My new speakers (Upgraded X-Statik build)

electronicsfanatic

Re: My new speakers (Upgraded X-Statik build)
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jan 2020, 06:14 am »
My guess is start over.

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jan 2020, 06:21 am »
Removable crossovers.

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jan 2020, 06:58 am »
Just going to start over!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jan 2020, 03:23 pm »
Just going to start over!

Veneering over well adhered veneer should not be a problem. If the doubled up edge is visible, it might make a minor difference that way. Unless there are other factors, I think you'd be fine to put a second layer on.

Best practice would dictate that you'd do same on both sides so as to balance the assembly.  I've ignored this rule of thumb a at times with no ill consequence, but on an unbraced panel like the top half of X Static, I think it would be a good idea, lest you get a bow pulling toward the doubled up side a month or two down the road.

Or do over, I guess, if you've already started.

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2020, 03:54 pm »
Thanks Peter I can say it is well veneered (heat locked with 5 days indoor setup time).  The baffle is 1.5" thick MDF all the way so no bowing.  So I might give it a go to veneer over the top after magnets installed.

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #25 on: 20 Feb 2020, 06:15 am »
Over the past few days I have looked at some of the comments (many of them way old) on YouTube.  One guy sarcastically said they are only Peerless drivers!  He made this comment I think on the X-LS speakers.  I tell you what, I cannot wait to get these X-Statiks put together.  I’m redoing the box.  I’m running them all freeair and flat on a piece of board.  Even off axis and full freeair with no backwave they sound fantastic.  The modified crossovers get better and better with time.  I only have about three hours on them and wish I could post a sound clip on this site.  Even though that wouldn’t do them justice.  I literally laid on the ground between them and was imagining how great they would sound with dual H-frame subwoofers.  I have them blended right now with a Yamaha 10” ported subwoofer with the cut and gain tunned low.  I listened to one of my more recent favorite  male vocalists Aaron Lewis live at the Mohegan sun and this easily met/exceeded my expectations on loudness/clarity.  I know things will only get better with time but, only if I had more time in the picture= speakers done.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #26 on: 20 Feb 2020, 05:12 pm »
As I work on these X-Statiks today I finally got to here my first set of OB speakers.  Probably well out of my league!  If I had the money and heard the NX-Oticas with double/triple OB servo subs iI would think they would give them a run for the money.  They are the Magic  LX 521s with two Emotiva 5 channels pushing them.  They had a Rotel Preamp and it made for a good day in itself.  Designed by Mr. Linkowitz himself. :nono:

I've heard those speaker many times and the X-Static is going to be just a bit better than they are.  If you move up to the NX-Ottica or Super 7 speakers, they are a LOT better than the Linkwitz speakers.

Tlesnau@me.com

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2020, 08:45 pm »
do you know of anyone who has made their X-Statik's with a removable base so that the networks are easier to access.  If so, how did they do it.