Niles Switch

Tarheel

Niles Switch
« on: 22 May 2022, 09:13 pm »
I have two systems at two houses.  What I would like to do is combine systems at one house and switch between gear through one pair of Spatial Sapphire M4s.
What switch would work?

newzooreview

Re: Niles Switch
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2022, 09:48 pm »
To confirm: you want a switch to control which speaker cables are feeding the M4?

Your setup would be System 1 (source-->preamp-->amp) and System 2 (source-->preamp-->amp) with each amp having speaker cables going to the switch. You use the switch to run the M4s from System 1 or System 2 as desired?

Do you need/want remote control of the switch?

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2022, 09:53 pm »
If the above are correct assumptions and you don't need to do this on-the-fly with a remote control, you could terminate your speaker cables with low-mass copper banana plugs (like the ones that Anticables sells) and then change between systems manually.

Clayton recommends the banana plugs that Anticables uses. Low-mass, high-purity copper is excellent.

Tarheel

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2022, 10:29 pm »
No remote needed.  Just want to switch from one amp/preamp to another using the M4s.

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2022, 10:57 pm »
So you are seeking a line-level switch (e.g., it would switch between sets of RCA or XLR interconnects)?

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2022, 11:06 pm »
If line-level, then Goldpoint makes solid options:

https://goldpt.com/

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2022, 06:10 am »
This caught my eye as a fun piece of gear to swap reference and background gear in/out.   Van Alstine ABX Comparator https://avahifi.com/collections/accessories/products/abx-switch-comparator

Tarheel

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2022, 11:25 am »
Both suggestions are appreciated.  I will contact both dealers to further explore.  I'd rather not have to manually change speaker cables each time I wanted to hear the other system.  The Van Alstine looks interesting but a bit more than I wanted to spend to achieve my goal.