Which antivirus you have?

Nick B

Re: Which antivirus you have?
« Reply #60 on: 29 Aug 2016, 04:44 am »
Kaspersky, Malwarebytes free, Ccleaner free

Randy Myers

« Reply #61 on: 29 Aug 2016, 04:57 am »
Windows Defender (with Windows 10) is decent and pretty much similar or about as good as any of the free ones.  It is not as good as Norton's....

Defender if you want a decent free alternative and MalwareBytes free, Norton's and MalewareBytes Pro if you want the best real time protection.  (Kaspersky and BitDefender are also fine) but MalewareBytes along side is essential, weather you get the free version that you have to manually run or the pro version that does real time.

weatherman1

« Reply #62 on: 30 Aug 2016, 05:21 am »
ESET Security System 8....updates the database @ least daily.  Have had no virus infections.  Windows Defender works well but seems slow to update and the creeps love to screw with MS.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #63 on: 30 Aug 2016, 09:07 pm »
Advanced SystemCare 9.1 (free)
AVG AntiVirus (free)
CCleaner V5.21.5700 (free)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (free)

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #64 on: 30 Aug 2016, 09:09 pm »
Webroot. Costs money, but worth every penny. I've haven't been bit in 10yrs and I've been known to travel in some seamy neighborhoods.

Doc

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #65 on: 30 Aug 2016, 10:27 pm »
I just bought a Dell laptop that came with a year subscription to McAfee Live Safe, Security Scan Plus and Web Advisor.

Are you guys saying to uninstall and just use Windows Defender with Malwarebytes?

Regards,

Randy

Dmason

« Reply #66 on: 30 Aug 2016, 11:23 pm »
ive had great experience with Kaspersky.   it has an online keyboard to remove physical keystrokes, and a very active department working on new issues. Very easy on CPU, unnoticeable.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #67 on: 31 Aug 2016, 12:56 am »
I just bought a Dell laptop that came with a year subscription to McAfee Live Safe, Security Scan Plus and Web Advisor.

Are you guys saying to uninstall and just use Windows Defender with Malwarebytes?

Regards,

Randy

I can't speak for anybody else, but that's exactly what I did with my new Dell 15 5559: Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Home Premium, and CCleaner Professional. Full image back up every pay day (because it's easy to remember).

Have fun,

Jerry

steve in jersey

« Reply #68 on: 31 Aug 2016, 02:17 am »
Funny that you should mention PC security.

I just recently picked up this i5 Window 10 Acer laptop & have been enjoying how nicely dBPa version 16.1 has been running on this machine. I think it could benefit things a bit if I swap out the HD with an SSD, but it was Security you wanted to talk about, so here's my take on it.

Being a bit lazy, I picked this up at BB & they bundled Webroot with it so out of curiousity I loaded it to see if it would be "inert" enough to just work in the background
as Windows Defender does. Several minutes into the setup Webroot asked me for a password that I seriously couldn't recall it asking me to create earlier. Having an extremely low tolerance for "password nonsense"(I'm the Administrator & sole user of this laptop which doesn't move more than 3 ft from me in public) I uninstalled it no more than 10 minutes after installing it (I think I even commented to Webroot what I just mentioned.

This Laptop came with "McAffee Advisor" preloaded on it (That also decided to act a bit silly; So that went the same place that Webroot went into the "Ether"). I'm pretty selective about where I'll even go or do online so Windows Defender is sufficient for my needs. I would not be without my System Mechanic Professional working in the background of any OS that I use. I run several system maintenance scans throughout any day I've done anything on my computer,

It's been several years since I've encountered any hints of a virus or malware attack, but honestly, I probably don't spend that many hours online every week. I was talking about nonsense earlier & there's no shortage of that online, so I do myself a favor & avoid it where I can (Life's too short to spend watching YouTube videos I didn't request; Let me ask for it first, on my channel)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #69 on: 21 Feb 2017, 11:10 am »
New feature from Mcafee Security Center:
Protect your identity-Keep all your important files in a secure encrypted folder on your computer.
Unfortunately its not free as Defender.

sonicxtc

« Reply #70 on: 21 Feb 2017, 01:04 pm »
I can't speak for anybody else, but that's exactly what I did with my new Dell 15 5559: Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Home Premium, and CCleaner Professional.

I've used Malwarebytes for years. IF you do get a virus, go into safe mode, run Rkill (freeware) and then scan with Malwarebytes.

A quick sidebar--Jerry wrote:
Full image back up every pay day (because it's easy to remember)
What software do you utilize for a full image backup?
I'd love to start doing a full image with an incremental backup, but I don't know the best software for this task. Thanks.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #71 on: 14 Jul 2020, 07:38 pm »
I have a 'free' well almist free McAfee and I despise the fact it is constatly making me pay attention to it. pop ups telling me  'i am'safe' FU Mc' pop ups wanting me to 'clean' my computer. Hey McF' if I want to clean I damn well will and not when you want. I would NEVER buy this junk as it is just too damn annoying.
plus the menus suck. it is about as useful as mud, Any FREE software has ten times the things it will DO if asked. Not mcF' LOL
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2020, 11:15 pm by Elizabeth »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #72 on: 23 May 2021, 07:51 pm »
No good memories from McAfee a-v it was expensive and occupied a huge HD area with programs that did nothing useful for my PC, when W-Defender free appeared, I changed it immediately and until today did not regret, this was another good idea from uncle Bill.

goodvibrations

• If it sounds good, turn it up to make sure!
« Reply #73 on: 17 Jan 2022, 06:49 pm »
Sophos is great stuff. When I can't run it, Clam/ClamXav is the other Mac solution I like.

Macs are good at playing Typhoid Mary: They'll carry viruses picked up through a variety of attack vectors, and (for example) .exe files don't really mean anything to a Mac, the virus simply gets passed on through email, file transfers, etc.

For PC, Microsoft Security Essentials works better than any others I've tried, and the price is definitely right.
+1 for Sophos. I ran it for years in an enterprise setting with mirrored engine and definition updates for both servers and workstations. Regularly would catch zero day exploits ahead of any of the other pkgs our vendors were running. At least one of them migrated to Sophos as a result.

Free for home users (have to provide an email address to setup an account) and is OS agnostic with versions for MacOS, Win and *nix.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #74 on: 19 Feb 2022, 09:51 pm »
Pfizer

jmc207

« Reply #75 on: 19 Feb 2022, 11:38 pm »