Windows 11

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Windows 11
« on: 18 Jun 2021, 06:04 am »
Beware next week 24JUN21 more unsolicited stuff will coming to your PC, yes yet another new user interface...   :duh:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Windows 11
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2021, 09:46 am »
We've had Win 10 forever now.  Being a digital dislexic I've been happy keeping a familiar OS, but I wonder why it's been so long between new releases.  It seems Apple has a new one every year, at least seems that way.

Digi-G

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2021, 01:15 pm »
I see it has rounded corners now on most of the windows.  Reminds me of Windows 3.1    :o

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2021, 01:26 pm »
I'm sticking with Windows 7 until my PC finally dies and I'm forced to upgrade to something new.

gates

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2021, 01:39 pm »
Linus Tech Tips had a decent video on it yesterday, surprisingly drivers updated on the leaked copy

Digi-G

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2021, 03:48 pm »
I'm sticking with Windows 7 until my PC finally dies and I'm forced to upgrade to something new.
Seriously, Windows 7 was awesome.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2021, 10:51 pm »
I wonder why it's been so long between new releases. 

I just read a bit about the new release, which has a brief history near the top.  It explains the change in Microsoft's approach to updates.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-11-a-glorified-theme-pack-we-can-all-live-with/

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2021, 11:56 pm »
I go with the flow, bring 11 on. Microsoft has been changing their look and interface since 1982 and I have enjoyed them all (except Vista which came installed on a laptop I won).

Windows 1.0 came out November 20, 1985 but before that I used Microsoft Basic-80 written in CP/M on a Kaypro 2 which was released in 1982.
A few years later I had a faster 80286-based PC-AT running Microsoft MS-DOS. Then a faster PC running Windows 3.11 and I haven't stopped.
I love pressing new buttons and icons saying to myself "what does this do?" I discovered I can't really break a computer but some people can (my cousin Ellen is one).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2021, 07:17 am »
They are saying W11 was modeled to web developers what are far away from most PC users needs, as MS dont have tradition of forcing its products on its users like Mozila does, I have hopes I can keep this W10 that I know well and has a good level of security, all what I dont need now is a new OS even if its for free.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2021, 01:44 pm »
They are saying W11 was modeled to web developers what are far away from most PC users needs, as MS dont have tradition of forcing its products on its users like Mozila does, I have hopes I can keep this W10 that I know well and has a good level of security, all what I dont need now is a new OS even if its for free.

One can always use an OS for as long as you want. It's just that MS will no longer support W10 after 2025.

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2021, 03:34 pm »
I liked windows 7 mainly because I could record copy-protected TV.  Now, I can't do that.

I had to get rid of all the "dual screen" start menu stuff to make windows 10 like windows 7.  Once that was done, it was OK.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2021, 04:53 pm »
It looks like I don't have to worry about Windows 11 anymore.

Now Microsoft’s app will say why your PC isn’t ready for Windows 11
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550951/microsoft-pc-health-checkup-app-update-windows-11-compatibility-tool-details

I ran the Microsoft PC Health Check v2.3 and failed. I built my PC 10 years ago in 2011 using an Asus P8H67-V (REV3) motherboard and a 2nd Gen Intel i7 2600K 3.4G.
Windows 11 requires a UEFI with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM2.0) with Secure Boot.
My Asus does not have the TPM2.0 module which was not introduced until 2016 plus the Intel i7 2600K doesn't support the required Platform Trust Technology (PTT).

You may get one of these error messages

The Windows PC Health Check is available here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

The Windows 11 Supported Intel Processor list is here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

If your processor is supported but your motherboard isn't, a add-in TPM card might work. Even though Windows 11 isn't released yet add-in card prices are going up already.

Do you really need to buy a TPM for Windows 11?
https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/do-you-really-need-to-buy-a-tpm-for-windows-11/455136

PSB Guy

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2021, 06:02 pm »
My 2013ish Dell laptop's processor is too old (i5 4200u), and it doesn't have a TPM. I guess I'm sticking with Windows 10 until I buy a new system with Windows 11 installed. Probably some time  next year when the house is paid off. At least Microsoft will still be providing updates to Windows 10 until 2025.

Cornelis

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2021, 09:13 pm »
Will Fastie has an easy to read article in the current Ask Woody (formerly Windows Secrets) newsletter. Needless so say he is not a fan of this new update path.
https://www.askwoody.com/newsletter/free-edition-windows-11-announced/

"No specific dates were given. Even the general availability date was mentioned only as “holiday,” which typically means by Thanksgiving in the US. Insider builds are coming, but nothing specific about them was offered."

"There are three key hardware requirements from this morass of information:

Windows 11 requires a 64-bit CPU;
    Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0;
    Windows 11 requires at least an eighth-generation Intel processor or an AMD processor from no earlier than 2019.

"Speaking personally, I do not have a PC that measures up. My primary PC, which works just fine, thanks, has an excellent and fast fourth-generation i5 processor. My other PCs are older. All run Windows 10. None will run Windows 11. My wife just got a new Lenovo Yoga for her birthday, and it will run 11. If only she’d let me use it. Susan Bradley reports similar problems."

By Windows 10 end of life on October 14th, 2025 (no more security updates) my computers will be 15 years old, if they last that long, so the change to Windows 11 will be automatic and painless. Windows 11 is barely in Beta testing and a long way from getting released, so far there are only a few screen shots. Anyone hyperventilating over the new OS can press one nostril closed with your finger and slowly breathe in and out through the open nostril. Repeat as necessary for 4 years. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2021, 10:49 am »
Thanks for inform, appreciated the links :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2021, 11:44 pm »
Palladium software initially appeared in Windows Vista and was removed due protests from users and the Microsoft community, now in W11 it came back renamed to TPM and is built into the motherboard hardware as a chip.

It will control all your PC resources and all the activities you do on your PC such as the number of times you can watch a video, listen to music, open an installed program, open a PDF file, open an image, view a photo etc all based on DRM.

The TPM will not allow you to install a program without a valid certificate or an expired certificate. This TPM hardware is a chip that has been placed in every PC since 2006 dormant and now in W11 this inactive chip will be activated.

On W11 only TPM can communicate with CPU, HD, RAM memory, peripherals, led monitors etc etc... the TPM also will manage the certificates of the websites your internet browser visits via https to not allow you surf the internet on ''unsafe'' sites and TPM may also block your PC or Server or your hard drive if it is considered ''unsafe'', as is already done with any smartphone and still there is IPv6 to find you.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2021, 02:13 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2021, 04:14 am »
To know if your PC have a TPM chip in the Power Shell type:
get-tpm
Or in the exec command line type:
tpm.msc
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2021, 09:02 pm by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2021, 09:15 pm »

TpmPresent
"True" TPM chip is present in your PC,
''False'' TPM chip not found or is disabled.

TpmReady
''True'' TPM chip already active.
''False'' TPM is inactive or disabled.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2021, 10:32 pm »
Most computers since 2011 have a TPM chip although it may be turned off. Just turning it on in the BIOS won't do anything for people who bought their computer before 2019 because that TPM chip has version 1.2. Check your computer's model number or motherboard manufacturer to see if there is a TPM firmware update to 2.0.

Right click and run PowerShell get-tpm in Administrative Mode. If it says:
TpmPresent: True
TpmReady: False

Type exit to exit PowerShell

You will have to turn TPM on in the BIOS. After TPM is enabled -
In the Windows Search box type: tpm.msc
The Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Management window should open.
Under the TPM Manufacturer Information subwindow, look for the Specification Version. You should see what TPM version your PC is running under there. 

The current minimum system requirement for Windows 11 is TPM 2.0.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2021, 10:51 pm »
Thank God my mobo dont have it,
so Iam free of the W11 annoyance.
Do you have read my post #15 ?