WyWires - A Complete System Review

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: WyWires - A Complete System Review
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:06 am »
Not a BETTER strategy, but a cable tour of just the digital cable would be a great idea IMO.  Its tied with the original formula Hot Sauce interconnect as my favorite as your products and its cost is reasonable to those going the transport/dac route.

A Little late but a fantastic idea.... :thumb:

wywires

« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:23 am »
A Little late but a fantastic idea.... :thumb:

Actually it's a little early since I only have a handful of comments and reactions as well as some suggestions for improvement. I would like to make sure the product is at least 90-95% there before releasing it on tour while the tour helps close the gap between 90% and 99.9%. The Juice II evolved as a result of the tours but I was pretty happy with the original.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2011, 04:13 am »
I received a package of WyWires from Alex as part of the western tour several days ago, and finally took most of the day to put them into two different systems for evaluation.  The bits that I specifically spent time with were the interconnects and the Juice power cords. 

System One
Integrated Amps- a pair of custom Dodd EL-84 based integrated monoblocks.
Speakers- GR-Research Neo 2X with upgrades w/o sub
Source- Virtue Piano CD transport with DIYParadise Monica II Dac battery powered. The Virtue is powered with a DIY cord.
Cables- Straley
IC- Electra Cables
PC- Iron lung Jellyfish

System 2
Amp- modded Moscode 300
Preamp- Dodd Battery Pre
Source- Cambridge 640C with Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre Dac on a Dodd battery system
PC to the Cambridge is the Electra Cables B7
PC to the amp is stock, captive.

Music- Joshua Judges Ruth by Lyle Lovette
          Brand New Day by Sting

In system 1, the first change was the power cord on the amps.  Right off the bat on Joshua Judges Ruth, the resonance of the piano had the sound of the whole instrument, sound stage widened, echos weren't vague but room defining, back up vocals became individual voices, all vocals were better defined especially softly ending consonants and leading edges, soft passages in piano shimmered, soft vocals had a breathy quality not noticed before.
On Sting's Brand New Day drum sets were precisely placed, sound stage widened, and echoes defined space rather than muddying it. 
Overall, the Juice power cord is a monsterously huge step up from the Jellyfish.  Although there is a substantial price difference, I'll be placing my order soon.  In my opinion, these are $ well spent.

Next I changed the Electra cable IC's from dac to integrated amp to the Wywires.  Vocal clarity and overall detail had a slight increase, yet in a way that was more relaxed- you might say detail without edge.  Soundstage widened slightly, and instruments moved further behind the vocalist.  The leading attack of percussion softened when compared to the Electracables.
Here, there were more things in common than things that separated the power cords.  Overall, the Wywires were best, but not uniformly across the board.  Also with substantial increase in cost, I'll stick to my Electracables.   

In system 2, since most of it had captive power cords, or was battery powered, only the IC's were evaluated.  After reading my notes, the same observations about wider and deeper sound stage, increased detail without becoming edgy, and the attack of percussion not quite as crisp was apparent on the big full range speakers.  In addition, deep bass was slightly more detailed.  The Wywires again proved to have more going for them, but not by a wide margin.  Their most intriguing feature is that ability to increase detail, yet not appear to have a sharpness- sure makes for easy listening. 

All in all, WyWires makes a high quality product that could add detail, sound stage, and musicality to your system.  For me, I like the power cords. I've been looking for an excuse to cut the old PC off my Moscode, and this is it. 

Alex, thanks for the opportunity to audition your cables.  You make a fine product.

Scott

wywires

« Reply #23 on: 24 Mar 2011, 07:43 pm »
I received a package of WyWires from Alex as part of the western tour several days ago, and finally took most of the day to put them into two different systems for evaluation.  The bits that I specifically spent time with were the interconnects and the Juice power cords. 

System One
Integrated Amps- a pair of custom Dodd EL-84 based integrated monoblocks.
Speakers- GR-Research Neo 2X with upgrades w/o sub
Source- Virtue Piano CD transport with DIYParadise Monica II Dac battery powered. The Virtue is powered with a DIY cord.
Cables- Straley
IC- Electra Cables
PC- Iron lung Jellyfish

System 2
Amp- modded Moscode 300
Preamp- Dodd Battery Pre
Source- Cambridge 640C with Twisted Pear Buffalo Sabre Dac on a Dodd battery system
PC to the Cambridge is the Electra Cables B7
PC to the amp is stock, captive.

Music- Joshua Judges Ruth by Lyle Lovette
          Brand New Day by Sting

In system 1, the first change was the power cord on the amps.  Right off the bat on Joshua Judges Ruth, the resonance of the piano had the sound of the whole instrument, sound stage widened, echos weren't vague but room defining, back up vocals became individual voices, all vocals were better defined especially softly ending consonants and leading edges, soft passages in piano shimmered, soft vocals had a breathy quality not noticed before.
On Sting's Brand New Day drum sets were precisely placed, sound stage widened, and echoes defined space rather than muddying it. 
Overall, the Juice power cord is a monsterously huge step up from the Jellyfish.  Although there is a substantial price difference, I'll be placing my order soon.  In my opinion, these are $ well spent.

Next I changed the Electra cable IC's from dac to integrated amp to the Wywires.  Vocal clarity and overall detail had a slight increase, yet in a way that was more relaxed- you might say detail without edge.  Soundstage widened slightly, and instruments moved further behind the vocalist.  The leading attack of percussion softened when compared to the Electracables.
Here, there were more things in common than things that separated the power cords.  Overall, the Wywires were best, but not uniformly across the board.  Also with substantial increase in cost, I'll stick to my Electracables.   

In system 2, since most of it had captive power cords, or was battery powered, only the IC's were evaluated.  After reading my notes, the same observations about wider and deeper sound stage, increased detail without becoming edgy, and the attack of percussion not quite as crisp was apparent on the big full range speakers.  In addition, deep bass was slightly more detailed.  The Wywires again proved to have more going for them, but not by a wide margin.  Their most intriguing feature is that ability to increase detail, yet not appear to have a sharpness- sure makes for easy listening. 

All in all, WyWires makes a high quality product that could add detail, sound stage, and musicality to your system.  For me, I like the power cords. I've been looking for an excuse to cut the old PC off my Moscode, and this is it. 

Alex, thanks for the opportunity to audition your cables.  You make a fine product.

Scott

Thanks Scott for trying the cables and providing your honest impressions. As has been said many times many ways, all cables are VERY system dependent and also dependent upon what aspect of audio performance provides each listener with the cue that what is being heard sounds live and natural. This is different for everybody and every system.

Looks like the Juice II is a winner.

Alex

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #24 on: 24 Mar 2011, 08:46 pm »
Alex,
I'd go further than that.  Your interconnects are definitely winners as well.  I am still confounded how they managed to increase detail, yet take off a bit of brightness- in my system of course.  Usually I've found those to be mutually exclusive.
Again, these aren't just another interconnect and another power cord.

Scott