clayton has the "special sauce"...

Open baffle speakers are the special sauce if designed well, Clayton is one of a few others that do a superb job with open baffle speakers. If more people could hear them the better, it would be for their success.