What modern PC parts to buy?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
What modern PC parts to buy?
« on: 15 May 2022, 04:55 pm »
What are some modern motherboards (and cases-n-such) do yo guys recommend?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What modern PC parts to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2022, 05:28 pm »
My 2 cents are:
If possible avoid mobos with TPM chip to avoid W11.
Cabinets with handles are very useful for carry cpu to repair.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2022, 06:51 pm »
There are entire websites dedicated to making great PCs. Some show lists of all the parts needed and may even have where to ge them the cheapest. All you need to do is Google for them.
here is one
https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-pc-builds-gaming
even better:
https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2022, 07:53 pm »
Pretty broad question.

Reviews of parts are good. All manufacturers make good and not as good parts.

For me it’s about being quiet. Fractal makes some nice enclosures. The Meshify for some reason is very quiet. You can also get Noctura fans to replace and put in. For video cards I don’t like stock Nvidia because of noise (otherwise super good cards).

M.2 drive for OS etc but old style spinner HDST for storage. A plain Intel M.2 is fast as fuck, the high end Samsungs may be faster but not required to have 8 second boots.

AMD and Intel are both good. I try to get their latest chipset usually on MoBo’s. I don’t think expensive MoBo’s running the same newest chipsets really offer anything over the cheaper ones. As long as they got basics then all is good IMO.

If you don’t overclock don’t get overclocked ram speed.

Merryvale92

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2022, 11:08 pm »
I'm using an Asus PRIME H470M-PLUS , matching ram and cpu. I would take the advise of no overclocking. Just pay for speed and leave it alone. The case is a NZXT - H510. Nice design if you can skip the CD drive. There are no bays. Buy really quiet fans and set up a good airflow path (fan pulling in air and fan pushing out air. Quiet power supplies and video cards can make for a very quiet unit. If you are going to go USB out, a separate pcie card (nothing expensive) with one or two ports may be a good idea. It doesn't have to be expensive.

The rest of the forum: don't mock me for not using a $300+ usb card. I just can't go there....yet.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2022, 01:33 am »
The simplest answer is ASUS motherboards. The boards are designed to be stable when overclocking so they are super stable at normal speeds and they have terrific chipset cooling, that means they have a longer life. My last ASUS board lasted 10 years of non-stop 14 hour day use.

I like Antec cases, they are quiet and sensibly designed.

Crucial ram works for me, never had a problem in any of my computers in over 20 years. I agree on the M.2 drive, I use Crucial for that too. Computer boots in a heartbeat and system response is almost instantaneous.

Did my research and the Scythe Faze Flex 120mm case fan is the quietest and not very expensive. Use the Noctua NA-SAV2 fan mounts.

The stock Intel processor fan is just fine (as long as you don't overclock), it is quiet. I have a computer with an Intel i7-11700 processor at my feet and can barely hear it, the house AC is louder.

Now selections gets complicated real quick:

Not all motherboards have M.2 slot
Not all motherboards have VGA or DVI-D ports for a monitor
B460 and H410 chipsets are not supported by 11th Gen Intel processors
Intel i7-11700 has integrated graphics that will do 4K @ 60 Hz, comes with a fan, 65 watts, perfect for fanless cases
Intel i7-11700K does not have graphics, no fan included, unclocked, designed for overclocking, 125 watts, cannot be used in a fanless case
Look for motherboards with PCIe 4.0.
PCIe x4 mode is for M.2 slot and only supported by 11th Gen and later processors, which is why I got a 11700 processor.

Are you planning to use computer as a music server? A low jitter power supply should be considered. The Streacom ZF240 power supply ($175) has 50 mV ripple on the 5 volt line and 100 mV on the 12v line.
I listed more options in my fanless music server build thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177495.msg1867916#msg1867916

In my music server I used an Intel Core i7-9700 Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 4.7 GHz LGA1151 300 Series 65W. Didn't need the speed of an M.2 (I have one in my bigger main computer) but since I generally keep computers for 10 years I was thinking of a little future proofing, who knows what software will be available in the future. Plus if I want to play around with HQ Player I have the horsepower.

Next up: Windows 11.
Unless you are planning to move to the Apple operating system or Linux in 3 years then Windows 11 is in your future. Why?
Windows 10 End Of Life is Oct. 14, 2025, that means no more security updates. Windows 10 will be 10 years old by then, plenty of time for hackers to find security holes and wait for the fools who don't update to 11.

If you are running Windows 10 now you can build a completely new computer and install either the Windows 10 or 11 ISO from a thumbdrive and the install will be legal because your Microsoft license is now registered with your Microsoft Account instead of the hardware as it previously was. You got to do a few thing first though, it's not automatic. I've posted how-to a few times here on AC and there are instructions all over the web.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2022, 01:38 am »
I would use an all in one liquid CPU cooler. Much quieter.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2022, 04:58 am »
I agree with Fractal Cases.  I built a custom computer to act as my music server and use a Fractal Design Quiet case and it is awesome.  It is modular with quite a few fans with filter screens.  I also use low noise Noctua fans for cooling. A Crucial Rmx 550 low ripple and on demand quiet fan power supply.  It made a very noticeable sonic improvement from my high end laptop.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2022, 05:12 am »
I don't have Windows 10. Unless I get Windows for free, I am using some other software.

I will get an Antec case, Asus motherboard, and absolutely no TPM chips.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2022, 08:38 am »
I agree with Fractal Cases.  I built a custom computer to act as my music server and use a Fractal Design Quiet case and it is awesome.  It is modular with quite a few fans with filter screens.  I also use low noise Noctua fans for cooling. A Crucial Rmx 550 low ripple and on demand quiet fan power supply.  It made a very noticeable sonic improvement from my high end laptop.

I have a quiet case, and regret it over the Meshify. I've built two quiet cases and one Meshify. The Meshify is significantly better.

mhconley

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2022, 12:34 pm »
I stopped buying PC components and building my own PCs when I discovered the Intel NUC. My "desktop" PC is 4.5" x 4.5" x 2" and does everything I need a PC to do, silently. My gaming PC is 8.75" x 5.5" x 1.5", does everything I need a gaming PC to do and also silent.

Martin

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2022, 01:48 pm »
I stopped buying PC components and building my own PCs when I discovered the Intel NUC. My "desktop" PC is 4.5" x 4.5" x 2" and does everything I need a PC to do, silently. My gaming PC is 8.75" x 5.5" x 1.5", does everything I need a gaming PC to do and also silent.

Martin
Is there a fanless one now? I have one a few years old now, bulletproof for Roon ROCK, but it does have a tiny fan.

mhconley

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2022, 02:48 pm »
Is there a fanless one now? I have one a few years old now, bulletproof for Roon ROCK, but it does have a tiny fan.

Mine do have fans. The desktop sitting about 18" away from my ears is so quiet it is basically silent in normal operation. My gaming PC hooked up to my 85" TV is 9' away and I never hear it.

So while not truly silent they are in essence.

Martin

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2022, 03:08 pm »
If worried about fan noise, many Noctua fans make only 11-25db sound.  Add a quiet case and you won't hear it.

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2022, 03:18 pm »
I will get an... Asus motherboard, and absolutely no TPM chips.

Let us know what you find, there may be other builders that don't want or need a TPM chip.

The ASUS Prime B365M-A motherboard I bought in July 2021 has a TPM chip but it was not enabled. The ASUS website had a BIOS update that enabled the chip or I could have enabled it manually.
The ASUS Prime H570M-Plus motherboard I bought in August 2021 had the latest BIOS with TPM enabled.

Because the majority of people use Windows I would guess all new motherboards have an enabled TPM chip. The chip can always be turned off in the BIOS.

ASUS - How to disable TPM when update to BIOS version default support Windows 11
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1047459/

garyalex

« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2022, 04:13 pm »
When I saw this post I decided to take a look at current GPU prices.  Availability and pricing seem to have improved a little from 8 months ago when I was in the market.  Still, this part remains a major expense for PC building.

viggen

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2022, 11:35 pm »
Powering the MB with a LPS took it up a notch.
Installing Matrix Element H USB card took it up another notch.
Powering the USB card with LPS took it up 3 notches.

I have HDPlex 300 powering both MB and USB card.  And, PicoPSU is between MB and LPS.

Also, using a touchscreen monitor.  It's just a joy to use.

Jan_Mc

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2022, 01:54 am »
If worried about fan noise, many Noctua fans make only 11-25db sound.  Add a quiet case and you won't hear it.

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

Exactly this.  I upgraded my computer recently with new mb, processor, ram and power supply.  All fans (cpu, and 3 case fans) are now Noctua and the computer puts out about 30 db, which is generally quieter than the environment in general.  It is a full on gaming computer and is always more or less dead quiet.

andy_c

« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2022, 05:53 pm »
For those considering an AMD CPU for a machine used for audio playback, be aware of the Intermittent System Stutter Experienced with fTPM Enabled on Windows 10 and 11 problem.  I experienced intermittent audio cutouts every few days in my HTPC until I disabled fTPM in the BIOS.  Since then, I've run it for months with zero glitches.  I haven't seen a BIOS update yet to fix it.  AMD is supposed to come out with a fix this month, then hardware vendors need to incorporate it into their BIOS releases.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2022, 11:01 am »
W10 also have a driver for the TPM in th OS(C:) folder drivers that you could rename, but I preferred delete part of the file content.